“The friendliest most accomodating staff ever...”
Review of Elk Grove Hotel

Elk Grove Hotel
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Elk Grove Village
Grand Haven, Michigan
“The friendliest most accomodating staff ever...”
Reviewed February 3, 2011

We were stranded in Chicago due to the 2011 blizzard. They were the first hotel that I found with an indoor pool and shuttle service to the airport. They were super accomodating!!!! I had even forgotten my blackberry plug at home and they loaned me one! The manager Jeannie was so nice and friendly and even the housekeeping staff were so accomodating. The atrium around the pool is huge and we even saw a resident squirrel scurrying around in the indoor trees. When the sun shines outside, it also shines in the atrium. Everything was clean and the kids loved the pool and hot tub. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
adamse, Director of Sales at Elk Grove Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2011
Thank you for your review. The majority of people that come to a hotel do not take the time to share their thoughts about their experience. So your response is most appreciated. Were glad you stayed with us and we hope you come back again sometime soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Tubarão, SC
Reviewed December 13, 2010

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! I had a terrible experience. According to my experience, I define the hotel as dirty, disgusting, it smells bad, terrible neighborhood, terrible service. If an airline company send you to this hotel, complaint, complaint and complaint again. If they don't change the hotel, pay your own stay and go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
adamse, Director of Sales at Elk Grove Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Thank you for your response. Were sorry that you feel this happened to you, as the majority of guests which are thousands each month do not have that type of experience during their visit.
Our recent inspection from Ramada was a B+ on houskeeping issues so I'm not sure what you were taking about. Four months ago we installed an air freshener system in the hotel so that hasn't been an issue either. The airlines have reffered thousands of people to our hotel over the last year and we have an excellent rating with them. Many of our guests do come to us during stressful moments because of inclement weather and cancelled flights but, we always try and exceed their expectations. I wish you had complained while you were at the hotel so we could have done things right by you. I hope the rest of your trip was fine.
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed October 10, 2010

This place is DISGUSTING!! First thing we noticed was there was extension cords everywhere just hanging out for people to trip over! There was yellow water rings on the ceiling and mold in the corners that looked like it could possibly be black mold!!!! The bathrooms were gross there was only a cloth shower curtain so the floor was soaked and slippery when u got out and, there was mold around the shower walls! The toilet seat had chipping paint! The windows didnt have screens in them so you couldnt open the windows not to mention to lock was broken off the window!! The bedframes are made of plywood! The sheets were stained and the pillows stunk! The claim they have cable but theres only like 10 channels! NOW lets talk about the pool/hot tub!! The pool had some sort of alge slimey substance on the bottom! and the hot tub was just as gross! The pool towels were located at the front desk and they are the size of hand towels.. if u didnt take them back to the front desk they will charge you 25 dollars a towel!! I wouldnt reccomed this place to my worst enemy!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TiggerNscamper21
adamse, Director of Sales at Elk Grove Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Thank you for your review. It is quite different than most of our guests experiences with their stay. Wewish you had mentioned the room number so we could have followed up. Your comments are important to us and we took them seriously and went looking for the room you described. We do not have extension cords in our rooms and we have a preventative maintenence program in place to take care of and prevent the problems you mentioned. I wish you would of said something during your stay as we would of been glad to move you to another room. Our pool and Hot Tub are managed and controlled by an automated service by one of the industries most respected companies and have not found any evidence of your claim. In fact most of our guests do rave about our pool and the experience thay have. We do have almost 50 channels on the tv and our bed frames are made of metal. Again were sorry your experience wasn't positive as we do strive to have our guests have a positive experience. We hope you will reconsider and check us out again.
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Reviewed September 22, 2010

First a disclaimer. I did not actually stay at this facility. My review relates solely to the fraud committed against me by the hotel's management over a cancelled reservation. If it were possible to give this property a "zero" rating, I would.

The facts are as follows: On September 12th a reservation was made on my behalf through Expedia for a one-night stay at this hotel on September 14th. On September 13th I no longer needed the reservation so I called the hotel to cancel it (I subsequently learned I should have contacted Expedia, but that is beside the point and not relavent to my complaint). The staff accepted the cancellation over the phone. A week later, a charge appeared on my credit card from Expedia. Expedia agreed to remove the charge if the hotel would confirm that I had cancelled my reservation. However, the hotel denies - even in the face of my AT&T cell phone records that indicate otherwise - that I even called the hotel. The hotel staff member I spoke with about this charge, who indicated she was the manager, was extremely rude and refused to provide me with her name nor with the name of the hotel owner (which I subsequently obtained from Wyndham Hotels, which owns the Ramada chain and is aware of the situation as is the Better Business Bureau). At one point, when I was becoming frustrated on the phone with the alleged manager, she cautioned me that all phone calls were recorded. That was great news, I said, because then they'd have a recording of my cancellation call. Then I was told it was NOT true and that phone calls to the hotel are NOT recorded. (Another lie, I suppose.)

