“Very good Ethiopian meal”
Review of Addis Abeba - CLOSED

Addis Abeba
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2012

First time here, and we had a very good meal. Not our most favorite Ethiopian food, but very good. Great service and we will definitely come back.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I hadn't had Ethiopian food in a while so we decided to give Addis Abeba a try after hearing good things about it from friends. The place is small and simple, but with lots of nice touches such as Ethiopian paintings, tapestries, and statues, as well as what I assume was Ethiopian music playing quietly in the background. Our hostess and server weren't the most outgoing people, but were attentive and friendly. The food was wonderful. We tried 8 different things, a mixture of meat and vegetarian dishes. All were very flavorful and the spicy ones had some heat without being too spicy. The prices were a few dollars above what I'd expect considering the food is fairly simple and well portioned (no extra to take home but plenty to fill you up). The combo plates (choice of 4 items) are about $13 - $16 per person. But considering Ethiopian restaurants aren't exactly plentiful in the suburbs, I was willing to pay a little extra.

1  Thank tweeter_23
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I like to go here for dinner when we crave some healthy, wholesome food. We always get a wide selection of slightly spicy and mild vegetarian dishes over bread. Once we asked for the vegetarian selection and were given meat instead, so speak clearly! I also made the mistake of bringing my English father here, and he would not stand for eating with his hands and demanded silverware. We think it's fun and sensual eating with our hands!

Reviewed November 3, 2011

I am surprised others are surprised that this food is eaten with your fingers Take your 2 year old--he or she will be very happy. The food is good but the prices are high and portions appetizer sized. It was a good value with a Groupon, but without, it felt like a rip-off. Service is slow but friendly. I would go here again as it is the only Ethiopian that is close to my house, but other cities have much better options. Street parking can be a hassle but if you know Evanston, you'll find a spot on a side street.

1  Thank martie765
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I have had Ethiopian food all over the world except for in Ethiopia. The food here was OK. really nothing special. portions were also on the small-ish side and the prices on the high-ish side (for Ethiopian). Beer selection was limited and a bit pricey. The biggest drawback was the shape of the tables. Since everything is served family style on a single platter (two platters for our group of 7), the rectangular tables make for some very awkward and impolite reaching. We kept moving the platters but it was a pain in the tookus. Most Ethiopian restaurants use round tables which greatly facilitate food sharing among groups larger than 4. Sometimes you get to sit on floor pillows. If you've ever eaten the Ethiopian fare in Adams-Morgan (DC), Boston, or NYC, you will be very disappointed by this.

1  Thank meatslinger