All reviews deer run these cabins shawnee national forest southern illinois largest cabin clean cabin spent two nights ohio river gods retreat cougar hollow property
Selected filters
Reviewed September 8, 2018

Rim Rocks Dogwood Cabins Deer Run Cabin ...Dirty: Food left in Microwave. Dirt on Sham of spider webs and some kind of droppings, Kitchen had so much dust on spatula provided to cook with I could write my name in the dust,Grease in the oven from last tenant, dust thick on the curtains, chair for the table in kitchen had paper stuck in the rounds to hold it together, one of our party almost took a spill when it gave way we had to move it to the porch, loft was 3 mattress on floor with candy wraps and dust all round. Shower leaked onto the floor with mold..Grill on floor in small bath was full of hair and debris.. Dirty floor on screened in porch with 2 large spiders.. Outside grill had left over foil with food from last tenant...The grounds around the cabin hadn't been cleaned in some time. After our conversation with the Proprietors.. My thoughts were we would not be having this conversation if you had done your job and cleaned it before you put it online The proprietors said they thought we expected to much... and to think you had this cabin so highly rated online. You need to be turned into the BBB. I have pictures... There was 4 of us in this cabin, all could not believe this, and to think that we paid $165..a night ..The cemetery was at our fence line and that was the only thing that did not bother us...all of us in our party were lovers of the outdoors (nature),and its location was in the beautiful Karbers Ridge area.. What a shame!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank cclas2018
RimRocksCabins, Owner at Rim Rock's Dogwood Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2018

The management of Rim Rocks Dogwood Cabins takes valid complaints to heart and responds promptly and effectively. We were at the cabin in less than 10 minutes from the time we received notification of her dissatisfaction, which came 72+ hours after checking in and when she was going to pay her balance.
During our inspection with the guest the cabin was very clean, however, we did see a candy wrapper behind a futon on the screened-in porch, a paper towel that was left in a microwave, a pillow that had some dust on it from falling behind the bed and a spider/ spider web on the outside porch. There was also a chair that a previous guest must have tried to fix rather than letting us know that it broke… all the chairs were immediately replaced. While these things are regretful, we do not believe that constituted a demand for $170 credit, a threat of being turned over to the BBB or this harsh review. She asked for the $170 credit after our inspection, we offered her an $85 discount for her displeasure. She accepted our offer. Obviously, that did not satisfy her. If you are here reading this review, please make sure you read additional reviews and you will see that this is the exception, not the rule. We are very confident in the cleanliness of our cabins and our property.

Reviewed July 12, 2018 via mobile

Another enjoyable trip, staying in Eagles Retreat! Wonderful, unique location and pet-friendly too! Great for exploring the garden of the Gods/Shawnee Forest area or just relaxing with a book or movie.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2018

I have stayed at many cabins in my life, and I do believe Eagles Retreat was my favorite of all. Dogwood Cabins are incredibly clean and VERY well stocked. I was shocked to realize I had way over-packed. Most places do not provide you with so many comforts of home. Being so close to so many attractions was wonderful. It was one of the best family get-aways we've ever taken our kids on. I highly recommend Rim Rock's Dogwood Cabins. You won't be disappointed.

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed January 17, 2018

This cabin has everything we needed for fun and comfort. There was a grill, full kitchen, firepit, enclosed porch, games, and plenty of bunk space. They have a variety of cabin sizes. We used one that had a queen bedroom, loft with queen and three twins, a couch, a pullout bed in a couch and a queen futon on the porch if the weather works out. One and a half baths took a minor amount of planning; but we had five adults, five kids and three dogs. We like this place because it is dog friendly,kid friendly, has hiking on property and all around the area, and plenty of other farm animals for the kids to enjoy petting and feeding. The owners are very friendly and helpful as well. I will definitely be returning. My brother has been staying here for several years now and the area is building up. There is a general store within a few short miles now but large scale groceries should still probably be purchased on the way since it is relatively remote.

Room tip: The website is very descriptive. Use it to determine which cabin best meets your needs since they are all a little different.
Date of stay: November 2017
1  Thank CecilA86
Reviewed September 14, 2017

We took a mandatory vacation fleeing from Hurricane Irma out of Florida and spent 3 days camping on our journey from Sarasota, Fl. After many hours on the road and several days without the comforts of home we decide to book a long stay at Rim Rock’s Dogwood Cabins to relax and enjoy one of the most peaceful places on earth.
We choose Rim Rock’s Dogwood Cabins for a few reasons. Most importantly, at first glance was its location, literally in the middle of the main trails and sights in the Shawnee National Forrest. This allowed us to hike multiple trails per day while we were still able to return to our cabin to use the full kitchen to prepare healthy home cooked meals. The second reason we choose Rim Rock’s Dogwood Cabins was they are a pet friendly location and were happy to accept our Golden Retriever Pearl and Romeo the Labrador as guests on their amazing property.
Initially we did not realize just how unique and special these cabins were and made our choice to stay primarily for the reasons above. However, the moment we saw the front porch it was obviously this was a very thoughtfully designed luxury cabin well beyond my expectations. Tons of small details but I will try to note them all here… beautiful rustic handmade furnisher that was somehow more comfortable then what we have back home. The Cabins are each themed and very well decorated even details like lighting and appliances were thoughtfully planned. A full kitchen with stove ware made it feel like home and we are very well thanks to the grill, oven, full size freezer and on hand utensils. The full-size water heater for really long showers after hiking the trails, free chopped firewood supplied by our hosts. A very comfortable AC/Heat, tons of extra quilts and bedding for the colder nights. A screened in large back porch where we enjoyed breakfast and watched deer. We had 3 different tables at our cabin to enjoy our meals at depending on the weather. The hosts even have a nice collection of books, board games, movies, and even some amazing documentaries about the local history that we enjoyed every night of our stay. Even simple touches like live hanging plants and soft Christmas style lights hung on the porch made it feel even more peaceful and soothing. I personally would not change anything about the design and its perfect just as it is.
Though the cabin was amazing we were here to enjoy nature so I have to note without even leaving the property there is a lot to see. The hosts have 2 of the sweetest llamas Dolly and Tina who love dogs and humans both. I have never seen animals act so cute together snuggling and giving kisses our golden, Pearl, fell in love and pulled us over to the fence to visit with them each day. Additionally, they have goats, a peacock, chickens, and many other animals that really made our stay here special. Aside from the domestic animals I really enjoyed spotting deer on the property and took many long walks and bike rides on the trails. The deer in this area seem to be just as active in the day time as at night, which is different then what I have experienced in other parts of the country. I really feel there are more deer in this area then there are humans! It was not until the 3rd day of our stay that I realized the number of trails right here on the property that are quite amazing and even comparable to the public trails we enjoyed. The outside of the property is surrounded by a main trail called the “outer loop” and there are many trails that are connected to it… each of these trails had rock outcroppings, small streams and brooks and lots of green moss-covered logs and stones. I felt those trails were actually more pristine as a result of fewer travelers. I even rode my mountain bike on a few of the trails that were more level though I would recommend protective gear due to the mossy rocks and incline in some areas. My favorite part of these trails was being able to have our dogs off leash to really enjoy a special freedom they don’t have back in Florida… isolated beauty!

THANK YOU GUYS FOR A VACATION WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!

Room tip: We liked Coyote Hollow because it was located at the edge of hiking trails and a large open field, we consistently saw deer from our porch.
Date of stay: September 2017