“Horrible Service!”
Review of Super 8 Elgin

Super 8 Elgin
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Elgin
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I was told not to go here and now I regret not taking the advice. I stayed here anyway because of the convenient location (just off the tollway on 31). The property itself looks in good shape but they seriously need to work on customer service in a major way.

First, we arrived about 6pm and were thankful they had rooms open since we did not have a reservation. Then it all went downhill from there. The clerk never quoted us a price on a room, simply started ringing it up, he never told us of any amenities (except breakfast) and we had to ask him how much the room was. He then gave us our room card and as we tried to open the door to our room, we heard someone coughing inside the door. We stopped, listened again and could hear that someone was already in the room. We went back to the clerk and told him someone was already in this room and ... get this..the clerk started to argue saying that it wasn't rented out and nobody should be in there and he re-coded the card. After we insisted he check it out himself, he knocked on the door, and much to his surprise...someone answered. He simply muttered "sorry about that" to us and gave us a new room.

The room itself wasn't bad, typical for a Super 8 and actually a bit bigger than normal and I will say that it was pretty clean. We went out for the evening and came back and I called the front desk to ask for a wake-up call. It was after shift change so it was a different employee and he said he had us down for the wake-up call which we never got. Thankfully I happened to wake up on my own and notice that it was time to go, the phone never did ring. I also noticed that as I slept, one edge of the fitted sheet came loose and revealed the mattress which had a large yellow stain on the edge. I was very glad to check out of this place and will never come back again. I would recommend the Quality Inn across the street or the Holiday Inn..or even the local truck stop for that matter.

• Stayed: January 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank medic_guy
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Elgin

Reviewed September 30, 2007

We were reluctant to stay in this hotel (no reviews here, and generally this chain has a poor reputation). We were pleasantly surprised! We needed somewhere to crash for an early-bird flight from O'Hare and the price suited us ($75 vs $189 we paid elsewhere recently). The room; bathroom; and linens were all clean and in good condition. There was an inroom coffee maker; TV; fridge; and microwave. Free parking and inroom wifi too. They even have complimentary continental breakfast - no, not prepacked pastries - but real cereal; toast; bagels; fresh waffles; yogurt; etc.
This is not somewhere we would stay for luxury or a romantic get-away (the price & location make that obvious!) However, we WILL stay here again when we have an early flight

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank JimJam_LippyCow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 8 in Elgin
Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin
Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Chicago Northwest
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elgin
Comfort Suites Elgin
TownePlace Suites Chicago Elgin/West Dundee

Been to Super 8 Elgin? Share your experiences!