“Fresh is the word.”

Kuni's Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 290 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I lived in Evanston since before Kuni's was opened (he is celebrating 25 years on 12/27) .And I started dining here soon after he opened.

I moved away 2 years ago and had the opportunity to visit Kuni's in August/2011. What I have always valued at Kuni's is the freshness of the fish and the skill of preparation.

I love watching Kuni prep and slice the fish. He has many years of experience and it shows. Kuni is very open to suggesting sushi, just ask, and if you want a custom order, he does it.

If someone does not prefer raw fish he offers some very good cooked selections. The Hamachi jaw (basically the collar of the yellowtail is wonderful. This is a portion we rarely see as it is limited and it is so flavorful, it often doesn't make it past the fishermen or the fishmongers. Great flavor. Highly recommended, limited availability. Try the teriyaki version, then try the salt version.

The fried soft shell crab is very good. Try the cha soba, the sauce is excellent. The grilled mackerel is also excellent.

Service is generally good, but sometimes slow. The only negative I can say about Kuni's. Somewhat understandable as everything is prepared to order. And he has a significant carry-out business. So go early.

Very nice selection of sakes. My preference is room temperature in a box, as the "call" sakes are wonderful. They change so won't recommend any particular one. I also lean towards the dry versions. I think they work best with sushi. Just ask Kuni for a recommendation.

I have always had a very good experience at Kuni's . Kuni and his wife Christine are wonderful hosts. Nacho has been Kuni's #2 for many years. and I have seen many repeat customers over the 23 years enjoy his sushi.

If you try Kuni's and don't like it please let me know.

Enjoy
Lorenzo

Reviewed March 12, 2010

A block northeast of the Main Street CTA station you will find this wonderful sushi restaurant. I came here early on a Friday evening (approx. 5:45 p.m.) and basically had the place to myself. By the time I was done it had filled halfway up.

I had some of their miso soup and it was really good - not like think dishwater as you might get at some sushi places in the midwest, but truly steeped in the rich and salty tradition of how miso soup should be. I ordered five pair of nigiri sushi - salmon, hamachi, unagi, maguro, and ikura with quail egg. They were all quite good, esp. the salmon and the ikura. Also had an inside-out California roll with tobikko. That was good but could have been better - the tobikko didn't have a snap to them.

They brought me a complimentary bowl of green tea noodle soup. I couldn't detect the green tea but it was really tasty nevertheless.

All this and a large bottle of Sapporo for less than $55.

After having eaten here I can see why it is highly rated. I would come here again.

Reviewed August 16, 2009

Sushi and Sashimi were delicious. Best food in Evanston. Large portions, friendly service, and nice presentation.

Reviewed July 30, 2009

I am a Japanese and I have been to so many Sushi restaurant in Chicago land. Some traditional, some new concept, of all the places I have been to, this one is the best I know. I think this one would be in my top ten list even including the Sushi restaurant in Japan that I know.

I am so happy to find this place and happy to get to know Kunii-san. The counter is no always a comfortable spot to sit in the Sushi restaurant, but I have no hesitation sitting right in front of Kunii-san. Chat with him and eat his recommendation, it is my happiest moment.

I do not ask all people to understand the true taste of Sushi, because some people will never understand, but I tell you that if you want to taste a real Japanese Sushi, this is the place to visit.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 22, 2008

The service isn't all that attentive. Food is average. Not a very pleasant ambiance - bright, crowded, and rushed. I've had worse, but this isn't anything to write home about either.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook