“20 years”

Kuni's Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #53 of 284 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Kuni has been holding court in this location for about 20 years. Just sit at the bar and watch Kuni serve you the best traditional sushi.

There are newer reviews for Kuni's Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed October 11, 2013

On my annual trek to the Chicago area I again visited Kuni's. He has been open for almost 27 years and I have been going for 27 hears. Why? Because the quality of the fish is excellent, the presentation is better than most sushi restaurants I have been to and it is a family run restaurant.

Kuni, the owner, will be either directly preparing your sushi/sashimi or in tandem with his long time assistant. Sit at the sushi bar and you will meet both of them. And likely Kuni's wife, Christine.

I always get the Hamachi. What you should also try is the Hamachi Jaw (also called collar or Kama). One of the best pieces of cooked fish you may ever have. It is not always available, so ask early. It can also be shared.

I enjoy Kuni's miso soup (it is light and flavorful) and his seaweed salad has a briny vinegary taste that is well balanced.. The Nabe Yaki Udon (soup) is great on cold nights. Kuni also has some excellent sakes best served at room temperature. Get it served in a box to experience the sake.

Service is sometimes slow, but patience is worth the wait.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Why isn't this place packed to the gills with people waiting, for dinner on an early Saturday night?

That was the question I asked myself as my wife and I enjoyed a fantastic meal here at the sushi bar ahead of a movie last Saturday. Sure, this isn't one of the flashy, trendy, hip hop Americanized places to get sushi that are so trendy these days. It is a quiet traditional place for authentic sushi. The sushi is classic sushi, again, not all the experimental or Americanized stuff you might get at some of the hip hop sushi places, it is just properly prepared, very fresh, and very authentic sushi. And it is perfect.

We enjoyed four different rolls, Spider, Spicy Tekka (tuna), Spicy Albacore and French. The Spider roll was simply incredible. Of course we had some sushi too, and of note, I had never had Anago (Sea water eel), it was exceptional and is now a new favorite of mine.

The most interesting sushi was suggested by the head sushi chef (Itamae?) toward the end of our meal. He told me that they had Aji (horse mackerel) that was flown in fresh from Japan twice a week, and that I might enjoy it. Indeed I did. I wish he had shared this with me earlier in the meal, I would have had two pieces of it, not just one.

The sushi chefs were cordial and helpful, our waitress was unobtrusive and polite, though not particularly warm or engaging. And the head sushi chef was obviously thrilled we were having a most enjoyable meal, and ended it for us with a complimentary dish of green tea noodle sushi to share. It was a nice touch to end a wonderful meal.

This place deserves to be packed, and if you live in Evanston and enjoy a traditional sushi place with authentic and amazing sushi, then patronize this place before it is gone and we all lament that it is no longer here for us to patronize.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Three of us went to Kuni's for a quick dinner. My husband and I ordered teriyaki chicken, and my son ordered chicken with vegetables. We all received a nice portion of miso soup which was quite good. We also got a tossed green salad that probably came from a bag. However, it was plentiful, and the dressing was excellent. The chicken teriyaki was okay, the chicken was moist and flavorful, but the sauce was too overpowering. I tasted my son's dish and much preferred it. The vegetables were not overlooked, and the grilled chicken was very good. Our waitress was efficient and kept an eye on us without being overbearing. She seemed to know when we needed her. All in all, we had a pleasant experience, and I would go back.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

went to dinner at Kuni Friday evening two weekends ago. I had the chef's sashimi platter which was just great.