“A Great Long-Term Stay”

Candlewood Suites Elgin - Northwest Chicago
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Elgin
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Life circumstances required me to make a long-term stay at this hotel. The GM treated me with great kindness, the staff was exceptional to me every day for years. I really valued my time at Candlewood Suites and definitely recommend it to people looking for an alternative to apartment living. The rates are reasonable, they do housekeeping weekly, the Cupboard is handy. Great proximity to I-90 and easy access to Randall Road. Location was wonderful - close to shopping and restaurants. The layout of the rooms was exceptional with a wonderful kitchen, large bathroom and very comfortable king-sized bed. I was happy there.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor, treat it like an apartment and not a hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ava113

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for a few days while he attended a workshop. This seems to be a newer hotel or at least very well cared for. We had a studio type room that faced south and a king sized bed. Hotel staff was friendly and everyone was very accommodating. I have to take a star off for not having housekeeping daily, but we adapted with no problem. They do have a store here if you need anything and while the prices seem reasonable I would choose either the Walmart or target done the road. The fridge and the microwave were clean and I wasn't scared to store food in them. For the shoppers: There's a nice shopping center a few miles down the road both north and south of here.

Room Tip: I would choose a high floor, but I do in every hotel room I stay in.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Joey K
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Hotel is clean and friendly staff. My only criticism is the upkeep of the grounds. Weeds and more weeds. Flowers and shrubs in need of water. Cigarette butts all over the patio area and the grills are badly in need of cleaning.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandra E
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Would be a wonderful place for business extended stays. Nice kitchens with dishwasher. Large closet and bathroom. Comfortable bed. If you forget anything like a comb, toothbrush, toothpaste or razor don't expect complimentary replacements. You must purchase them from the lobby "store".

Room Tip: Choose an upper room. Guests walking across the room on upper floors can be heard loudly on lower f...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mepo_Chris
Reviewed January 28, 2012

As a regular visitor to the Elgin IL area for business, this hotel has always provided excellent accommodations. It is a newer hotel, so it doesn't have that "well worn" feeling or cheap renovation atmosphere.

These comments only relate to the less expensive "studio" and "extended" suites and not the larger "1 Bedroom" suite

The room appointments are very good. Comfortable beds, clean bathroom, full size refrigerator with ice maker, stove top and decent microwave, cooking/dining requirements supplied, kitchen sink, dishwasher, large built in closet, quality flat screen TV with DVD player and good air conditioning. The window also opens for fresh air!

Wired or wireless internet is available in all rooms and has always worked very well.

The location is really convenient, just off I-90 at Randall Rd exit. It sometimes doesn't appear on MapQuest for whatever reason, but is seen on any GPS with current maps. Traffic noise from I-90 is not too noticeable in rooms on the highway side, even with the window open. It does seem to vary depending on wind direction. The rooms facing away from I-90 have no noise problems (except maybe for trash collection day - those trucks are never quiet).

As with all rooms with a "self contained" kitchen, it is advisable to wash dishes, cookware etc. before use. I haven't seen any problems during my numerous stays - but just because something looks clean doesn't mean it IS clean. Dish washing needs are supplied for hand wash or dishwasher for peace of mind.

The work desk in the king room is a good size, but the queen/double room desk is a little larger and feels more comfortable.

Top (3rd) floor rooms are obviously quieter then 2nd or 1st floor rooms. The lower floors are usually good, but if there is an elephant in the room above you they are not so good.

If you do not need the "accessible" bathroom, do not request it. They seem to be roomy enough with plenty of hand rails for those with a wheelchair or mobility issues, but there is a lot less surface area around the bathroom sink for your toiletries.

The location is not bad for access, but poor for nearby dining or amenitites. You do need to have a car available to get here and anywhere near here. There are no dining opportunities or shopping access within walking distance. There is a 7-Eleven nearby, and some excellent dining further along Randall Road (Tilted Kilt is located nearby). There are also major supermarkets/department stores in the area (eg. Meijer, Walmart) but these are about 5 minutes away on Randall Road. There is also shopping malls along Randall Road.

For extended stays or just an overnight stop, this is a very good choice for comfort and value for money.

Room Tip: The rooms facing away from I-90 are generally quieter, though not too much noise carries from I-90 m...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank michiglen
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Friendly staff, clean rooms, and very comfy beds. Stayed on the lower level and people above me were very loud. Recommend staying on top floor. Some dishes in kitchenette were dirty.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank dustinkrall
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I read all these great reviews on here that deemed this hotel #2 in the area and went ahead and booked for myself and my boyfriend. Granted, there isn't much in Elgin to begin with, so I figured our options were limited, but Candlewood looks really nice on the outside. I was totally disappointed. The price is definitely the best part. The room surprisingly smelled of stale old cigarrettes (even though its a non-smoking hotel) and moldy furniture. We kept the window open all night long. Perhaps it was just the room we were in, but it was so bad that I couldn't sleep and we decided to check out a day early. I noticed that there was a welcome bag of popcorn to be made in the microwave, so I was hoping to make popcorn, just to make the room smell better, and the popcorn bag looked and smelled old and moldy. I expected a lot better from Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hollyverona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Chicago Northwest
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elgin
Comfort Suites Elgin
Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 8 in Elgin
Courtyard Chicago Elgin/West Dundee

Been to Candlewood Suites Elgin - Northwest Chicago? Share your experiences!