“Nice, but bring a flashlight...”

Pete Miller's Seafood & Prime Steak
Reserve with OpenTable
Pete Miller's Seafood & Prime Steak is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 297 Restaurants in Evanston
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Grove & Davis
Transit: CTA Purple Line Train - Davis Street Stop
Description: Located in downtown Evanston, the original Pete Miller's was founded in 1994 as a tribute to the late Harold "Pete" Miller. The restaurant celebrates his favorite things; swingin' jazz, a good honest drink & a great steak. Join us for dinner or a friendly game of billiards & experience what Pete's has to offer.
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Had a Holiday with my wife and two girlfriends (hers, not mine). We had 6:30 PM reservations, but arrived at 7:00 PM. We were promptly seated is a rather private area in the rear. While it was nice to have a private spot to chat, it was really dark. I needed a flashlight to see my menu! After we ordered the dim light provided a nice ambiance. As noted in previous reviews, Pete Miller's is paneled in wood and has a very relaxed feel. No doubt the lighting helped that. Well, so did the cocktails. The cocktails are very generous and strong. No second martini for me ( my wife's request). The menu is not huge, but offers adequate choices. Our meal were very good, and of ample proportions. The service was professional and courteous. Once we ordered our meal, it arrived quickly. All of the steaks were done as requested. I ordered the Bison Steak, medium. The server suggested I order it medium rare, a good suggestion. We did not feel rushed throughout the dinner and had a very pleasant outing.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Dark, lots of wood grain, rich / warm aromas, comfort oozing from food, etc. This is the penultimate classic steak spot with all the requisite cuts. Throw in helpful, attentive staff and a larger-than-average menu that expands into burgers and fish specialties, Pete Miller's is a great choice for a masculine dinner. The wine list is a bit thin but very tasty - especially the by the glass Malbec. This won't be your best meal of the month but it will be far, far from your worst!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

When we offered to buy our grandson a steak to fortify him for a two performance night in a Northwestern U student play, he did us the favor of choosing Pete Miller's. It has the look and ambiance of a classic big city steakhouse, but without the pretensions and surly waiters that some consider essential. The roast beef and bison (!) steak drew our raves and there were ample seafood choices and an impressive wine list. Great food, attentive but not hovering service, and a feeling of fun in the air--the only negative was our chagrin to have missed it on visits during his first three years of college.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

At 6:00 p.m. on Sunday evening my husband and I asked for a booth for dinner. The restaurant was only 10% occupied and there was a booth all set up available. We were told by the young hostesses that they could not seat us for ten minutes or so. We asked why and were told that the waiter had just started waiting on another customer. We said that we would be happy to wait siting down, but were still refused. We then asked to speak to the manager. He was currently sitting with people eating. When he arrived he told us that he was the manager and he had a new policy that no one could be seated until the waiter was available. We, again, explained that we would be happy to wait, but would like to sit and have a conversation, rather than sit in the vestibule. He said "No, my new policy is to give good service to our customers." We responded that we were customers who frequent the restaurant and expected service as well. His answer was "No" and we left and went elsewhere. There are many fine restaurants in Evanston. We are not about to drop $100+ and not have a reasonable experience with a restaurant manager.

1  Thank Ann B
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Really nice wait staff but the food isn't anything special. I think it is overpriced for the quality of the food. I agree with another reviewer that the spinach dish which is suppose to be a steak restaurant favorite was inedible.

1  Thank Avidtraveler919