“Fun and Fast”

Joy Yee's Noodle Kitchen
Ranked #21 of 297 Restaurants in Evanston
Reviewed July 31, 2012

An above average noodle shop for this college town. Good entrees (primarily Korean, but the ever-popular 'pan-Asian', as well).Good service, and a great place for a casual quick meal. So far, the Korean short ribs and the cuttlefish are my favorites.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I visited Joy Yee's for lunch during a recent trip to Evanston. The restaurant is bustling, and there is loud, Asian rock music in the background. The decor is not dsitinctive; there are wonderful windows that gives the dining space an airy, light feel. The restuarant offers a variety of noodles dishes and other Asian specialties. The selection is impressive. I ordered a spring roll and a Lemongrass chicken. The spring roll came with a side of Sweet and Sour soup. The Lemongrass came with steamed rice. The portions were generous and extremely tasty. I especially like the spring roll. The cost were extremely reasonable. I will need to return to sample the other item. Definitely a find, and a must return!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I thought with a menu that big there is no way the food could be that good. I was wrong.
We had a group of 12 with no reservations. We were sat in 10 minutes. The drink menu is vast so the waiter was ready well before we were. They don't sell alcohol but I did notice you can byob. The teas and smoothies were all very tasty.
Everyone ordered something different; from beef and broccoli to eel over baked rice.Everyone really enjoyed their meal. I had the seafood chow mien. Talk about huge. My dinner not only fed me that night, but lunch the next day for me and my husband and enough noodles for my family to try.
If you are hungry and don't want to spend a ton of money this is the place for you.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have been to Joy Yee about four times as of this writing, and I have never been disappointed. The Pan-Asian food is excellent, the drinks are outstanding, and service is fast. I highly recommend the Sesame Chicken.

The menu is multipage, with text versions and illiustrated versions, so if you don't quite know what you want you can reference the illustrations (photos) to help you decide. For those who are sensitive to spicy foods, items that are hot and spicy are flagged with a red pepper, so you know in advance. Drinks are also illustrated.

Doggie bags are the norm in this place. There is usually so much food in one order that nobody could finish. There are appetizers too, but if you order one, plan on sharing it. In fact, I saw several sharing a single dinner order, which is perfectly acceptable there. Meals are served with a serving spoon, and plates are already on the table, so I think they expect this.

The drinks are unique, such as Mango Tapioca Freeze, and others like it. They are tasty, and tall. However, in many of the drinks are soy jelly balls (I think! I asked one time and got an answer, but I didn't quite understand what he said.). The drinks are served with large straws so these balls will fit. While these drinks are good, I suspect that these jelly balls fill you up quickly, so if you want to eat hardy, order a drink without them.

There are two issues I have with this restaurant. One, it is noisy. The place is always crowded, and having a conversation is almost impossible. The dining room is tight, and there is no carpeting or drapes. Sounds echo throughout, and this is a fact of life when dining there. The other issue is parking. Downtown Evanston has become very busy over the years, and street parking is at a premium. If you have a handicap placard you won't have too much trouble. If you don't, you may want to get there a bit early so you can search for a metered space.

If you can get past those issues, you won't be disappointed at Joy Yee.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Cheap,Quick,Delicious. The three things anyone wants when ordering in after a long day out.

These guys have won 4 customers.