“Great tapas”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I loved the garlic octopus and the household wine. This is a nice option in Evanston for an informal breakfast/dinner

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I always enjoy eating at Tapas Barcelona. The service is good, the food is tasty, and the wine's fine. Make sure to order the bacon wrapped dates, but skip most desserts (except the bananas in caramel).

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Never fails to delight. We always try to order new things each time, but keep coming back to old favorites. Favorites include mussels, Dali pizza, beef tenderloin, flan. The decor is warm and edgy at the same time. Service is always great.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Looking for a place for a "catch up" dinner with a friend. Interesting menu, excellent preparation, attentive service, good wine list, nice decor. It got more busy as the night went on but never so loud we couldn't talk. Several dishes were truly wonderful: bacon wrapped dates, scallops, beef skewers. The waiter was helpful and friendly without going overboard.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

They do some pretty darn lovely tapas in this joint!

Got seated right away (inside) on a Friday at 9 pm, though I think there was a wait for inside. It was sooooo cold in there! But we managed to shiver through it.

The bacon-wrapped dates, a tapas restaurant staple, were freaking amazeballs. I've had these at several establishments, but these were the best version I've tried. So sweet and salty at the same time, such a remarkably decadent texture - I could eat these all night. And the sauce underneath them was DIVINE and we used the whole bread basket to mop it up. The scallops with spinach and saffron sauce were lovely as well - scallops were perfectly cooked, I just wish there were more of them! Lovely with the silky spinach.

The rigatoni with sausage was a substitute for the albondigas, which they had run out of. It was tasty but average in terms of creativity - seemed like something you could get in any restaurant and I wouldn't bother with it here. The Salmon Ahumado is basically tapas' answer to a bagel! Smoked salmon on crostini with egg, capers, and horseradish! It was very tasty but I'd skip it because it just reminded me of a nice Jewish deli brunch dish. For all I know, maybe it's a super authentic Spanish tapa but I'd probably leave it out in the future.

Stick to the authentic-sounding, more traditional tapas here and I think you will have a fantastic meal. Everything was wonderful, but the dates and scallops were the real standouts. The other dishes I can't flaw for flavor, but they weren't inspired or special enough to stand out. But in terms of sheer taste, you won't be disappointed by anything!