“New Orleans meets the Midwest in Evanston”
Review of Dixie Kitchen & Bait Shop - CLOSED

Dixie Kitchen & Bait Shop
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a great breakfast here, ranging from the "Yankee Breakfast" and poached eggs to beignets and "Seafood Cakes and Eggs" (crab, shrimp and crayfish cakes), everything was delicious. The place is decorated with lots of fishing kitchen and signage - very cute. Service was great; our server kept my coffee mug filled! The prices are reasonable. I would like to come back for lunch or dinner to try the fried green tomatoes and fried plantains.

There are newer reviews for Dixie Kitchen & Bait Shop

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We went there for brunch and it was great. I had the Banana Bread French Toast. FANTASTIC! Melts in your mouth. I also ordered a side of cheese grits and those were good too. My husband's breakfast came with the potatoes. i loved them but they are spicy. Others at our table did not like them because of the spice. The service was good. Food came out very quick despite it being packed with a wait. I will definitely go back next time I am visiting Evanston.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I normally go for breakfast. Good comfort food for a reasonable price. There is usually a 10 to 20 minutes wait every time we go, but well worth it.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My breakfast was basic, eggs, sausage, toast, grits and very well prepared. The grits were among the best I've had - fluffy and flavorful. Service was quick, courteous, accompanied by smiles and good cheer. Coffee good and refilled often. Inexpensive.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

If you really like Cajun food, then you'll know that Dixie Kitchen dummies-down the seasonings for the average American palate. While my blackened catfish was tasty and tender, the beans and rice were bland, and the sweet potatoes were too sugary. The corn bread-shaped pancakes were quite witty, but the peach cobbler was too doughy and had way too much nutmeg.
One thing that was distressing was that, upon walking in, there was a scent of natural gas. I mentioned something to the manager, who seemed nonplussed. I left to go to a bookstore while waiting for my other friends to arrive, entered the restaurant again, and the scent was unmistakable. I recommended to the manager that he exit and come back in, but he wouldn't.
Keep working on it, Dixie Kitchen, because you have a great concept and location. Need to work on the customer focus, too.