“Fabulous!!”

Timber Ridge Outpost & Cabins
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Where do I start with this wonderful place with outstanding owners (Elizabeth & Marty) Our party consisted of myself, my husband & our 2 american eskimo fur kids.
Our first night we made reservations for the White Oak treehouse. Wow, how many people can say they stayed in a treehouse with all the comforts of home. There was a fresh layer of snow making everything sparkle as we looked out from our birds eye view.
Since White Oak was previously booked for our second night, we moved to the Wonderful cozy & spacious Sassafras cabin. Well, I think I could have made that cabin my new permanent address! Front porch swing, family room, full size kitchen, storage, full size staircase leading to loft that had 3 beds & not to forget the claw foot tub on the first floor! Perfect!!
Being a pet friendly paradise was the icing on the cake. As many will agree, our 2 dogs are truly our family members. I was beyond trilled to have a place we could take our dogs to explore, play, hike & have the time of their life. Now, for those who may not have fur family members, let me assure you; the cabins are kept immaculate. Not to plug travel channel but I am kind of a junkie for the tv show Hotel Impossible. Therefore, when traveling, I automatically go in a place & start my inspection. All i have to say is; "Anthony Melchiorri (host of Hotel Impossible) would be Proud of Timber Ridge cabins & their outstanding hospitality. Well done Elizabeth & Marty"!
I have to admit, when I originally made reservations I did wonder...it is the middle of winter, what are we going to do during our stay. Well, that thought was quickly answered by Marty & Elizabeth. We ate at some fun local places, hiked some beaitiful trails, visited & fed their horses etc. We stayed 4 days/3 nights & quickly ran out of time without getting to 1/2 of our planned activities.
In closing I want to Thank the owners for sharing their facility & making us feel part of your family! We look forward to many more visits & making more memories at Timber Ridge Outpost & Cabins.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Maple Oak Treehouse & it was fantastic! We had a wonderful time & it was such a unique experience. The staff is so friendly & amazing! We HIGHLY recommend Timber Ridge Outpost for people of any age and their pets ~ we will definitely return in the Spring & Fall 2014. Thank you for providing us with such an unforgettable weekend in Southern Illinois.

Rod & Julie ~

Room Tip: Maple Oak is a good size for 2-people; would be tight on space for any more than that; enjoy!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
TimberRidgeOutpost, Owner at Timber Ridge Outpost & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you so much for visiting us and for your kind words. We really do appreciate your business! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights in the Maple Oak (lower) Tree house. What a fantastic experience by owners Marty and Elizabeth. All accommodations were furnished. Our two large dogs were not only permitted but welcomed. Great access to beautiful hiking of Shawnee National Forest. Highly recommended them!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed in November, towards the end of Autumn. No leaves left in Chicago but plenty fall colors still in this part of the state. The tree house, the Maple, was like staying in a cabin except more fun. One dreams of building a tree house in your yard as a kid, but this surpasses that with a kitchen and indoor shower & toilet (not all rental/vacation tree houses have indoor plumbing). The treehouse was very clean, orderly, and yet had many amenities. The owners were friendly and organized. I appreciated being able to pay with PayPal. WiFi is even available, although we didn't use it. Who would want to with all the natural beauty surrounding the property and the countryside here. The main attraction is the Shawnee National Forest. The Timber Ridge Lodge is as close as you can get to Garden of the Gods part of the forest. Stupendous views and sunsets there. The owners have plans for adding a small store onsite, within an historic log cabin they recently purchased and refurbished. Would return and highly recommend!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great place to stay. Valley of the Gods. Zipline trip. beautiful hiking. Clean comfortable treehouse cabins with all of the amenities. Marty and Susan have made a beautiful resort in the wilderness. Very kid and pet friendly. Would recommend it to anybody. Quiet and serene without noisy neighbors to bother you.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed here in late July, in the smaller Maple Oak tree house. There were 4 of us, my 2 boys who fit in the futon, my husband and myself. My boys really enjoyed the tree house and getting to be in nature. It was a small space but, you are in a tree house, so don't expect a 100 sq ft apartment. We did get the experience of a thunderstorm on our first night in the tree house. It was interesting to feel the house sway with the movement of the trees due to the wind. My boys were nervous but the storm didn't last long and everything was fine.

Elizabeth was a gracious hostess and had answers to all our questions. The Shawnee Forest is just 5-10 minutes away and super easy to get too. If we ever come back Timber Ridge would be tops on our list to return to.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank smily21
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My family of 3 stayed in the smaller tree house and really didn't know what to expect but it was everything we hoped for and more. Of course, my 8 year old was out of his mind with excitement and I expected to find something like a house built near a tree but it's a real house in a real tree. I was really interested to hear how they built it. The tree house was great and had everything we needed (shower, bathroom, kitchen) and the fastest internet I have ever seen when you needed to connect. It was all very clean and much much more than we expected even after seeing the pictures. They have outdoor facilities like fire pit with supplied firewood, grills, picnic tables, you name it. The tree house obviously requires some climbing of stairs but they have the cabines for people who can't do the stairs which is nice. The family that owns this obviously takes pride in it and was very welcoming.

The surrounding area of the National Park was also great. I had no idea how much nature could be found in Illinois. I just wish we had more time for a longer stay. I'd highly recommend it .

Room Tip: If you can do the stairs, get a tree house. You'll be amazed.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabethtown
16 mi away
#1 of 2 in Golconda
River Rose Inn B&B
River Rose Inn B&B
#2 of 2 in Elizabethtown

Been to Timber Ridge Outpost & Cabins? Share your experiences!