“Our go to family-friendly Friday fish fry”

Mack's Golden Pheasant
Ranked #7 of 150 Restaurants in Elmhurst
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Elmhurst, Illinois
“Our go to family-friendly Friday fish fry”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

There is that place you go where you feel comfortable, welcome, and like you can really relax and unwind. Mack's is that place for our family. We've been going here regularly for 16 years - hubby always gets fish fry, I always get another fish dish. There is always enough food -and it is tasty. Both of our sons like it here too.

The service is terrific, and we've broken in a couple of "trainees" over the years -

The food is good, unique overrings you won't find elsewhere in their Bavarian menu, and some other surprises as well.

The bar is always hopping on a Friday night, but I have never felt uncomforatable waiting in the bar even when my sons were little. That is, when we've needed to wait - which is not too long or too often...we eat around 6p.

They added an outdoor terrace with seating for dinner that we enjoy alot. It overlooks the backyard- yes, there is a backyard! You'd be amazed at how beautiful the backyard is at this restaurant on the corner of 83 and North Ave!

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank wandering-until-

Lombard, Illinois
“Cozy German restaurant”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Golden Pheasant has a comfortable, homey, pleasantly cluttered interior that makes it feel like a family (not chain) restaurant. The decor is Old World, German: tapestries on the walls; wooden furniture; a fire place; paintings of European villages; a display of butterflies in a case. Whichever way you turn, there's something to look at. The back of the restaurant is all glass, opening to a large back lot full of trees and especially pretty in the snow. You can forget you're in part of an immense urban area; it feels more like a restaurant in a small town in Wisconsin.

The menu is not especially unusual or surprising, though it does feature a few German entrees and appetizers, and it has more seafood selections (including walleye and trout) than you would usually find. The meals I've had have been uniformly excellent. The best seating is toward the back of the restaurant, by the fireplace (which they keep burning) and the windows overlooking the backyard. It's a great place to relax and a great place to bring guests.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Lance W
Winfield, Illinois
“Great Brunch!!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Haven't been here in years! Love this place! Food is amazing and being a Sunday brunch buffet was even better!! Everything from typical breakfast items to specialty foods! The buffet was huge! So much to choose from! The dessert table had so much and they changed to different things every time I went back up! Met up with friends and no one went hungry.

The service is great, the staff is very helpful and very friendly! It has a great bar area to watch sport games, tons of seating and friendly service! Big fireplace in the seating area which makes for a cozy evening or great warmth on a chilly winter day.

Can't wait to go back! They are doing a Thanksgiving menu, wish it was buffet style, but either way, having them cook for a holiday would be treat!

I checked off "scenic view" they have a wonderful outdoor atrium garden area complete with little waterfall. Very nice grounds in such a busy area!

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank Skimmer2065
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sixty-five year old Elmhurst institution seems to be resting on its laurels”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Over the years I have been here several times and had always enjoyed the Eastern European flavors very much. This evening my wife and I went there and had a mediocre experience. On the positive side, the wait staff were very friendly and accommodating, the French onion and chicken dumpling soups were very good and the salads were fresh with tasty homemade ranch and French dressings. On the down side, my wife's walleye pike smelled and tasted as if it had gone off. The red cabbage was overly sweet. My Wiener schnitzel was a far cry from the Viennese speciality that I love. Instead of one tenderloin pounded out flat and thin, there were two thick pieces, the meat in which looked and tasted re-constituted. The breading was good, though, as was the sauerkraut. The bread dumplings were dry and served with little gravy. Looks like most reviewers are raving about this place; so, I hope this was just a bad night. I will not rush back anytime soon

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Orso52
Bettendorf, IA
“Great REAL place in Elmhurst”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have been here two times previously for family dinners, and have enjoyed it a lot. My wife and I were here for a late lunch today; and my comment was that it's a good thing that I don't live nearby, or I would be here all of the time!

The atmosphere is old world international, and (of particular interest to me) there is nothing corporate about it. It is an old-time very comfortable neighborhood restaurant and bar. The food is excellent and the portions are large. The staff is real (no high school kids or gushing crowd-pleasers), and there is a German beer on tap (as well as a Belgian).

• Visited October 2013