“Desperate times call for desperate measures”

Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Elk Grove Village O'Hare
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Elk Grove Village
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were stranded in Chicago due to Hurricane Sandy and we needed a hotel near O'Hare. I didn't have time to do a proper search for hotels, I was on my phone, so I turned to Hotwire. I am guessing the room we got was the, "Oh, we will stick the Hotwire person here" room. I always find that tactic to be pretty slimy, you want the room filled, you ask Hotwire to list it and then you are going to screw with people?

First, I don't think the rugs in any spot in this hotel have been replaced since they were put down, years ago. They were just nasty. We did a bedbug check and fortunately found nothing, and I did not discover anything out of sorts the next morning. The fact that we felt it necessary to do a bed bug search tells you something.

The room had barely enough room to fit the full size bed. The television was atop what appeared to be some sort of storage unit. No quibbles about the fact the television was a good 10-15 years old. Plenty of stations to watch. Room to watch, well, my husband sat on the window sill that had a cushion on it, I sat on the bed. There was a desk, with a chair that has a few sits left on it.

Bathroom, there is a hair dryer. Use it if you have 3 strands of hair. Towels, thin, very thin. I actually used my hair dryer to dry myself. Thin, scratchy towels. All mismatched variations of white. No real water pressure. The shower head has never been cleaned.

Internet is free. Internet is not particularly fast. They do offer you a computer to print your boarding pass. The catch 15 cents per page. Really?

Favorite part, the other guest that was sparking up down the hall. We smelled a faint smell of pot when we stepped out the room at the end of the hall, as we walked down the hall it got stronger. Hmm, maybe they were on to something that would have made me overlook some things......

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
hojoohare, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Elk Grove Village O'Hare, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for your posting. Indeed, Hurricane Sandy was devastation for all the United States. We apologize that your stay was not as memorable as we would have hope that it should had been. Our efforts to try to accommodate each guest in hard times can be difficult to provide. We appreciate your comments and thank you for your stay.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I always enjoy the stay at the hotel. It is close to good eating places and easy to get around. The price for the room is very good for a persons budget so you can travel. It is easy to get on the highway to get downtown in a good time too. I have stayed here alot in the last few years and have always had a good experimet. I tell friends if they need a place to stay to stay here. I will keep coming here for a great stay.
Thanks Bruce

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for your excellent reviews Mr. Bruce. We appreciate all your compliments in regards to your overall stays here at the motel. We will always try to improve your stay and thank you for being a loyal guest.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The property exceeded my expectations. The room was sort of split into sleep / relaxing areas with a mini-refrigerator and microwave. Although there is no shuttle from the airport, it is possible to take the Blue Line one stop to Rosemont, and catch the 223 bus (the West route, not the East) for about a 15 minute ride. Internet was fine, basic food for breakfast. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

We appreciate all of your good comments about your stay. We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you in the future

Reviewed October 27, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was looking for a place near the airport for just one night. I stayed here because it was a little cheaper than the hotels closer to the airport. Turns out, it's not really because even though they advertise a hotel shuttle, they charge $20 for the shuttle back to the airport where they are going to pick up people, anyway. I've never heard of an airport hotel charging for use of the hotel airport shuttle to go to the airport.

Additionally, I thought I might go downtown for a few hours so they called me a taxi to go to the metro station. With the taxi booked, I asked how often they run on Sunday so she prints a schedule for me and I discover the next train won't be available for a couple hours. So she was going to send me to the metro station to wait for two hours. No thanks. That defeats the purpose. I'll just go back to the airport.

Other than that, the hotel was fine. The room was perfectly clean and adequate. I was annoyed the breakfast was done at 9:30, but only because I"m used to being able to get breakfast up to 10 a.m.

In short, if you're using this as a layover spot, add $20 to the cost of your stay to get back to the hotel. Or just stay closer to the airport since it's takes like 20 minutes to get back here anyway.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your posting. We apologize for your inconvenience in regards to the $20 shuttle, but we do not offer a shuttle from the airport to the motel. We always recommend our guest to take the CTA transportation that runs from O’Hare to downtown Chicago quite more frequently. We appreciate your business and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed October 14, 2012