“Happy find!”
Review of Apple River Fort

Apple River Fort
Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Elizabeth
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stumbled across this sight while looking for a restaurant. What a find! Knowledgeable staff, learned a lot about historic events that we were completely unaware of! Staff in museum/office were excellent, reenacters a tad long winded, but passionate and well informed.

2  Thank Connie D

Reviewed August 17, 2013

My image of a "fort" was borne out of my lincoln log days and TV westerns. I have seen other military forts however this was my first fort (of course the replica) built by civilians for their safety in the early 1800s. It's 50' by 70'! One of the first buildings I walked into had a door on both sides of the building which was strange in my book if you're trying to protect/defend folks. Evidently, the fort had been built around an active cabin at that time. Very interesting. We started at the interpretive center and were provided a wealth of information along with a 15 minute movie explaining about the Sauk, Blackhawk, and the settlers in the fort. The center has large placards with more information and is also a small gift shop. It's about a quarter of a mile walk/drive to the fort, part of it is an incline which is doable for children, families, and seasoned folks, like myself. The folks at the fort were in time period dress and very pleasant to talk with answering our questions as well as showing us around both in/out of the fort area.

It's an easy stop just off US 20 in the town of Elizabeth (watch the movie to find out how the town got its name). Good parking in a lot and on the street. A couple of good places to eat within a short walk from the center.

No fee however there is a small contribution box in the center. The fort was reconstructed and is maintained by volunteers.

Very clean restrooms. Stairs going down to watch video and a back entrance that we used to get to the fort.

3  Thank rvtraveller_10
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a reconstructed fort where a few people held off an attack from Indians. The original site of the fort is here, but the reconstructed one is built beside it. Be sure and visit the visitors' center/museum to learn the history of this place. Very good, educational stop on our road trip!

2  Thank kattoe
Reviewed April 22, 2013

It's definitely worth a see, especially if you have kids. It's such a small, well-structured fort that the kids really feel like they are able to role play. However, the docent there was insensitive, aggressive and verbose, so be careful that you didn't spend a half a day there listening her drone on and on about gore and violence. She wouldn't stop talking, even when we repeatedly told her we needed to go. We finally had to resort to cutting her off, to no avail. I have never seen a less considerate volunteer at any facility at any time. I doubt if they can do anything about her training, based on what I saw.

2  Thank bgandl1
Reviewed April 20, 2013

There is a nice small visitors center with a few artifacts and a nice video. It's a block or two walk to the fort, a good reproduction aside the original foundation. You can enter the buildings and climb the ladders, good for kids, even us older ones. The guides are small town friendly and knowledgeable. No fee, but a donation jar. I recommend watching the 15 minute video first. Not a destination, but great to include in a tour of the area.