I have sent a letter to the owner of the hotel and am awaiting his response. I also understand that Wyndham has contacted the hotel regarding this matter as well, but the owner and management has yet to respond to me. Perhaps the owner and/or management will respond through Trip Advisor; I look forward to seeing what sort of light they put on this. All I'm asking for is honesty.

Of course, had I read the terrible reviews of this property earlier, I never would have made the original reservation. Hopefully this review will help dissuade at least 10 people from staying at the Ramada O'Hare. By doing so, I will have cost the hotel at least 10 times what they cost me.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank SEMOFolks
Your agreement with Expedia clearly states that you must cancel with them direct which you failed to do. However if a guest is courtious and explains the situation we normally try and work with someone. On the average several hundred peope a month make their reservation for our property through Expedia and they do not have a problem. The few comments here about are hotel are the exception and not the norm as on the average over 3000 people stay with us each month and have a great experience with us. Our management staff has been trained in customer service and takes pride in giving the best possible service they can. Despite your not staying with us and despite your cancellation mistake with Expedia we have tried to work this out with Expedia.
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Completely worn out hotel, totally stuck in the seventies. It reminded me of the hotel in the movie 'no Country for Old Men'. The window showed condensation inbetween the glass panes, you could not look out in a normal way. Front desk personnel was friendly but that was it. The whole hotel smelled of fungus. The breakfast was absolutely horrendous. A few cookies packed in plastic and awful coffee. The nonexistant personnel did not even do an effort to open the curtains. One of the most depressing places I ever stayed. The restaurant was closed forever. DO NOT GO THERE.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank stephanc2005
Thank you for your reviw. We have just taken over this property and were quite suprised by your review as it is not the norm for our guests. Our morning Complimemntary Breakfast is actually quite extensive and most of our guests do enjoy it. The restaurant lease had just recently ended and we are in the process of deciding what to do with it. We do have quite a few options for restaurants nearby for our guests also. The hotel is also going through a major upgrade and a lot of positive changes are taking place. We hope you will check back with us soon to see the improvements.
Clinton, Illinois
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The hotel was on a divided road and through our GPS navigator, we had to do several U-turns to get to the right entrance and actually get into the lot. When we stayed their computer system was down so it took longer than usual to check in. We had scheduled a wake up called for the morning, which never came. Luckily we had set our own alarm to get up for our early flight. Our car was safe and unharmed during our 4 day long trip. We were given a number to call when we got our luggage. The phone would keep ringing and ringing. We went to the door at the Bus and Shuttle center where we were supposed to meet. I had to call friends and family to make sure this was the right number for the hotel. As soon as I verified the number, the van drove off. It was a half hour from the time we got our luggage to the time we got to talk to someone at the hotel. They said they were too busy to pick up before. The receptionist called the driver while I was on the phone and said that she told him to turn around and pick us up. I couldn't understand what she really said to him because it was in another language. We continued calling and calling because the van was not coming back. The receptionist kept assuring us that the driver would be there in just a few more minutes. He finally came back after an hour. Another couple in the vehicle said that an hour was the length of the round trip that the shuttle made, so he did not come back to get us like the receptionist had stated. When we finally got back to the hotel, we asked to speak to the manager on duty, who's name was on the wall. The receptionist said the manager was not there. We will not be back to that hotel or a Ramada ever again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I did the park and fly and stayed one night at this property, leaving my vehicle here for a week to fly out of O'Hare airport. In reading prior reviews, I was very worried about what we might be getting into but we knew we would be getting in late and just going right to bed and flying out early the next morning. Let me first say the property and room were not dirty. You could smell the cleaning products upon entering the room and the room was very large with two double beds, a table and chairs, desk, closet area and dresser. The property is an old Holidome that is in need of updating (appears last update was late 70's) but for the price we paid, it was worth the money. And probably more importantly, my vehicle was safe and sound when I returned. This is not a place to "vacation" but for one night, it was worth the price we paid ($79). The pool and hot tub were closed while we were there "until further notice". So if you are choosing this hotel for either of these items, I would recommend asking if they are in operation before booking your stay. The staff was friendly and the continental breakfast was well stocked and had something for everyone. The bed was comfortable and linens were clean and fresh. The trip to the airport was 15-20 minutes and we were able to request the time we wanted the shuttle to take us to the airport with no arguments, as previous reviews indicated. The driver was there and we left at the exact time we had scheduled. The day we flew home, we called the hotel and even in the middle of rush hour (4:30 pm), the shuttle picked us up at the airport within 40 minutes. The hotel also gave us a gift of a travel alarm clock upon checkout. which was a nice surprise We did have one issue that is worth mentioning - the morning we were to fly out we got up to take showers but the hot water heater had broken in the middle of the night and there was no hot water. We were assured we would receive a small refund ($10-15) for the inconvenience, but to date haven't seen it. While I can understand that this was something they would have no way of controlling when it happened, had the property have been better maintained, something like this may not have happened. But again, I was not dis-satisfied with my stay and would stay again as a park and fly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family