The Ballymac Hotel
$70
$86
Premier Inn Lisburn Hotel(Lisburn)(Great Value!)
$82
$80
  • Restaurant
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssteaklarge portionsfamily mealwill defo be backwould highly recommend this hotelwedding receptiononion ringssunday afternoongreat mealfantastic hotelpavlovabar foodlovely foodfirst classulster frybelfastlisburn
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 10, 2012

So we have just had a one night stay in the Ballymac Hotel for a friend's wedding and decided to stay over. £80 was the price for the night (wedding rate). The food served for the wedding was just terrible with everything clearly having been kept warm as the "creamed" potatoes had a lovely crust all over them this was accompanied by some boiled to death carrots, stuffing straight out of a tesco value packet and some "turkey" which was brown in colour, tasted reheated and had fat and veins all over it! The bar is extremely expensive with one bottled beer and a vodka and lemonade costing nearly £9. As for the rooms they are basic with hard mattresses and a really dirty bathroom floor. After trying to sleep through all the noise we awoke in the morning to have a shower only to find that there was no hot water, 2 hours and 4 complaints later and we were given the keys to another room to use the shower in. this room had the same problem! There was also an extremely rude member of staff who really didn't care about the water and who basically told me where to go. The only saving grace from me giving this hotel a 1 star review was the lovely receptionist who handled the no hot water situation very well even though she was being bombarded by complaints from all the guests. I personally would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they addressed their issues.

Room Tip: Go camping in the field opposite instead. The cows will provide better customer service and satisfaction than this hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nikki V
Reviewed November 5, 2012

stayed at the hotel nov 2012. Booked the room over the phone told the girl we were going to a function in the hotel that night.Got to the room what a surprise so disapointing bathroom floor filthy with ground in dirt ,tiles black with mould,bed really uncomfortable,well used;;; not even a nice duvet on bed plain white very dated room needs brought out of the seventies.,view from the window was on to a back yard were bins were left wide open and cats were eating from them.Dint have a meal just breakfast was ok.all in all if you want to stay at this hotel dont say you are going to a function as they must put you in the worst rooms .definately would not stay again overated stuck in a time warp.needs exstensive renovations.

Room Tip: stayed in room 4 only tip i have is check out your room first avoid room 4 at all costs
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank robert503
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have been at this hotel x2 during that past 6 months, my most recent experience being only last night. On both occasions I have sampled the food and therefore I'm unable to comment on the bedrooms / function facilities.

Both visits (same company), and 1 member of the party appears to dine here regularly and has nothing but praise for the establishment, connections spanning back many, many years.

On my first visit I ate in the restaurant mid week – the dining room was extremely busy as was the bar area, and I certainly got the impression that this was a popular venue with locals, families and travellers alike. At 7.30pm the restaurant was buzzing, very noisy and full of young children – my advice is not to go here a romantic meal in the country at this time of the evening /during the summer... it was difficult to hear myself talk, let alone decipher what my colleagues were saying!
It was obvious too that a wedding reception had taken place and that the break between meal and evening entertainment was taking place - the guests were of varying ages comprising babies to elderly – and I must add I was more than a little surprised to discover that the majority (within the legal age range) were rather too noisy and intoxicated for my liking (and don’t think that prudish I can enjoy myself too, but honestly, goodness knows what the surroundings would have been like given a few more hours on the liquor – as for the guests – well, my guess is they would all be lying flat on their backs!? Perhaps it was something to do with the fat handbags of the ladies?
All that said though – our visit was with the aim of getting a meal – all 3 choices came from the kitchen piping hot, beautifully presented and carried by a very pleasant young lady. Service was attentive throughout. We were offered more to drink, condiments and checked upon with sincerity – the bill wasn’t too bad either! The surroundings whilst pleasant enough seemed to be a little tired and in need of a general sprucing; I got the distinct impression from what I observed that the entire day had been a busy one. I’m sure you will understand if I suggest the environment reminded me of Mother’s Day in a seaside resort hotel? So busy that no-one had had time or puff enough to vacuum or restock the crockery?!
All in all I’ve no doubt that had we been lucky enough to miss the “wedding break out” our experience would have been very much more pleasant – though our bellies were satisfied and we went home happy enough.

