“Great for the price”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Elmhurst
A TripAdvisor Member
Maryland
Reviewed December 20, 2005

This Marriott location used to be an Amerisuites so do not expect to be one of the new and nice Springhill Suites. Rooms and lobby need a little bit of an upgrade, but the overall experience is pleasant. The staff is usually helpful. Bottom line; average night stay will cost you $109. For that price, there is no reason to complain too loudly. Chicago city line is 16 miles away and the train station is 5 minutes away. Town of Elmhurst is a nice place.

Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Chicago Elmhurst/Oakbrook Area

Reviewed October 18, 2005

I stayed for one night in early September. The room was clean and the staff was friendly at check-in. The room was laid out a little different that other Springhill's I stayed at. The main differences were no ceiling fan in the room and there was no closest. (Just a rack to hang your clothes on)
For the price (which was the Saturday after Labor Day) I could have got a fancier hotel for the same price on Priceline or one of the other websites. Nothing wrong with the place, but it didn't give me any incentive to stay there again and I have traveled to the Chicago area frequently for the last 25 years.

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank dickson_thunder
Reviewed August 23, 2005

I cheated when I stayed here. There were 7 of us. 3 adults. 4 children all under the age of 7. I reserved a studio suite with 2 beds and sleeper sofa. After driving 10 hours we get there and they don't have the room I had reserved, they only had 2 beds. They said I could wait 2-3 hours for the carpet to dry in the room I wanted. I said I had travel in a car 10 hours with kids and could not wait 2-3 hours (it was already 6:00 p.m.). They upgraded me to a penthouse suite at the same rate. If the penthouse suite was an upgrade I hate to see what the studio suite was. We brought along canned items to cook for lunch to save on money. No bowls, no plates, nothing. Not even ice trays in the freezer. After asking front desk was told that dishes and utensils were in the microwave. 4 paper plates and 4 packets of utensils like you get at KFC. We were gone all day Saturday to a family reunion, got back in at 10:00 p.m. to find they had cleaned the room but no one put toilet paper in the bathroom. How can you not put toilet paper in the bathroom? Parking was great. The swimming pool was great. Did not eat at Outback or roomservice as we had other plans all the time. The kids loved watching the EL go by every twenty minutes but it was loud. The view from the penthouse studio suite was fantastic. Could see the Chicago skyline and even parts of the airshow. I expected too much from the hotel even though I paid only $99 per night. I would stay again with no hesitations unless I knew of a better hotel at the same or lower rate in the same area with the same amenities.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank carol41363
A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis
Reviewed June 6, 2005

I stayed in this this hotel over the memorial day weekend. The rooms are ok but Pantry or kitchenette is a joke. Before reserving i enquired if they have dinnerware and cutlery in the rooms and they told us that they do. But when we moved in we realized that there were just 2 paper plates and a set of platic spoons and forks. While checking out I happen to leave a set of my house keys. I called them the same evening and told them where exactly i had left them but I think it was too much to expect the gentleman at the counter to send someone immediately and get hold of the keys. They called me the next morning and told me that they have found the keys and they are mailing it to me. I received the keys after a few days but they were not mine. I called again but they say that is what they found in the lost and found box. Even now they refuse to send someone to check the place that i have been telling them where I left the keys (Room 315, behind the VCR).

• Stayed: May 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2004

We got a great deal here on a room and longterm parking, FAR less than the longterm parking would have been at the airport lots for the five(!) weeks we left our car there. Our stay in the hotel was very pleasant, the airport shuttle was fine and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We were delighted in every respect.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank propaneKauai
Reviewed June 19, 2004

I stay at the hotel quite frequently when i am in Chicago on business. The free airport shuttle is a huge asset to this hotel. They will also take you to the grocery store, the train station or to the movie theater if you ask. There are a few glitches at the front desk, they sometimes seem confused or irritated with each other. But i have never had a problem that isn't solved immediately by speaking with the manager. The rooms are big and clean, the breakfast buffet is great. For those of us who need protein for breakfast, there are always hard boiled eggs on the buffet which i have never seen at any other complimentary breakfast buffet. There is a terrible "traffic flow" problem at the buffet at peak hours, but for the value i can over look that. The work out room is a great feature with 2 treadmills and a stationery bike with a TV in the room as well. All in all, i find this a very nice place to stay, as long as you aren't afraid to speak up (pleasantly!) when the staff lags a little.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank KarenGeneva
Reviewed December 8, 2003

We spend three days at Amerisuites Elmhurst during our summer vaccation in Chicago 2004. It was our first time stay at a hotel of this chain.
The hotel is about 20-30 minutes by car to Chicago center but very close to the airport. From this respect the place is fine. The rooms are ok, even that I expected a bit more space for a suite. Actually it is a single room with a kitchenette - what is ok. BUT: The people - service seems to be somehow from another universe - you pose a question and all you get is "I don't know" or "I don't mind" ... We complained about something not working in our room, it wasn't fixed. The breakfast was a mess as well: The buffet itself is very nice and lots of choises availible but the service staff prefers to talk to each other and to ignore that customers complain about knifes, forkes and plates not availible. The tables are not cleaned up so that the remains of the kids glue you to the chairs and tables. And when you look inside the kitchen, you see a couple of service ladies talking and having breakfast together the same time. This happed each day to us, three times in a row. So I assume, it is normal and the management of the hotel runs it like this. I will definately not return in this hotel.

6  Thank DoktorCB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmhurst
Courtyard Chicago Elmhurst/Oakbrook Area
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Elmhurst - O'Hare
Clarion Inn Waterford Convention Center
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakbrook Terrace
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago / Oakb...
#2 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace

Been to SpringHill Suites Chicago Elmhurst/Oakbrook Area? Share your experiences!