“Are We Talking About the Same Place??”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Elizabeth
Marcotte's Family Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I made the mistake of reading the glowing reviews of Marcotte Family Motel and booked a room here. Upon arrival, the owners were nowhere to be found. The room reminded me of my great grandma's apartment, which always spooked me out each time I visited. Smashed bugs on the ceiling .... does anyone care to clean it? Creepy chairs, mismatched furniture - I am sure these could be beautiful antiques, but they need a lot of refurbishing! The bed was totally uncomfortable - my husband and I woke up with sore backs and necks each morning. The bathroom was pretty creepy, too. The toilet barely flushed - and the sink was insanely tiny and the layout of the washroom was very poorly designed. The door barely closed in the bathroom, as well! Usually a hotel will provide you with a small bar of soap for the washroom - there was nothing. Just two packets of shampoo that looked like ketchup packets. My husband and I were not pleased at all and wanted to leave early - that's how miserable we were! When we did leave, the owners just took the keys and said, "Thanks." The only reason why I am giving this two stars is because of the fresh coffee and muffins in the morning - this property's only saving grace.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marilynmalibu
MarcottesFamilyMotel, Owner at Marcotte's Family Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

It concerns us greatly that your stay at our lodging property was less than our normal high standards. We would have loved the opportunity to correct any problems that you encountered with your stay at that time. We do apologize if we did not ask you how your stay was at the time you turned your key in; this is usually a question we ask because we are invested in being sure our guests had a great stay, and in keeping our property in as peak of condition as we possibly can. We have stepped up our inspection process to ensure that the normal room amenities are present in each room and that our rooms are all cleaned to our normal high standards. It bruised our ego a bit to receive such a negative review but we recognize Trip Advisor not only as a tool for travelers but also as a tool for property owners to correct problems that guests write about. We apologize that at the time of your stay, things were not up to your expectations. In regards to the plumbing, we are currently checking all rooms for the slow flushing toilet and will be sure that the problem is solved. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and making us aware of your concerns. We're so glad that you did enjoy the coffee/muffin tray outside your door in the morning!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Clean, comfortable, best area price in a beautiful natural setting. A wise traveler will stay here in Elizabeth while exploring Galena, the gorgeous Jo Daviess County countryside, the Mississippi River Valley or the Driftless Area. Our room was large with queen bed, sofa, dresser, and rocking chair at window with fantastic view. TV and bathroom also. Coffee and muffins in the morning. Set on a typically gorgeous piece of land with farms around it. There is a beautiful country road alongside it for a walk. We were only going to stay one night. I stayed three not only because our car broke down near arrival, but I found what I was looking for right here! Donna and Art are great people and really took fantastic care of us in what could have been a very scary situation. I know this area well, this is an outstanding value with hosts that were as kind as friends or family. I won't ever stay anywhere else in these parts.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LBorden

We really appreciate your glowing review and hope you return again soon.
Thanks again,
Donna and Art

Reviewed March 26, 2013

These are good people who care, warmhearted and generous. Comfortable, beautiful view, a little funky, spacious. Loved the coffee and home baked muffins. Definitely grandma's place. I hope my kids will want to return. They say they love it but--It's quiet!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bgandl1
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Donna and Art are fabulous hosts! The room was very personal, unique and homey with antique furnishings. The "modern" internet connection and TV service added to the relaxing atmosphere. Add the snowy scene from the back window -- one happy guest!!!!

Room Tip: Use "US Hwy 20" in your GPS.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Joyce S
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We are season pass holders at Chestnut Mountain who prefer to stay at this lovely little motel when we can manage an overnight trip. Donna and Art are friendly and accommodating and as others have stated, this place feels like an overnight at your favorite grandma's home, complete with coffee and muffins outside your door in the morning. Don't get fooled by the old fashioned charm of the antiques, however. They have free wi-fi. Great place to stay that we recommend to all our friends who drive/ride US 20 around Galena, or who like to ski in the area.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ScubaGiggi
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was my second stay at the Marcotte's Family Motel and i can honestly say it was just as pleasant as the first time! Donna and Art are like family, always accomodating your every need. The motel has more of a bed and breakfast feel to it... every room filled with antiques and comfy quilts. Your are welcomed by the couple, followed by a cozy bon fire setting just off the main road. Delicious muffins and coffee are waiting on your door step...a kind and yummy gesture! The motel is clean and affordable with a touch of home! My fiance and I are getting married next year in Galena and we plan to rent the entire Motel for our bridal party and family!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms provide a kitchen! Only 25 minutes to Galena!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank janice1119
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We all stayed at Marcotte's Family Motel! We LOVE this place & we can't wait to visit again! Clean and comfortable rooms with reasonable prices! If you're ever in this area, you have to visit & stay here!! We recommend it highly!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Brenda-Marie W

Been to Marcotte's Family Motel? Share your experiences!