2nd visit: Wednesday 24 October. Same company – and NO WEDDING! Surprisingly the Hotel was still relatively busy; this leads me to therefore assume that the quality of the food is indeed the attraction at this venue? I believe it’s fair to say that the surroundings externally are pleasant and rural with ample car parking. The foyer average – nothing wonderful, but not terrible either and we were greeted by a very pleasant female receptionist. The bar area is much as one would expect after observing the exterior, pretty average but in ok status. Nothing memorable.

Our party chose completely different main courses, and once again they were served promptly; nice and hot and with courteousness. Cutlery, glasses and crockery were all shiny clean and the staff well presented and amicably mannered. We arrived at 8.15pm(ish) this time, so a little latter – and it was notable again the age group within was of varying range. Whilst it would be interesting to know how may of those we met were residents, there is no doubt that the food is well liked here– we didn’t consider the restaurant during this visit because quite simply there was ample room in the bar area. A point worthy of note is –tables are high and very comfortable to eat at as opposed to the low variety which we sometimes need to negotiate in so many lounge areas.
So after 2 visits – I can recommend the Ballymac for a meal and I’m fairly sure you won’t be disappointed with your meal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Valtpal
Reviewed September 6, 2012

From reading the reviews about this place, I thought i would book myself and my boyfriend in over the weekend of a family wedding. The room cost £80 for one night. On first impression the hotel and the rooms where beautiful. My boyfriends brother and girlfriend also had booked to stay, however their room was not as nice as our own, and in the end they asked to be moved to another room, due to the first not being cleaned 100%. We then moved onto the bar for a light bite to eat before the wedding meal at 6pm. The food in the bar was beautiful. But as the evening progressed for some reason the manager would not allow anyone who had booked a room to bring their alcoholic beverage (which had been bought in the premises) back to their room. this lead to the drink having to be left at reception, and on return many of the time the drink had either been lifted by another member of the wedding party or by the bar staff. I feel this is a tad extreme, as we are the ones losing out due to having paid for a drink and then losing it. The next morning after the wedding I decided to have a shower roughly 3 hours before checkout. But when i got into the shower i realised that there was no hot water. Obviously I was annoyed, as after just spending £80 on one night stay the least i could have expected was a hot shower. We went to reception to report the issue and were told that 'this has never happened before' the handyman was then called to sort the problem. At this point I had already had to wash my hair in freezing cold water, and was not prepared to have to wait another 1/2hours for the boost button to kick in to heat the water up so I could therefore have a warm shower. We decided that there was not point waiting around, so decided to check out early. We made a complaint at the front desk and were informed that checked was not for another hour and if we wanted we could wait for the water to heat up and have another shower, as because it was a 'full house' it put pressure on the heating system. The manager did not even come out to hear our complaint directly. A hotel as small as the Ballymac should not book in a 'full house' let alone charge £80 for one night if they cannot accomodate for it. I was very annoyed at how the hotel handle the situation and will never stay here again! I am sure that there is places far cheaper that wll not only allow you to bring alcohol purchased on the premises to your own room that you have also paid for, but will also provide for a warm shower!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Meadhbh M
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed at the Ballymac Hotel on a business trip for a week. The Hotel was in easy access to the company I was visiting, the people at the hotel were really lovely and friendly, no issues. The hotel is used as a wedding venue which a wedding occurred at the time of my stay, so was a bit noisey and young chidren (around 13-15yrs) were running around knocking on door and running away, happened to me on two occassions.
The room itself is in need or decorating, the furniture is awful, stained and worn badly. They are no curtains but wooden blinds and one of these were broken at the top.
The food in the bar was good (eat 2 nights only) as on the first night of arriving at the hotel I eat in the restaurant and ordered Seabass, I had to send it back as it was not cooked correctly (the skin on the seabass should be crispy and brown); it was still silver and white. It came back still not cooked right.
I must say I picked the Ballymac Hotel as the website pictures highlights that the rooms were lovely however the actual rooms are not the same. Be aware the rooms are not the same as on the wbsite.
I have marked the hotel awith two stars as the staff at the hotel were lovely. Won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business