“Never witnessed this before”

Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Elgin
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This just seemed strange (and certainly not very customer-friendly): was in the lobby of this establishment when a customer was checking out. He was told that it was the middle of a shift change and would need to wait 5-10 minutes in order to do so. What is this about? On my report card, this incident alone leads to a comment of "needs improvement".

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank James E
HamptonInnElgin, General Manager at Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

On behalf of the Hampton Inn Elgin, kindly accept our sincere apologies for not giving you the high standard of hospitality which is the general norm of our hotel. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you because of this. Our management team has followed up with our staff members on this specific situation and have put additional measures in place to assure this will not reoccur for you or any other guest. We take your review very seriously and would like to again offer our deepest apology.

We strive to ensure our guests experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. We reassure you will see improvement and enjoy a more positive association with our hotel in the future.

Jason Dusenberry

Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stayed here with my husband. We had a king bed/non smoking for one night when we were traveling. It's convenient for those traveling to Chicago but don't want to stay in the city.

The room: it was clean, roomy and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small, but okay and it was clean. We had plenty of hot water. We were in the last room on the floor and close to the stairs and outside door. I thought this would be a noise problem but we didn't hear a peep all night. ***Note...we stayed in another Hampton Inn the next night, out in the middle of Ohio where you'd think it would be really quiet...not!

Service: since everything went well I don't have much too say except...good job. The desk clerk recommended a restaurant that turned out to be pretty good except for a really long wait for a table. So the staff is helpful. And no surprises with the bill.

Breakfast: I guess I was a little disappointed. I've never stayed at a Hampton Inn before and was told the breakfast was better than the Comfort Inn. I didn't think so. It was no better or worse. The cheese omlettes were too cheesy and the hot foods could have been...well...hotter.

I didn't visit the pool or hot tub or exercise room, so no comment.

Overall, based on spending two nights in two different Hampton Inns, I think I'll stick with the Comfort Inn as I can get a lower price per night for basically the same thing.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dana21108
HamptonInnElgin, General Manager at Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Thank you for your recent review on the Hampton Inn Elgin. We appreciate your business and are glad you enjoyed your stay. I wanted to address the concerns you had with our breakfast during your stay. We always offer three hot items each morning and each day different hot items are made. We hope that in the future you will find other breakfast items like our biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, western omelets, French toast, or any other of our many items to your liking. We sincerely hope that you will stay at another Hampton Inn to give us another try.
Hampton Inn Elgin Management

Reviewed May 5, 2012

The hotel is very well located and is offering nice, large and clean rooms and a simple breakfast + free tea and coffee all day long, and sometimes cookies... and fruites...
Very friendly and professional staff...
No annoying cash grabs (free parking and free wifi).
The only thing that I would say as a drawback, is the number of tables available for the breakfast, which in the morning rush hour could be little bit frustrating.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HamptonInnElgin, General Manager at Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Thank you for you warm response on your recent stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again at the Hampton Inn Elgin. We also understand the space limitations with our breakfast seating and hope to find better ways to resolve this issue in the future.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Hampton Inn Elgin is conveniently located next to a freeway exit and has ample parking. Check-in and check-out were friendly, fast, and efficient. The room was basic but clean and comfortable. Complimentary hot breakfast. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
HamptonInnElgin, General Manager at Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our location. Hope to see you again!

Hampton Inn Management

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We came here for a conference in April 2012 and the hotel was completely booked. The staff did an excellent job of keeping the free continental breakfast stocked and they had a wide range of food available. They passed around cookies and boxes of mints everyday and the coffee urns were always full. They were very friendly as well.
The rooms were very comfortable and clean. Not spacious, but not tight either. The king rooms had refrigerators, but the double queens did not.
The only cons were that my phone did not connect me to the front desk, the free wifi was weak and slow, and that they ran out of hot water often. One morning there was no hot water after 7am because their hot water heater broke, but they fixed it that day and we all could shower by evening. However, the water the next morning was still continually growing cooler - but that was the only issue they had with serving a full house.
I would definitely return for a stay - its a great Hampton Inn!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HamptonInnElgin, General Manager at Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thank you for your recent comments on your stay with us at the Hampton Inn Elgin. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and would also like to offer our sincere apologies for the issues which you did run into. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you because of this.

We strive to ensure our guests experience the best visits possible during their travels. Please come back and visit us next year! We reassure you will see improvement with the hot water issues complimentary wireless internet and enjoy a more positive association with our hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Clean, quiet, friendly, especially the gals that work the breakfast spread.

Had a problem with the refrigerator in my room, and the manager replaced it with a new one, plus left a personalized note and gift in the frige!

Excercise room is clean and well maintained.

My only complaint is the local tolls!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
HamptonInnElgin, General Manager at Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

We appreciate your response and are very happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

I travel quite a bit and stay at Hamptons quite a bit as well. Typically pretty good value for the price and I know what I'm getting. This HI was one of the worst I've experienced. They had the wrong room type for me at check in. Front desk girl was a bit lost but she fixed that. Problem was they gave me a room that they must not have been prepared to provide. It was dirty and very cold. Overlooked that but when I was getting ready the next morning, another occupant unlocked the door and started to come in the room! I'm glad I was already showered and dressed (more for her sake than mine). Not a good stay overall.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank MattArmb9
HamptonInnElgin, Manager at Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2012

Jason Dusenberry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Chicago Northwest
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Elgin, IL
Comfort Suites Elgin
Candlewood Suites Elgin - Northwest Chicago
Courtyard Chicago Elgin/West Dundee
TownePlace Suites Chicago Elgin/West Dundee

Been to Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin? Share your experiences!