“Pleasant Stay - Would Do Again!”

Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Elk Grove Village
Marissa, IL
Reviewed June 6, 2006

A Friend and I traveled to Chicago for the weekend and booked this hotel. We booked it using the Buy Now! Deal and it was well worth it. Not a lot of fancy to the room, but it served the purpose we were looking for. The beds were very comfortable, the pillows were fluffy (we've had flat pillows before), the TV was a nice size with a lot of channels and a remote, the bathrooms were very room, there was a safe in the room, as well as a nice large dresser and a desk. The hotel employees were very accomidating and helpful and pleasant to deal with. The continental breakfast was just that -- a small breakfast consisting of donuts, juice, coffee and muffins. For those wanting something more for breakfast (or lunch or dinner) there is a great restaurant less than 5 miles from the hotel called Rose Garden Cafe.

It was an overall enjoyable experience. Only minutes from several major restaurant chains and lots of local restaurants. Less than 10 minutes from O'Hare Airport and the CTA Train Station (Blue line in Rosemont) where parking for 18 hours is only $3.00. This is the only way to do Chicago -- and definitely for the family looking to go there on a budget!

The only complaint I would have is the water. It smelled (and tasted) very metallic or sulfury. It was managable to take a bath or shower in though....

We would definitely stay again for the convienece and cost!

• Stayed: June 2006

Reviewed May 16, 2006

i stayed in the days inn elk grove for a couple of days leading up to wrestlemania 22, i dont think i have ever stayed in a hotel that was that bad. Thats all i'm going to say just read the review written by the Irish person i completly agree with that i aint going to waste time talking about that place.
I think i shared a cab from a hotel near the arena to Elk grove with the 4 Irish people who wrote the review of this hotel and i think speaking to them they are completly wright.
anywayz have a nice time if you are going there. : -)

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank Ben2779
Reviewed May 3, 2006

A group of four of us stayed at the Days Inn in Elk Grove over the Wrestlemania 22 weekend in March/April for 5 nights and here's what we thought.

The Good:
The rooms, not too bad, clean, fairly large beds in both of the rooms we had booked, water in bathroom smelled of a open sewer though, but I think that may be typical of the Chicago area.

A number of fast food restaurants within easy walking distance e.g. McDonalds, Subway etc.

The Bad:
Location was pretty bad, forget about walking any distance apart from McDonalds, no sidewalks (footpaths)!!.

Right next door to a gay nightclub, first night I heard screaming and shouting outside my window in the parking lot, fine after that though, maybe that first night was an exception perhaps.

Very far from the airport, downtown Chicago, Rosemont etc. Bus service is unreliable as it can make one of two stops either across the road from the Days Inn or two blocks away at Motel 6, usually it will choose the opposite stop to where you are waiting. Takes at least 15 mins to get to Rosemont/OHare by taxi (cost $25) or 30 mins by bus , then another 45 mins into downtown Chicago from Rosemont cta station by subway.

The Breakfast is a joke, think similar to a cheap Parisan hotel, 3 or 4 sticky buns and juice!!

The hotel claims it offers high-speed Internet, truth is not much faster than dial-up although it is wireless, and probably will be adequate for most people with laptops

From the outside not very inviting, no lift either to second floor, very steep stairs, I watched numerous people nearly die of exhaustion carrying their suitcase up those dreaded stairs and then have the door at the top nearly behead them.

Finally don't expect the staff to give you any mail that arrives addressed for you. 4 times we went up to checkin, the didn't even bother looking first few times, eventually we got our mail and enjoyed the Bulls v Celtics game on saturday night.

The verdict:

Overall ok if your on a budget or need somewhere to stay if you missed your flight, or there is an event such as Wrestlemania at the All State Arena. I also think you would need a car, as you need to book the airport shuttle the night before you leave, sometimes your not sure of times etc.

If this hotel was nearer chicago, then it would be ok, but otherwise only book if you fall into one of the three categories mentioned above

Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank Noelvegas
dallas
Reviewed April 24, 2006

I had booked in the Days Inn chicago west on an non-refundable basis as my hubby had myself were supposed to drop off my mother at chicago..I had read the views from other people only at the last minute which definitely didnt show me any plus points abt the hotel..But cancellation was not possible , being very apprehensive i decided to carry on..
The unpleasant wait for the shuttle started from the airport to hotel itself..I didnt find the hotel too near to the airport either and with the traffic it took a solid 25 minutes or more..
The breakfast which they said would be provided was all but Coffee and Cakes..(At the most they can provide bread and butter for a decent breakfast and not doughnuts)
The rooms was nothing special, not smelly luckily as we had taken the non-smoking class.But the bathroom fittings were rusty and the water smelt rusty too..The remote didnt work and i had to personally go and get it changed.
The next day we were told that the shuttle service can be utilised to go up and down the downtown station only once in a day.i found that very strange...And while returning to the hotel in the evening we had to experience another long wait for more than a hour..I dont understand y do they hv a shuttle service in the first if they cant be helpful to the guests.. I could see all other hotels havin frequent shuttles.. They were also very strict on the checkout timings..12pm inspite of whatever time u checked in..But i was happy to chk out with a 2 night stay..
My conclusion cheap deals can not be so pleasant.. I might not stay here again..

• Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed April 24, 2006

We stayed here before our trip to Mexico as a place to park our car. It was the cheapest by far and there was no extra charge for parking longer than a week. It was a more of a motel than a hotel but the lobby was nice, the carpet in our room was new and bed was clean. We didn't shower there because the water seemed really sulfery so I wouldn't stay longer than a quick over night before a flight out the next day. The shuttle was consistant and picked us up within 20 minutes - our car was safe and sound when we returned. It was an overall positive experience.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank mitrips
Reviewed December 22, 2005

Stayed in this hotel to catch shuttle for an early flight at O'Hare. Upon check-in, we were told that the shuttle only runs on the hour---totally annoying, because we had to leave 45 minutes earlier than planned. The staff was not very friendly either. Room was basic, and the bathroom was low rent. You can't really hear the highway in the back of the hotel. We are budget travelers but we won't consider this hotel again (at least not for the $60 we paid).

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank Midwestcouple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 11, 2005

My flight from OHare was canceled due to a snowstorm and the airline's hotel service offered a low rate for this place. The airport shuttle took well over an hour to arrive, which I attributed to the snow, and the driver was pretty rude as well. If you stay here, avoid the back building at all costs. The heat wasn't working all night, there were tears and cigarette burns in both of the bedspreads, the sheets and blankets covering the stained mattress were sour-smelling and the bathroom was really grimy. I wasn't expecting a world-class resort but this place wasn't even clean. There was cable TV, but snowy reception. I was relieved to get out of there and back to the airport the next morning. Yuck!
In my experience, the Days Inn name usually stands for flea-bag motel, and this one was no exception.

• Stayed: December 2005