“Eat here every time I come into town with my five kids”
Review of Portillo's

Portillo's
Ranked #1 of 154 Restaurants in Elmhurst
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I avoid the crowds by eating early, usually before 5. Yes, you do have to wait a few minutes for the food but mine has always been hot and fresh. I always get the Italian Beef with extra gravy, it's SUPPOSED to be soggy! That's what makes it good! The beef is always flavorful and delicious but OH MY WORD, their chocolate shake cake. I have dreams about it. I always bring my crazy kids in here and I never feel like we're bothering anyone. I like the atmosphere. Staff is always super patient with my huge order :)

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stopped by for a late dinner. Hubby had an Italian Beef sandwich which he loved. I, not being in mood for dogs or sandwiches, decided to try the ribs, which the ordering person told me would take 12 minutes. Hubby had to go to separate counter for beer, where no one was there to get it. Went to find someone to find the beer guy. The place was run by teenagers and the missing man was the only one old enough to pour the beer. It was a full 5 minutes before he showed up. No apology, no explanation. And thank God, hubby was the only one waiting. Meanwhie I waited 20 min for my ribs and a very OVER-BAKED potato. Ribs were better than I expected, but nothing to rave about. I'm not a fan of Sweet BBQ sauce, which their's is. I just prefer tangy. To each his own. Considering we were two of only a handful of inside customers, we thought the service was poor. We did notice a BOOMING drive thru business outside. That line snaked around the entire building.So they must be doing something right. Just not our cup of tea. I would try it again to try the hotdogs. Time was 9:30 pm.

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

I visit Chicago and surrounding areas quite frequently and I have never eaten at Portillo's. This eatery has very poor food preparation and the food was very soggy. I ordered an Italian Beef and All beef hotdog.
The Italian beef was very soggy and did not have any flavor. My order was tossed in a bag from the person who prepared it to the expo. I thought that was alittle odd. I unwrapped a wet soggy mess. Maybe that is how they do it around here, but in the south food is treated much differently! I have to say that the fries and all beef hotdog was good, but nothing special. I think a good hotdog should be grilled and not boiled! This is a rather lazy way of cooking anything other than eggs. Staff was very friendly and helpful. One visit was enough for me.

1  Thank JustinJax
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This location is representative of the rest of the chain. They offer much better than average hot dogs. Their char-burgers are run of the mill. Their salads are really good and their pastas are great.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

If you like Italian beef and Hot Dogs, this is the place for you! My kids love the chicken nuggets and claim they are "the best anywhere!".