“HGI in Evanston very good”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Evanston
Denver, Colorado
“HGI in Evanston very good”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Helpful staff, nice, clean room. I loved my stay there and will stay again. Parking is expensive. They charge for breakfast. The breakfast, however, is great. Full omelette bar, etc. The wine at the bar is expensive and not high quality. However, there is a World Market across the street that carries wine. The staff was friendly and helpful. The gym has free weights... rare in my hotel travels. A little pricey, but a very nice place.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Hebrew first
Portland, United States
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel on multiple occasions in the past year to visit my daughter who attends Northwestern. The location and staff are great! I'm sure there will be more stays here in the next few years.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

New York, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is my favourite hotel to stay in Evanston (and probably in the US) and would recommend it to anyone staying in the area. The hotel is very clean, and it has great service and great amenities. Also very central Evanston location near restaurants, a movie theater and transportation.

Philadelphia, United States
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The staff was so friendly and attentive. They asked what brought me to town when I checked in, and I mentioned that I had an interview. The next morning they wished me good luck on my interview. It was so nice to have that extra support. That personal touch made my visit more than good, it made it great. On top of that, the hotel was nice, the rooms were very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable! It was a tad on the expensive side, particularly considering there wasn't even a complimentary continental breakfast, but in all it was a good value!

ynotbloom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed a week here for a Northwest University professional class along with a colleague. The first thing we got when we walked through the door Sunday night at about 9:45 was a big smile and "Welcome Gentlemen" from the front desk. That was just the start.

Staff from management to housekeeping were professional, yet when engaged in conversation they were exceptionally friendly. Very efficient, yet personable. Helpful beyond belief, and more than patient with several (in my opinion) very spoiled or unduly demanding customers we watched.

The only thing more relaxing, clean and inviting than their public spaces was the room! IMMACULATE. My family has allergies and so I inspect every room closely: bath, behind furniture, the heat/ac filters. You could have eaten of the bathroom surfaces, behind stuff was TOTALLY dust free, The filters looked like they were just installed from the manufacturer! That is better than even 4-stars I have stayed at.

Beds are variable air beds that do not feel like air beds. Good sleep, despite being away from home and missing my personal mattress - and doing big time stress over our classes every night. I use a CPAP and had no problems. When I asked them to stow it for me on Friday until my class ended at 2pm, it was delivered to my van out front with a big "FRAGILE - HANDLE WITH GREAT CARE" note on it (as my fellow C-People will tell you - that is gold for service!)!

Food here is great and well priced. Breakfast is a superb deal. A wide variety of basic cold stuff, with a staffed hot option bar. Made to order omelettes, waffles, pancakes; sausage patties and bacon with fresh baked muffins; potato options that rotate each day (tots, hash browns, patties). And of course your OJ, Milk, Water, Coffee (did not ask for any juice other than orange, so unk if they have any other).

Cookies and bars often available in the late afternoon/evening in the front lobby.

Speaking of 4-Star.....why not? If this is only a 3-star location, then they are setting the bar and setting it high. This place is a 3.5 at least if not striking into a 4 star place. Okay - fine: a 3-star with a 4-star service and comfort level!

Small but efficient excersize room. Earphones for the tv's are available at the desk if you forget yours. My colleague loved the spa and pool.

Conveniently located directly across the street from the NU-Center for Public Safety building, and within walking distance of more restaurants and shops than we could even consider visiting. The Evanston Loop CTA Bus runs right here, and both Metra and CTA trains are just minutes away on foot. Bar fly? Several options close by. Not so (like us)? MULTIPLE night out options. Very safe neighborhood. Took several late night walks with no trouble or concerns.

The only nick I can send this place is the elevators. Apparently are some of Otis' original type hydraulics equipment. Nice and smooth delivery to your destination, but if in a hurry - you can feel like you are loosing a birthday in those booths!

My company sent me here, but I am sure I and my family will be back for the fun of it!

Room Tip: Rooms facing north have a bit less noise from the nearby passing CTA / METRA trains (which in themse...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ynotbloom
Tarzana, United States
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Friendly staff, great location in Evanston. Ease of parking. Good security. Breakfast offerings are wide variety and good quality. The rooms are a little small as are the beds. Instead of two doubles in a room, two queen beds would be much more preferable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stay at this HGI whenever I am in Evanston for Rotary business. While I don't have a choice about my lodging, I am always glad that this is the place. I love having a microwave and fridge in my room; I adore free Internet. Then give me a comfortable bed and I am a happy camper.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Hilton Orrington/Evanston
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Homestead
The Homestead
#6 of 8 in Evanston
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston? Share your experiences!