Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend for the 4th of July. The hotel is in downtown Evanston and within a short walking distance to tons of restaurants, shopping, Northwestern University, and just a few blocks from the lake. Close to a train station if you want to ride into Chicago. The farmers market is literally right outside the hotel doors on the weekends. Our room was immaculate, the beds were comfortable (although the double beds seemed very small), and the staff was nice. Although it was a holiday weekend and there was a lot going on in Evanston that weekend, our room was very quite (very little sound from outside or the hallway and a quite A/C) and we slept very well. The shower was warm and had good water pressure. We've eaten a lot of hotel breakfast buffets but this was one of the best we have had. Everything seemed fresh and it was as good start to our day (omelettes made to order, french toast, bacon, sausage, warm scones, sliced melon, oatmeal, etc.) My kids enjoyed swimming in the small pool and loved the cookies they got when we checked in. Really no complaints at all, it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here as a family over from June 30-July5. My husband is a Hhonors diamond member and we were treated accordingly, though it seemed that the front desk staff could vary between accommodating and surly. We only ate there for breakfast and it was a great way to start the day. The service was friendly and efficient and the selection was great and freshly prepared. The fitness center was effective though the equipment was a bit wobbly. We did not use the indoor pool or spa. The parking was $13 per night but the front desk validated the ticket for in and out privileges.
My only warning would be for a family of four trying to sleep in two double beds. While the select a comfort beds make for a comfortable rest, the size seems to be smaller than normal double beds and are in fact barely bigger than a twin size. The front desk lady told us the hotel was not allowed to provide us with a roll-away but did not give an adequate reason.
We would probably stay here again as the location was great, close to Northwestern U. and in the middle of many shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel was fine. Great location if you want to be near Northwestern University. My biggest complaint is that strong smelling cleaning products used were used and it took a long while for the smell to dissipate. The smell still lingered the whole of our 3 day stay. Since I am sensitive to strong smells this bothered me a bit. Bed was fine and room was fairly clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
James D, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I appreciate your candor on your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand that during your stay, the freshness of your room was of concern to you and that there was an unpleasant odor. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you. Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please feel free to contact me. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

James D

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn off and on for a decade. It is a well managed property with modern rooms and a nice gym. It is also in central Evanston and a reasonable walk from the Northwestern campus.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was a totally enjoyable stay. I had an opportunity to enjoy the whirlpool and swimming pool. The room was pleasing to the eye and the bed extremely comfortable. The entire room was very clean and quiet. I had breakfast there, as well as a wedding banquet dinner. All of the food was delicious.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here in August 2012 while moving to Evanston for grad school. Nothing too outstanding about the experience. The place feels dated, like visiting your grandma's house. I didn't look forward to returning to the hotel for the night, and was glad to get out when my apartment lease began. I visited the hotel on other occasions for presentations by companies looking to hire Northwestern students, and the location provides a rather down-market environment for professional events, especially when viewed in contrast to the Hilton Orrington.

Not that it matters, considering that the hotel industry in Evanston is an oligopoly. As a result, they can get away with pretty much anything, including:

1) Charging for parking when we been paying for it each day at the ticket machine of the garage adjacent to the hotel. Seems like a pretty thick-skinned move. An email pointing out the error, to the contact person (Bonnie Kincaid) listed on the hotel's website, went unanswered for 10 months.

2) Not having their [--] together for graduation reservations. You would think that the hotel's operations should revolve around this significant annual event, given its locale. They will never have trouble filling rooms over graduation even at ridiculously inflated rates - but this smacks of complacency and disrespect for customers. Having seen on the website that reservations were allowed up to one year in advance, I went on one year out from graduation (June 21) to make a reservation for graduation as it's the nearest hotel to my apartment. No availability. Made several unsuccessful attempts over the next few days. Finally called on June 29 and was informed that graduation reservations would open on 1 July. Called on 1 July and was redirected to central reservations, who told me that the rooms were sold out for graduation and she had no idea why someone answering the same phone number two days ago would have told me something completely different. I didn't want to deal with them anymore so I booked another hotel instead.

In mitigation, the front desk staff are relatively helpful, and the parking matter was addressed quickly once the weak link had been bypassed through a follow-up email to the accounts manager (10 months later).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nitpicker011

We thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip. Reading your comments, it appears that we fell short of your expectations and for that, we sincerely apologize. We are accustomed to receiving very positive feedback from our guests and are disheartened that you did not experience the level of excellence you deserve. Please be assured that your concerns will be shared with our management team so that corrective measures are taken where feasible.

We do hope that you can give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel if your travels bring you to our area again.

James D

Reviewed June 29, 2013

When walking in the hotel, we saw the lobby had been "redone". I am just trying to figure out which manager's girlfriend was allowed to redo the lobby. There was cheesy shower curtains hanging on the ceiling in the lobby, and cheesy inspirational quotes that said " a garden's path can take you anywhere" and others painted on the walls around the lobby. Also, outdoor furniture was taken inside and used as lobby furniture and plants were painted on the doors. While I understand it is called the Hilton garden inn, these decorations were cheesy and unessecary. Just build a garden outside. Despite this, I was not disappointed at all by my stay. The rooms were great and super clean, the restaurant and bar was great, and the location was top notch. I really liked the free coffee and water in the lobby and the free cookies. The room service was a nice surprise as I would not suspect this hotel to have room service. It was very good. The employees were very nice and the front desk staff was great. I also really liked the complimentary ground transportation. Overall, a great stay.

Room Tip: Choose a suite on the corner of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Hilton Orrington/Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Homestead
The Homestead
#6 of 7 in Evanston
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston? Share your experiences!