“Mr. Tequila's great atmosphere”
Review of Mr. Tequila's - CLOSED

Mr. Tequila's
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I liked the friendly staff and good variety of draft beers. The servers were attentive. I enjoyed that the building was repurposed from a JC Penney. I will return at my first opportunity to try the food which I hear is outstanding.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We booked the upstairs area of the restaurant for our high school class reunion, meet and greet first night. The atmosphere was wonderful. Food and drink extraordinary! This is a family owned, local, small business. The pride of ownership showed in all that was happening that night. If you haven't been to Elgin in a few years - GET THERE! We took a walking tour earlier in the day. Everything is sparkling and new. My friend and I who grew up in Elgin were SO tickled! We tried to find a piece of trash and couldn't. The whole historic downtown was was blooming with little pocket parks and historic buildings! Back to Mr. Tequilas: if I lived in the area this would be a frequent destination!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Stopped in with some friends for a drink, terrible service. They brought chips to the table for us, and then charged us for them! We told them we didnt order them and they said we ate them so we had to pay. Really wasn't about the $4, so I paid it, and will never go back again. Too bad, so much potential. :(

1  Thank Aaronstanski
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The food was good - the menu is more of an American-Mexican fusion. I loved the guacamole made fresh at table side. Large, open restaurant. I would like to return at night for drinks.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I came with a friend of mine just to take in the downtown environment and check out this place since it just opened up. It has a very awesome spacious area of seating, and section for people to enjoy some dancing, a nice full bar with TV showing recent news, sports and anything else you would like to watch. AND THAT'S JUST THE MAIN FLOOR! This place has second level which also has a full bar and seating as well.

We were greeted with smiles and was sat immediately. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu, the specials for the day, both food and drinks, and also gave her personal recommendations.

We had complimentary chips and salsa we ordered some guacamole to go with our chips and another staff member came by with a cart and made it fresh right there in front of us. I was very impressed, she asked if we wanted to our guacamole made a particular way. We got to customize the flavor to fit our mood. I loved this!

We ordered Sopes and also a Tacos Ahogados (a specialty platter). You get very good portions of food with your order. Which makes this place a shoe in for those big groups that want a nice place to take in some authentic mexican cuisines. The food was amazing!

Tip: Please be aware that if you do ask for guacamole, the restaurant staff member that makes your fresh batch get tips separately from your waiter. So please be mindful of that as you enjoy your evening. She definitely earned my tip! I wanted to take some extra home.

There is a huge value here, being in an active downtown area. This place has great portions of food for the price you pay. And the drinks specials also equally as great! Try the Original Margarita or the Mango Margarita. Both are huge in size and also a great buy!

I am a Resident Recommended Ambassador for the Elgin Area.

#ResidentRec