“Farmer's appetite food.......”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Horstead
Recruiting Sergeant
Ranked #1 of 1 Horstead B&B and Inns
Sussex
“Farmer's appetite food.......”
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Be sure to be hungry when you eat here. Our first experience and although the starters looked varied and interesting we were so glad we didn't order a starter. The main meal was so big and piled high it tended to be off putting. It was cooked well and tasty. There was a small boy on a table close by who was given a meal large enough for a hungry adult. They had to ask for a spare plate to be able to split his meal in two to enable him to eat it.

A pudding was totally out of the question and even a coffee would have overfilled us.

So go there but don't have breakfast before going for lunch.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We called in this evening with out booking, they were very busy but were more than happy to find us a table had another fabulous meal. Can not fault the food and the service.
We will call in again in 2014.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for there dinner package, that was very good value. They have a very good menu, with lots of fish dishes. All the waiting staff in the restaurant were very attentive. Our room was spotlessly clean. Lots of choice for breakfast. I was recommended to the 'Full English', and was not disappointed,it was huge.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Had an evening meal here the other day. It was the best pub food I have had in a long time. Well worth the very reasonable prices. Worth another visit. I had Hake with squid and chorizo for main and crumble for pud. All cooked to perfection.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank ameedog
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

When the children were younger we had holidays hiring boats on the Broads. My son has his own boat now which is too big to navigate North of Yarmouth. Trawling the internet - by chance we read about "The Recruiting Sergeant" (at Horstead) its' gourmet menus and the "Farm to Fork & Fish' deli shop they also own (opposite).Being food addicts (& gluttons) - we thought it would be a pleasant challenge to spend a weekend there just eating, (within the proximity of the Broads as well)! We didn't realise just how lucky we were - to find two rooms vacant at the same time! It is obviously an older building which the (youngish) proprietors (Mathew & Nicola) have owned and developed since the 1990's & as (I think) 'Mat' is one of the chefs, they concentrated on food (hence their enviable reputation) - for meals you have to book way ahead! Until about two years ago when they decided to have the upstairs converted and modernised to this century! ("Laura Ashley Style"- no expense spared) and include B&B!! I believe they now own several pubs in Norfolk. Perhaps I'll try the others one day! Since retiring in the 1980's I have cruised on the largest liners and been to some of America's most extravagant hotels . . . but for a British country "B&B" pub, the sheer comfort, quality of food and friendly service puts these folk in a comparable class of their own! An extra bonus is being looked after by such pleasant, friendly (and pretty) young female staff!! As all the food is plentiful & cooked fresh it can more or less be cooked to order. I can't wait to go back there !!! It has occurred to me since - that as Sandringham Castle is not that far up the road - as a pleasant change of venue perhaps the next Royal visit to the area might prefer to stay at "The Recruiting Sergeant" ! It is certainly 'Fit for a Queen' . . . !!!!!!

Room Tip: Unfortunately I believe there are less than ten rooms. My son and I had one each which were "O...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Within 24 hours of arriving at The Recruiting Sergeant I was already so taken with it that I immediately arranged to change my stay from two weeks to three weeks, and by the time I left I felt that even three weeks wasn't enough and began to make plans for a month-long stay. Innkeepers Nicola and Matt are charming and personable, the staff is friendly and accommodating "above and beyond the call of duty," the pub area is jolly, the outside dining area is spacious and beautiful, the food is exquisite and portions are large. My room was the loveliest room I've ever had in a B&B, very large and very well-appointed, stocked with biscuits and varieties of tea and bottled waters (the waters being in a choice of still or sparkling or both). There isn't even one negative thing that can be said about this place. I intend to visit it yearly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horstead
The Norfolk Mead Hotel
Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
The Plough Inn
The Plough Inn
#1 of 1 in Marsham

Been to Recruiting Sergeant? Share your experiences!