“Still the best Sushi in Evanston, and perhaps Chicago”

Kuni's Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #51 of 290 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Kuni's has been in business over 25 years, which in itself is a great sign. One of the earliest sushi restaurants in Evanston, it has also been one of the best.

We moved from Evanston several years ago, but whenever I get back I go to Kuni's as the quality of the sushi is very high. I have never had better Hamachi (Yellowtail) than at Kuni's, even at very high end / famous chef restaurants in Aspen and Vail. Also, you can usually get Hamachi Kama (Yellowtail jaw or collar) at Kuni's. If you have never had this you need to try it.It is cooked and perhaps the best part of the yellowtail. Many sushi restaurants don't even advertise it as they save it for special guests or owners.

I was lucky enough to get some very fresh oysters from the Northwest. It was a shipment Kuni got that day, so I had them in a vinegar sauce (Kaki-Su), with some scallions and grated radish. Outstanding. Unfortunately those oysters are not available every day. I always ask Kuni what he recommends and what is new.

I highly recommend the Negi Hamachi appetizer. It is excellent. I also recommend you request the vinegar sauce to dip the daikon, carrot and wakame in. It really transforms them

Service is very attentive. Kuni and his wife, Christine, work very hard to make sure every customer
is served, but I also know when they are busy, service can be slow.

Also try the anago (sea eel), as Kuni prepares and cooks it himself. I tried it for the first time... I usually get the unagi (fresh water eel)...and enjoyed the anago.

When in doubt, just ask. Kuni's is a very friendly place..

Also they have some VG sakes available. Tell them what level of dryness/sweetness you like and they will guide you.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The fish is always fresh with excellent service. By far the best Sushi on the North Shore. We keep on going back and regret when we try some where new.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have done a lot of business over the years in Japan, and Kuni's is by far the best Chicago-area Japanese restaurant for recreating the authentic experience. It's quiet, peaceful, furnished in light wood colors, and the sushi is sublime. No lox-and-cream-cheese or peanut-butter-and-jelly rolls here. Just a wide variety of fresh fish and other traditional ingredients. Many other traditional Japanese dishes as well. I am a particular fan of their tempura and their bento box.

One of my Japanese-born colleagues, a senior trading company executive assigned to Chicago, once said Kuni's was the 2nd best sushi in Chicago, after only the Nikko Hotel... and of course, the Nikko Hotel is now long gone from Chicago.

For the real experience, sit at the sushi bar and chit-chat with Kuni-san. For an equally satisfactory but less interactive experience, take a table. My only complaint is that Kuni's no longer serves Kirin beer, one of my personal faves. Asahi is fine, but it's not Kirin. On the other hand, the warm house sake is excellent. When my wife and I need to be de-stressed, dinner at Kuni's is a great way to do it.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Sushi nowadays is usually (NOT ALWAYS) prepared by non-Japanese chefs who really don't know the intricacies of preparing truly authentic sushi. Kuni-san started many years ago and is Japanese trained and knows all there is to know. (Although he is too modest to admit)He often will defer a choice of mine if he feels the current offering isn't fresh enough, or up to par. Great time.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Perfect ratio price-quality .
Very good service
Fantastic suchy and sashimy ,
The chef , a real japanese takes goog care of his customers and often send a little dish as a token of thanks for being here ,