“Very adequate at reasonable price-good location!”
Review of Super 8 Chicago IL

Super 8 Chicago IL
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Evanston
“Very adequate at reasonable price-good location!”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Was pleasantly surprised with the motel's room and location. We stayed one night (September 24, 2011) and upon arrival I was skeptical. Very tight parking, although it is covered. Front "lobby" is nothing more that glassed in entrance and very small elevator (don't expect to fit more than 3 people with luggage). BUT the room was clean and spacious. We stayed in 302-a corner unit facing the back of building which does not have a very pleasant view. Quiet and the beds were comfortable. Awesome location to lake as well as red line (about at 10 minute walk). Felt very safe walking back to motel at 2:30 a.m. in the residential, quiet neighborhood. Stopped in "breakfast room" for coffee on way out (they offer complimentary cold cereals, juices and coffee) and the manager (I assume) asked if he could make more coffee. We paid $119 for one night for a room with two double beds, fridge, microwave and coffee maker. There is also an iron and board in the room. The bathroom is quite small and very dated but not terrible and was fairly clean. Upon check in the front desk man was very helpful with giving directions to r line and also for dinner. Overall a very good stay-don't let the appearance of the outside and lobby scare you!

Room Tip: if you want a view of the lake request a room on floor 3 or 4 facing street
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank butterfly0871

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oregon, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 25, 2011

So don't expect much and you will be ok here. The hotel is functions, lets say that. Beds ok, rooms basic and dated, but I use this hotel for it's location. It's 1 block from Leone Park, has free offstreet parking and in my two stays here in 2 years, I've not had any issues.

Breakfast is included, and it's a small basic breakfast. There are several places to eat very near. The parks and beaches are great and easy walking distance. This is not a downtown hotel so you can't walk to central Chicago.

I stay here each year to do a kayak race each year and I'm happy to stay here, it fits a budget. Always slept well so the beds must be ok. I would say that if you are on a budget, you could do a lot worse than this place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank pxtaylor
West Lafayette
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We wanted a cheap room ($100 incl tax) that was convenient to Wrigley and this filled the bill. There was limited free parking. The L stop is a few blocks away from each and the neighborhood is near Loyola and convenient to restaurants and shops. The desk attendant was friendly and helpful. The room was small, but clean and well-maintained and the A/C worked well and quietly on a hot day. The bed was firm and comfortable. Breakfast is basic and with only two tables, we ate in our room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mack3065
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Not a bad price, and it is clean. Somewhat chintzy on the common areas space--no lobby, 6-chair breakfast room, a 2-people-with-luggage elevator. But the rooms are spacious, and boast a refrigerator AND a microwave; so if you take your ice bucket tray down to the breakfast room (oh yes, the FREE breakfast!) you can heat things up in your room. Lovely neighborhood. A good bargain. I did wish they provided conditioner and lotion as well as the shampoo.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank iroquois02
Bloomingdale, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed in this motel for three nights in room 407. When we arrived the front desk person was extremely helpful with public transportation info, etc. The motel is conveniently located on an express bus line to downtown Chicago and a block from the Redline train and has free-parking - great for a visit to Chicago. We thoroughly enjoyed the vibrant city of Chicago until the bedbug bites manifested themselves on the third night - we were away from the room except to sleep everyday and generally until late in the evening. Early in the morning of our checkout I went to speak to the current desk person and showed him my arms and pictures of my leg . He seemed generally unconcerned, merely saying he would speak to the manager and that he had never seen anything like this before. After showering and attempting to figure out a way to not leave with bedbugs in our luggage, on our clothing , etc. I went to checkout and he said nothing. This could be a nice place for someone wanting a reasonable place to stay while visiting Chicago, but with BEDBUGS you have to stay away.

Room Tip: If you want to stay here anyway, make sure you check for bedbugs, although I find it hard to believe...
Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I had 4 days in Chicago in which to find and lease an apartment. We stayed at this Super 8 in Rogers Park, since we were hoping to find an apartment in Rogers Park. The staff at this hotel was very good, rooms were clean, the wifi worked very well, the front desk staff were very nice to us, even suggested places to look for an apartment. Overall we were exceptionally pleased with our stay here. The rooms themselves are not luxury by any means, but they are totally my speed. Clean and comfortable is all I ask for. The staff being so nice was just an added bonus!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank John7720
Goshen, IN
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Finding a hotel in Chicago for $130 was a challenge. This hotel was listed for $130 through the Super 8 website, however, when I tried to make reservations for a Saturday in November, the website said there were no rooms available. Because there was a home Northwestern FB game, I was not surprised. But when I went through www.priceline.com to reserve a room, this hotel came up and I was able to secure two rooms. Strange, huh? I even called the hotel to confirm that the reservation was legit, and sure enough, I was told that I did have the two rooms reserved that I had requested.

Upon arrival, we needed a roll-away. The guy at the desk said they didn't have any available. So I asked for extra blankets and pillows, and he ended up saying "well, there is a roll-away but one wheel is broke." When he went to get it, I didn't see any broken wheel and it worked just fine. Not sure why it was an issue in the first place--maybe he didn't feel like going to get it? I did roll it up to the room myself.

The room was large and clean. The bathroom was tiny and cramped, although very clean. Our only room complaint was the smoke smell. Going through priceline did not allow me to request non-smoking. When we arrived after 9 p.m., we were told that there were only smoking rooms left. We opened the window for awhile to attempt to freshen the air without much success.

In most cities, a Super 8 of the quality that we experienced here would be about half the cost of what we spent. I realize that everything is expensive in Chicago. Next time we will likely drive out a little further to have nicer accommodations!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LuvsT0Travel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Rogers Park
Hampton Inn Chicago North - Loyola Station
The Homestead
#5 of 8 in Evanston

Been to Super 8 Chicago IL? Share your experiences!