Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Priceline
Hotels.com
Ascend
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 2, 2017

This hotel started as a rooming house for young ladies in the 1920s. It is now certainly a gem on the North Shore. The rooms are very modern with 1920s style, The Grand Parlor is nice for socializing or just relaxing. Service is above excellent.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2017

We've stayed at the Margarita Inn several times, as it is located on the same block as our daughter's apartment. The neighborhood is quiet and the boutique nature of the hotel is evident in it's varied types of rooms. Beds are comfy and bathrooms are modern and clean. Interiors are old and slightly musty, but some might find that charming. Our room on this stay was very small, with barely room to turn, but on other stays we have had larger more well-appointed accommodations.

Breakfast is included, with a hot porridge, pastries, coffee, milk and juice. Adequate to start the day.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2017

This is an update to my previous review, entitled, "Disappointed," which is copied below.

After posting this review, I received a very nice note from the innkeeper, who expressed his gratitude for the feedback and deep regret for my disappointment. Such concern for a guest's comfort and satisfaction deserves recognition. While I stand by the substance of my original review, I have upped my rating from two to three stars to reflect the "caring" and good will of the Margarita's management.

REVIEW:
While the concept is good--quaint European-style hotel--the execution is sadly lacking. On the positive side, the hotel's location is convenient to the heart of Evanston; public spaces (lobby, parlor) are large and comfortably appointed; our double room was spacious; mattress was comfortable; wifi was good; and breakfast, though limited in choice, was to our liking. The negatives:

1. Condition of premises: run-down. The photos on the website are deceiving. Our room was filled with cheap-looking furniture masquerading as antiques. Walls were heavily scuffed, woodwork was in poor condition, windows were a disgrace (dirt, torn screens, cracked window pane, awful blinds).
2. Cleanliness: unsatisfactory. There were cobwebs in the corners, the lampshades were stained, the bathroom grout was nasty in places, and the attractive black-and-white bathroom tile floor was scattered with grit. Almost every towel was stained.
3. Service: so so. While the staff was friendly and pleasant, it was a hassle hauling the luggage across the parking lot, which was a little distance away, and up and down stairs to get to the lobby. There is no valet service whatsoever.

UPDATE: But I may give them another try...

Room tip: I suggest you ask to see the room before checking in.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Anne T
Reviewed April 20, 2017

I was in the area on business, and chose this hotel over the chain I have my points with because it looked like an interesting, unique place, and had great reviews online. It didn't disappoint - this is one of the more memorable places I've stayed. The sitting room where the morning pastries and coffee are served turned out to be a great place for an impromptu business meeting with my customer. The staff members were friendly and helpful, and my room was very clean. I will definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2017

First, the staff here is just amazing! I had called ahead of time with a couple of questions and the lady, I think her name was Katherine, not only answered them, but gave me suggestions on how to make our trip even more enjoyable. When we arrived, Katherine had printed out the map for the train and marked our stops and transfers for easy travel. The train station is literally around the corner, which is great! Our room was beautiful with antique furniture and an extremely spacious bathroom. It's hard to pick one favorite thing about this hotel, but if I had to, it would be breakfast! The pastries were amazing! I haven't had a crescent so delicious since I was in Europe. Although I didn't have a chance to talk with him, we did see the French chef out visiting with the guests. The library was beautiful. The old Otis elevator with the cage door adds a lot of character. There are several great restaurants within walking distance and the neighborhood is very charming and feels very safe. The hotel offers off street parking for only ten dollars, but there seemed to be plenty of street side parking as well at no cost. My husband and I will definitely stay here again. In fact, we may never stay in the heart of Chicago again with this option so close by at such a great price!

Date of stay: March 2017