“beautiful haven”

Timber Ridge Outpost & Cabins
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed for three nights in the Maple Oak treehouse at Timber Ridge with my wife and daughter last week. The treehouse is beautiful and set near several of the main attractions of Shawnee Nat'l Forest (Garden of the Gods, Rim Rock, Pounds Hollow, etc...). The owners (Marty and Elizabeth) are great people and gave us helpful suggestions of what to see and do around the area. My 10yr old daughter and I took an archery lesson with Marty which went so well, I think my daughter has developed a love for it! We would definitely come back to lovely Timber Ridge and the surrounding area. Off the beaten path, but that's what we were looking for. Well worth it!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Timber Ridge Outpost & Cabins

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Killed a couple of hours at Garden of the Gods, and then spent the night in a tree. Exactly what we we're looking for. If you're planning on spending a few days, make sure have enough to occupy your time. Location is remote.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We called Timber Ridge home for a few months. Elizabeth and Marty, the hosts, are incredible. The cabins are very nice with everything that you could want when you're away from home. The bed is comfortable and all of the extras provided such as towels, dishes, etc. are of high quality. The price point is a little higher than what you would expect from a cabin rental, but it is well worth it as you don't have to worry about anything. Elizabeth and Marty have taken great care to ensure that the guests have everything that they need from coffee in the morning to towels/linens and grilling utensils and dishes.

The location is great--really close to Garden of the Gods and other attractions in the Shawnee Forest (Rim Rock, Pounds Hollow). It's a great place to come camp out with the kids, have a serene getaway, a romantic weekend, or retreat for a few months.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ami M
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our family took over both tree houses and both log cabins for out fall get-together.. We were in the woods, yet we had comfortable beds, hot showers and full kitchens. We found the large Sassafras Ridge cabin to be a great place to gather as a group, but it was nice to have the privacy of our own cabin or tree house to go home to. The setting is beautiful and very, very peaceful. We highly recommend it. Our family will be back next year.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Donna H
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We rented The Hickory Hollow cabin for the weekend. We were concerned with the size for a family of 4 (3 adults, 1 teen) but it was the only available pet friendly place we could find for the weekend. Except for cooking and sitting together in the living room, it ended up being fine. It was bigger then a hotel room and had the advantage of being able to make a meal there. This is great when you travel with pets because we get tired of carry out. (Most hotels don't allow you to leave the dog behind). I don't know if I could handle a full week of close quarters but it was perfect for the weekend.

The cabin itself was adorable. They paid attention to wonderful detail when decorating. I loved everything! The bedroom was comfortable. There were luggage holders for our suitcases. The kitchen had your basic utensils. I brought my own large frying pan which I know I always need with my family. (I do wish I would have brought a large pot. They had one but there are times I'll use two at once). The bathroom was very cute! It looked like a mini spa. The only complaint there is there were no extra outlets.

We loved the land. It's right off the road yet secluded. The cabins / tree houses are nicely spaced. I enjoyed the swing on the porch for a place to sit and read....and watch my dog play with the owner’s dogs in the field in front of the cabin. Daisy and Buck were adorable and very well mannered. I think it was the best vacation our dog ever had!

The owners were very nice, very friendly. We didn't get a chance to meet Elizabeth but I enjoyed talking to her on the phone. She was also very patient and understanding when we canceled, then rescheduled a later date, and then went back to our original reservation! We had the pleasure of meeting Marty who was very nice and had a great sense of humor.

The location was so close to our first day trips to Rim Rock, Pounds Hollow, and Cave-in-Rock. On the second day we went to Giant City, Ferne Clyffe, and Heron Pond. These were farther away (about an hour) yet still close enough to enjoy.

We really enjoyed our stay! I think next time we'll book in advance and get the larger cabin so we are more comfortable, even though I couldn't imagine loving it like we did this one.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen W
Reviewed July 21, 2012

What a fantastic place to stay. Close to most sites in the Shawnee National Forest. The cabin was clean, nicely decorated and furnished. The only thing you need is food. Elizabeth and Marty are great hosts. I have heard and read a lot of reviews about cabins in the area, people requiring deposits and not returning it back. No such thing here. My wife and I enjoyed the cabin, after a day of hiking we returned to sit on the porch swing to enjoy a thunderstorm. Elizabeth and Marty even stopped by on their way to dinner to make sure everything was going well. I would recommend booking a cabin or treehouse while you can. Once the word gets out this will be a hotspot to stay. Elizabeth and Marty thanks for a great vacation and we will be coming back.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Richard F
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We recently took a short family trip to the Shawnee. The cabin was attractive and very clean. While it was still convineint to Garden of the Gods, Pounds Hollow, and Iron Furnace, it is located well away from any busy roads. The owners were friendly and accomodating and definately were committed to our comfort. The grill and fire ring were also a nice touch.

Although we didn't stay in one, the tree houses looked really cool.

We thouroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mike W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabethtown
Quality Inn
#3 of 3 in Harrisburg
River Rose Inn B&B
River Rose Inn B&B
#2 of 2 in Elizabethtown

Been to Timber Ridge Outpost & Cabins? Share your experiences!