“Above Expectation and My Expectations Are High”
Review of The Homestead

The Homestead
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Evanston
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Above Expectation and My Expectations Are High”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

In 2010 my New Years resolution was to quit staying at chain hotels. If I am going to spend money I want it to at least be an experience. Just think about it - You spend at least $100 to $150 a night. Should it not be just the same old same old?

Anyway on to my review of the Homestead. The short version is I loved it. I was there 4 nights.

First the location. Close to the University. Tons of dining close by. Easy access.

The building. This is not you hotel cliche. The lobby is warm and inviting and everything is very clean and smells that way. There is nothing worse than going into a lobby and smelling smells that should not be there.

The people. If they were any nicer or more helpful I would think they were my Mom. Seriously though, the people at the front desk were able to help me several times with directions and suggestions on where to eat. They were right on every time.

The rooms. My number one thing is clean. That is obviously their number one thing too. Not only are they clean but the decor is nice and welcoming and everything was well maintained. I loved having a kitchen.

So my resolution stands. No more chains. Experience something different. Next year I may give up chain restaurants, :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was in between homes and needed a place to stay that was quaint, clean, and in the middle of everything. The Homestead was that place. Before you even get inside the beautiful garden greets you in the front. You walk in and are greeted by the warm smiles of the front desk staff. Check in was quick and to the point, any questions I had the staff answered right away. Free breakfast in the mornings and great sleep at night. The lake is right around the corner and Chicago is only a few train stops away. In the midst of all the new technology it was refreshing to be somewhere that was elegantly simple. The patrons of the hotel seemed to love this place. I overheard some rooms are more updated than others, which is great because I really. want to come back and experience all the different room types. Some rooms have kitchens, while others have a lake view, they even have rooms to accommodate pets! This place has the right name. If colonial furnishings take you too far back, then bring your self into the future with a meal or drink at Quince, the perfect modern compliment to an older hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Winchester
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Others have commented that this is not the most up to date hotel in terms of air con etc etc, and maybe that is the case up to a point. However, that didn't particularly bother me or my family who were fortunate enough to stay in a very spacious suite for what I thought was a very reasonable weekly rate. We felt very much at home after our first night with the added convenience of a small but nicely arranged kitchen for occasional use. Staff were always friendly and accommodating whenever we had queries.

Great location for lakefront, local shops and amenities. Would have no hesitation in returning there.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here in while the heat wave hit the midwest. The hotel was nicely furnished & fairly comfortable. The bed had a slight body indent which was ok. Bathroom was fine. Only draw back was the blinds and air codintioner. Since the sun rises early at this time of year (5:30 am), it's important for an international traveller to have a dark room to get some rest. Unfortunately this room had only venetians covering the windows that didn't close all the way down, nor reach the sides of the window adequately to block the sun out. The air conditioner was old and small and worked its guts out for a while to get the room temperature comfortable. Apart from these two problems, my stay was fine.

• Stayed July 2012
Tokyo
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The facade is very nice, Colonial Look.

I stayed here for three weeks and the staff at the Front Desk were all friendly and accommodating.

Unfortunately, the room is also "colonial" and needs modern day updating. The Wi-Fi just would not connect very well and the reception was very week to moderate at best. Requested room change, but that did not solve the problem, so figure that the whole network needs attention.

Air conditioner (window type) was not only noisy, but wasn't cooling, so called the engineer to fix and it took them 2 days to find out that the unit was not working, so they install a new one (to another window).

The bathtub drain must be from the 60s and just would not drain quickly. The plug was one of those plastic/rubber flat plugs that I have not seen in ages.

The room I stayed in had a small kitchen (nice feature), but the pots/pans and frying pan were from the 60s also and everything stuck/burned and I had to go out and by a Teflon coated frying pan. The faucet in the kitchen also dripped and took them two full days to fix it.

All in all, a very nice small hotel in a very quiet neighborhood, but it needs upgrading ASAP.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hirokoby
, Director of Sales at The Homestead, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.
We appreciate you mentioning the beautiful exterior of our property. The detail and charm of the 1920’s craftsmanship is something that we take great pride in, as we are a registered historic hotel.

We agree with you about the upgrading, and are in the process of doing just that. Unfortunately, upgrades on a 90 room hotel don’t happen overnight, and tend to be ongoing, due to the frequency of traffic. The Homestead makes steady improvements all year long, and we have plenty of fresh implementations one the way. We know that we don’t look like a generic chain hotel, but we think that’s a good thing!

I’m sorry to hear of your maintenance issue with the air conditioner and faucet. There is no excuse for a two day delay in any maintenance service that we provide. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We discussed your specific experience at our recent management meeting, so as to discourage any repeated or similar experiences in the future.

Thank you for mentioning the positive attributes of having a kitchen in your suite.
For your reference, all of our pots and pans in house are a high quality stainless steel, and have been purchased due to their commercial grade and high durability. While some do get more use than others, I can assure you that none of them are from the 60’s.

We recognize that many people are more accustomed to non-stick pans, and tend to use those at home. While Teflon pans are significantly more affordable, and for some easier to use, we still think it’s better to have the high quality of stainless steel for the use of our guests.

Thank you for mentioning our great location, and our friendly and accommodating staff!
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Initial impression upon entering the lobby level was that it's old. We are used to Westin type of hotels. The elevator is small, old and slow. The hallway on our 6th floor reminded me of an old apartment. Upon entering the room, the same feeling. But, over 3 night stay we increasingly liked it more and more. It feels like home but with the convenience of a hotel that serves your needs in a down to earth sorta way. Very comfortable bed, good water pressure in shower, soft sheets, flat screen tv, ample closet space with plenty hangers, coffee machine, fully acceptable toiletries, continental breakfast, but no doorman, no valet, none of the things in fancy hotels that suck up your tip money. Also, conveniently located very near Northwestern and downtown Evanston in a very safe feeling picturesque neighborhood street. Hotel uses an off property public parking lot about one block away that is quite large and brightly lit and safe feeling. Still, not as convenient as on property lot. Street parking in front of the hotel was usually available though. It all somehow works towards a rather unique hotel experience
and we really enjoyed it. Thanks Homestead.

• Stayed June 2012
MidWest
Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in desperate need of upgrading, including getting more than one elevator. Beds werent comfortable, air conditioner was an old window unit. I was expecting this to be quaint, it wasn't. Photos on the wall were strange. Positives - staff was super friendly, everything was clean, it was cheap, mediocre continental breakfast. There has to be a better place to stay - we stayed here for a wedding (paid $110 I think). I would have gladly paid more for a nicer place, I saw a Hilton down the road that I wish I checked out. Otherwise stay in Chicago and take the train in

• Stayed May 2012
, Director of Sales at The Homestead, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thanks for reviewing The Homestead on Tripadvisor. We appreciate you sharing your experience.

For your reference, The Homestead does have a second elevator located towards the rear of the building. The second elevator is often used for freight, as it is larger, and more accommodating for bigger items. For the convenience of our guests, there is a sign posted to indicate the alternate elevator just past the lobby elevator, located on the revolving door of the hallway. We wish we would have known you were looking for another option, as our concierge team would have happily redirected you.

We understand that everyone has different likes and dislikes when it comes art. It is for this very reason that we feel it is important to mention that most of the art that we have on our walls are actually original pieces of work, and not mass produced prints. While we understand, like all art, that this may not be everyone’s choice, the art in the building was a detail that the hotel ownership took great care with.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and specifically for mentioning our friendly staff and clean accommodations. We certainly do appreciate it!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Hilton Orrington/Evanston
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to The Homestead? Share your experiences!