“Clean, Decent Local but...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Evanston
New York, NY
“Clean, Decent Local but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Nice hotel, decent lobby, room was clean and the bed was so-so. They have adjustable beds (you turn a knob and it is supposed to adjust firmness) and it took me a bit to figure it out. The reason I'm down-rating somewhat is that my wakeup call from the automated system came an hour early. When I inquired at the front desk, it was clear that they knew that the system had been malfunctioning, perhaps for a while. When I expressed that sleep was the principle reason I pay for hotels (!!) the answer was "Sorry", not "How can we make it up to you". I don't care much about the dollars, but an offer of breakfast or even a cup of coffee would have been too easy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We've stayed at several hotels the past 6 months. While they were, for the most part clean, the Hilton Garden Inn was exceptional. The room was fresh smelling and clean upon our arrival. The bathroom was sparkling and fresh. When we left during the day, we came back to a freshly cleaned and made up room which was very nice. We will definitely stay here again if we return to Evanston.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Twin Cities, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My mother and I stayed here while visiting Northwestern University. It's about a 10-15 minute walk away from the admissions office, though we opted to pay just a few bucks to park in the garage right next to the office. The hotel is beautiful, and all of the workers are very friendly. The woman at the desk gladly showed us how to get to the University, and where all of the good food options are. We ended up ordering room service, and I'm very glad we did. The host kindly substituted a half sized caprese salad for the garden salad that came with my pasta. The food came in less time that we expected and was absolutely delicious and elegantly served. Price wise it's very reasonable and no more than a regular restaurant. The service makes it well worth it. We paid for the buffet in the morning, which was a little pricy but convenient and delicious. I didn't get anything made-to-order, but the fruit and bacon I ate was perfect. Parking is not free and is a little inconvenient since you need to walk outside the hotel to get to the garage, but that's to be expected in an area right next to Chicago. Overall we loved our stay here and would definitely return should we be in the area again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lakeville, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at the Garden Inn while visiting Northwestern University. The property is great for walking to campus and/or downtown Evanston. Rooms were clean, staff friendly and we enjoyed our stay. There is a fee for parking which I missed when making the reservation.

Room Tip: West side rooms face the Metra train and the other side is on Maple Ave. I guess you need to decide...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Denver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I checked out of this Hilton Garden Inn today after an overnight stay. Glad it was for only one night. This hotel is on a fairly busy street, and even rooms on the back side (away from the street), face metro train tracks. Perhaps 100 yards away, I thought they were far enough not to be a bother, and the front desk clerk who checked me in said the trains come by only "rarely". Well, if every 10 or 15 minutes is rare in your book, then don't worry about it. The roaring noise was heard that often, throughout the night, so it also means the windows provide poor sound insulation at this hotel. Bring your earplugs. I did, and it saved me somewhat.

The parking situation is a nuisance too. Guests need to use a public parking garage a half-block away, and it's not free. Bring your ticket to the front desk, and the daily charge will appear on your bill, while the ticket is programmed to let you out of the garage without paying there. I would rather have free on-site parking, but apparently Evanston didn't provide enough space for this hotel's developer to include one.

On the plus side, Evanston seems like an upscale urban setting near Northwestern University, and was pleasant as a neighborhood, and this hotel has clean rooms and comfortable beds, with speedy free Wifi. I do wish Hilton Garden Inn would start providing free breakfast in all room rates, though. It was an extra cost for me.

In sum, if you need to be in the Evanston area, the facility itself is nice, but beware of noise issues and ask for a top floor room. If you don't have a car with you, the parking matter is irrelevant, but if you do, be sure to drop off your bags with the lobby bellman before parking. Otherwise you need to take your bags a half city block from your garage parking space, along with your ticket. Yuck!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
James D, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were not completely satisfied with our some aspects of our hotel. I am so sorry that your wake-up call was an hour early. Please know that this is very rare to occur; however, I can very much empathize with your frustration and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Be assured that the feedback you provided in your review will be taken into consideration so that we may improve our guests’ in-property experience..
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

After looking at a fair number of venues for her wedding my daughter chose the HGI/Evanston because of it's convenient location and smaller size. I have to say that I was very impressed with the finished product after months of planning. Maureen the event coordinator was very easy to work with and a good communicator. The food was fantastic--we got so many compliments on how good the food was. The included cake (from Oak Mill Bakery) was also delicious. The room was the perfect size for a smaller wedding (under 100.) The entire feel was that of a higher end boutique hotel. I would only suggest 2 things to someone looking into having a wedding held here. Ask for the leftover cake to be available on a table for second servings and if you're having a day-after breakfast, be sure that there are enough tables/places for the guests (along with coffee carafes) ahead of time. Those were 2 things that could have been done better but in the big scheme of wedding planning were not the end of the world. I would highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Great hotel staff and location; within walking distance of Northshore beach, good value for the money. Front desk staff very helpful with parking details. Breakfast choices very good. Did not have lunch or dinner there. Rooms clean, spacious with bathrooms well appointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
The Homestead
The Homestead
#5 of 8 in Evanston
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston? Share your experiences!