“A decent choice for exploring Chicago”
Review of Super 8 Chicago IL

Super 8 Chicago IL
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We were looking for a place to stay that had parking and was near bus and rail so we could explore Chicago. I was very happy with this choice for what we wanted to do. It is near the 151 and 147 bus lines. We took the 147 because it had several stops and then went express along the lake, and then went back to Michigan Ave. The train (red line) was 2 blocks north and 2 blocks west to get on/off. The tickets you buy to ride the train just ask at the "desk" and they will provide you with a map and directions to the place to buy the visitor explorer bus/rail passes.

Parking, there was plenty, both under the hotel and outside the hotel. They say that they do not guarantee a parking spot but there is a lot of parking.

Room was dated but the beds were really good. I thought the rooms very soundproof and solid. We did not hear outside noise except for the very loud emergency vehicles. We did not hear talking or banging of doors as we have hear other hotels. The matresses were very soft and comfortable.

Cost was decent value. Breakfast nothing special. I would stay here again since we choose our hotels on value

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank debkr67

Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was nervous staying here after reading some of the reviews. We needed an inexpensive hotel for one night for the Loyola Weekend. I was pleasantly surprised. It isn't a 5 star hotel, but the room was super clean. A plus was the microwave, fridge and coffee maker. We had a 2nd floor room facing the street. No beach/water view at this hotel. Buildings across the street in the way. It was a non-smoking floor. We didn't notice any strange oders. I will say that after parking in the garage two times, I chose to park out front the remainder of the time we were here. The parking was way too tight for my crossover vechile. Having a complimentary light breakfast was also a huge plus with the kids. They went down several times for bagels, cereal, danishes, etc..... and brought it back to the room.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TerTod
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Our room was okay but dated. The walls were SO thin that we could hear everything in the nearby rooms and hallway---there must have been some kind of reunion because there were a lot of people next door. I went down to ask if they could quiet them down if the noise persisted after 9 p.m. since we were really tired from our trip, and the young gentleman was very helpful. I liked the location and loved the parking on site. But... my daughter found a bed bug crawling among the sheets in the morning. We actually captured it in a cup and took it down to the front desk. The gentleman at the front desk didn't seem too concerned. I contacted Super 8's corporate and, once again, nothing. No apology from anyone. We had to find plastic bags in order to wrap our suitcases as we didn't want bedbugs in the car. And you certainly don't want to bring them in your home so we had to leave all our belongings outside. Then we gradually had to wash everything and stick it in the dryer for lengthy period (heat will kill them); we put bulky items in the freezer for 4 days. I thought it very poor customer service with the lack of any response from anyone, and I must admit I was irritated with the amount of extra work I had to go through as a precaution to keep them out of my house. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen M
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed here in October 2011 and still feel compelled to write a review. I moved to Chicago for a job and stayed at this hotel until I found an apartment. The room itself was cleaner and more comfortable than I expected, but the service really put it over the top. The employees were incredibly helpful with everything... restaurant recommendations, directions, etc. I was told that the cars in the parking lot were watched all night on camera. I felt very safe and cared for. Makes me think I expect too little of other Super 8's I've been to!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Right down the street from Loyola, this is a great place if you are visiting the campus. We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds on the second floor facing N. Sheridan and had no problem with sound or light getting thru the curtain. Small fridge and microwave are nice, and the breakfast is good enough with juice, coffee, oatmeal and pastries. Nothing fancy but it kept the kids happy. The room was clean and the temperature was good. Only small complaint that the hot water was not really hot, no matter what time of day, and the mirror in the bathroom was a little too high for the shorter members of the family.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrmervis
Reviewed January 7, 2012

My husband and I visited Chicago during May 2011 and our stay in the Super 8 was great. The staff was very helpful and the parking was free, which is saying something considering Chicago. I recommend this Super 8 for a stay on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is not a luxury property, but we were impressed that it was clean and looked to have an franchisee that cared about providing a decent, basic stay. Parking is tight - but is also free and even though we have a minivan we were able to get a space each night.
Our room was spacious and clean: great king size bed (pillows aren't great!), good iron and ironing board and decent TV and free WiFi. We were in 304 - only a view of back roof and apartments; opposite rooms probably look toward the lake - which is only a block away.
Being located on Sheridan, there are lots of restaurants, Starbucks, etc., heading south toward town, and the access to both Evanston (north) and Lake Shore Drive (to go to the city) is great! If you need a place near the universities or Rogers Park, and don't require high-rise luxury, try it out.

Room Tip: Try to face the lake.