“Quick Trip To Evanston”
Review of The Homestead

The Homestead
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I was called to a meeting in Evanston, IL and spent all of 24 hours there. I did not spend much time in my room except to sleep. The price was right, the location seemed just fine, the tv set was a left-over from the 70's, but it worked. This is not a fancy place, and no doubt it has seen better days. If you are a traveler who demands high gloss, this is not the place for you. But it is comfortable, the staff is friendly and accommodating, and I had a good nights sleep. The breakfast was just fine as well. All in all, what more could a person ask for? I would certainly go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Homestead

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed here for a week over the summer. Good value for money. My room was charming but a little worn - that added to the character. It is an older building and the elevator is slow but acceptable. It is homey and charming. It is within walking distance to many eateries and shops and of course, the university and public transportation. The staff were moderately helpful (sometimes a bit aloof and indifferent) and the breakfast buffet was barely acceptable - in addition they tried taking the food away before the establiched time and seemed to be anxious to shoo us out - noth the best service. I had to sleep with earplugs and the windor conditioner was extremely noisy - but I always take ear plugs when I travel becasuse of such situations. The restaurant is exceptional. The location is fabulous.There were some things I didn't particularly care for about the hotel. That said, I enjoyed my stay and would book here again if in Evanston - it was generally a nice experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank luckyoregontraveller
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Recently stayed a weekend at the Homestead, and came away quite contented. As others have mentioned, the place is old, and some of the details such as sink handles, doorknobs etc. show it. To my way of thinking, that is an advantage. Everything worked, and the historic feel of the surroundings made it all the more cozy. I don't care if the showerhead was made in 1930 as long as it still works. I can guarantee you anything modern installed today won't last 80 years. I prefer old school!
Our limited interaction with the staff was always professional and friendly. Again, that's all I ask.
The bed was so comfortable I told my wife I wanted to take it home. It seems to be standard these days that hotel beds are hard as granite, and this one wasn't. It was soft, but not too soft. I got two good nights sleep, which I almost never do in a hotel.
The price paid was also a great value. It was a holiday weekend, and Northwestern was also playing a home football game, but the rates hadn't been doubled like so many other hotels. Its also nice that free parking is included, though the garage is a block away. We parked right in front of the place both nights we were there, however, so it wasn't an issue.
The only reason I didn't give the place five stars instead of four was the morning breakfast. The selection was a bit limited, and I like having a choice of more than one kind (orange) of juice with my meal. The second morning we were there the selection looked a bit better, but we had previous plans to eat elsewhere so we didn't sample it. Just get me some cranberry or grapefruit juice next time and all will be forgiven!
All in all, it was a neat place to stay and centrally located to everyplace we wanted to be. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank greatscott73
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I have had the good fortune of staying at The Homestead for over a month now. I am so impressed by the place, by every detail, and most of all by the kind and warm nature of everyone who works here. It is so important to experience that kind of attention from hotel staff; it makes being on one's own and someplace new so much easier to live with well. The rooms are spacious and clean and cheery, the place is very quiet, the location can't be beat, and best of all, the staff is tremendously helpful and efficient. They seem to love working here. So, if you are looking for a mom and pop kind of inn where the rooms and gracious and affordable, where lovely trees line the outside of your windows, where the front desk attendant will know the best bike route for you to take across town, and where you can dine in an excellent restaurant without even leaving your hotel - this is your place!
- Rebecca Joy Fletcher
Playwright and performer from New York City

Room Tip: I have a room facing the back and I love that. I haven't seen the rooms facing the front, thoug...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Rebecca F
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Step on to the wonderful porch and you realize there is something different here that you won't find at chains like Hilton - it feels like a special home away from home. The staff is so very kind and courteous, the rooms are delightful, and the location is a wonderful street just next to everything you need for a perfect stay in Evanston. And Quince - that food is fantastic. I can't say enough about how nice it is to feel immediately welcomed into a stay away from home.

Room Tip: Just ask and they will accommodate your needs
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Leslie W
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We booked this hotel for the location as we were going to the U of M versus Northwestern football game. It was also the Chicago Marathon weekend so hotels were at a premium. The location was fabulous, but the hotel room left a lot to be desired. I truly do not think they have made one improvement since it was built. The carpets were thread barren and stained, the walls were dirty, The mattress was hard and the sheets smelled burnt. The bathroom had no counter space and while taking a shower you got a bath too due to poor drainage. It is difficult to keep old clean, therefore it was minimally clean, but it was not worth making an issue as we were there for one night. The best to show that they need to address the structure is the door did not fit in the frame, therefore there was space on the sides and bottom so light shown through the night from the hallway; hard to sleep when you have light streaming through. People refer to this place as homey; I guess that definition is relative. We had limited interaction with the staff, but they are friendly and for Chicago area, the price is reasonable, but location is just not enough to ever come back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lesliejordan
Homestead_Hotel, Director of Sales at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are glad to hear that you stayed with us during the Northwestern football game, and loved our location. However, we are disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your visit.
We want you to know that we’re listening, and are constantly working on implementing positive improvements; we sincerely appreciate your feedback.
Regarding our carpets, we maintain a very regular cleaning schedule of all carpets in the building. However, as with any busy hotel, replacing carpet is often the only solution when staining can not be remedied by cleaning alone. You will be happy to know that we’re in the process of doing just that.
Your concern about bedding is the first that we’ve heard of. All of our bedding is sent out of house for cleaning multiple times weekly, and any scent would be directly associated with the cleaning process that company uses. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We will inquire as to possible causes, and discuss preventative measures to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future.
We’re disappointed to hear of your maintenance issues. We wish we would have known while you were here, so that we could have immediately addressed the situation.
We do extend our sincerest apologies for any unpleasant attributes of your stay.
Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff and reasonable prices.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

I travel a lot for business, both in the U.S. and abroad, and have stayed in more than my share of short-term residences. So I can say without question that the Homestead Hotel is one of the best places I've ever stayed. My one-bedroom apartment was comfortable, homey and quiet. But what impressed me most about the Homestead is its staff. The staff went out of its way to be helpful and were extremely responsive to requests. Moreover, everyone from the cleaning staff to the front office managers were friendly and pleasant. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Znhurston
Homestead_Hotel, Director of Sales at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

What a wonderful review!
Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your positive experience at The Homestead; we certainly appreciate your feedback!
Thanks for mentioning our responsive team. We take great pride in our staff, and can’t thank you enough for your kind words.
We look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Hilton Orrington/Evanston
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to The Homestead? Share your experiences!