“A meal I will never forget !”

The Recruiting Sergeant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Horstead
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Award winning pub and restaurant with bedrooms situated in the village of Horstead, near Coltishall, in Norfolk.
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Excellent food, service, ambience and knowledgeable waiting staff. Can't wait to return !!
A special occasion meal to celebrate my sisters 50th birthday and certainly one we'll never forget. Couldn't fault it.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Loved it here, my husband proclaimed the Steak and Kidney pudding the best ever, and I must admit it did taste fabulous. My brill was excellent and we had a great evening here. Excellent and highly recommended.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Busy busy busy!!!
My 18 year old ordered the gargantuan seafood tapas-it was like an episode of"Man versus Food " I tell you but with assistance from greedy parents was not defeated!!
Lacklustre floury/dry bread rolls & uninspiring overly expensive desserts rather lets the side down.........however if you like hearty pub food;big portions & a buzzy atmospere-well for North Norfolk-this is worth a try......lot of locals would appear to agree.
Booking is essential!!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

The Recruiting Sergeant is situated on a busy roundabout and it's outward appearance belies a warm and welcoming interior and charming garden. The food is locally sourced and perfectly cooked. The Ham Egg and Chips is a revelation and the more sophisticated plaice with brown shrimp butter absolutely delicious. In addition the omelette Arnold Bennett the best ever.
All portions are substantial and the service assiduous. What more could you ask for other than a menu you can read without a magnifying glass?

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Visited as a party of 4.2 of us had fish dishes which were fine but the men had the steak and kidney pud which was more pastry than filling. Not very good at all. We were also charged £7 for an insignificant glass of Sauvignon which I thought was a rip off.
Service was also slow.
Obviously the place is doing something right as it was full but I wouldn't rush back there.

2  Thank bapton