“Clean rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Elgin
MN
“Clean rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Friendly staff, clean rooms, and very comfy beds. Stayed on the lower level and people above me were very loud. Recommend staying on top floor. Some dishes in kitchenette were dirty.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank dustinkrall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Stamford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I read all these great reviews on here that deemed this hotel #2 in the area and went ahead and booked for myself and my boyfriend. Granted, there isn't much in Elgin to begin with, so I figured our options were limited, but Candlewood looks really nice on the outside. I was totally disappointed. The price is definitely the best part. The room surprisingly smelled of stale old cigarrettes (even though its a non-smoking hotel) and moldy furniture. We kept the window open all night long. Perhaps it was just the room we were in, but it was so bad that I couldn't sleep and we decided to check out a day early. I noticed that there was a welcome bag of popcorn to be made in the microwave, so I was hoping to make popcorn, just to make the room smell better, and the popcorn bag looked and smelled old and moldy. I expected a lot better from Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank hollyverona
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

The girl at the desk told me the hotel is one year old, so everything was new and fresh. The room was very comfortable. She gave us a handicapped-friendly room, so there was even more space in the bathroom; I think my wife would have preferred a regular room.

The business model of this hotel is an extended-stay room, so there's a small but fully equipped kitchen. (There was a little bottle of dish-washing liquid, real plates & cutlery, as well as pots and pans.) This would be great for people with children. We used the microwave to warm up our leftovers from the previous night's dinner (for breakfast); the portions served in US restaurants are absurd. For us, the hotel was a pleasant surprise.

The hotel was a bit difficult to find, mainly because it is not located where all the web-sites say it is. It is farther back from the main road. Again, the girl at the desk said management has been trying to update g**gle-maps information. Flip-side is that road/highway noise was not an issue.

The air-conditioner has an auto-control system that works well, but was a bit user-unfriendly. Most people probably will end up putting the thing on with a fixed fan-speed and then listen to the noise all night long. The fan noise was the only real negative thing I can point to about the hotel (besides the difficulty in finding it). Some might say that helps them sleep...

Most important, they had excellent pillows, as well as an extra set with different characteristics. Also we liked the bed sheets. Very clean & comfortable.

Room Tip: Extended-Stay, perfect for couples w/ sm kids
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed at this hotel a number of times over six months. The rooms are nice, the place is very clean, the food shop is well-stocked. The staff was very nice and helpful. i highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed at candlewood while on a cross-country road trip to move out west. Hotel is located very close to I-90 which was important. Room was very clean, bed.was comfy and felt comfortable about leaving car I'm parking lot. Front desk was friendly and helpful also.

• Stayed June 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Our 3-night stay at the Candlewood Suites in Elgin was great. From my understanding, the hotel has only been open for about a year. The room and hotel in general were exceptionally clean. The staff was very friendly. They even have free (yes I said free) on-site laundry for their guests! Had we stayed longer, I would have definitely taken advantage of that. My only complaint is that the refrigerator in our room was noisy. If I'm ever in the area again, I'll stay at the Candlewood.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed here for 2 weeks over Christmas. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. The entire staff, but especially Alisa, went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. Our ice maker didn't work so they brought us ice several times. The room was very spacious & clean. They have a full size frig, sink, two burner stove, microwave & even a dishwasher. They have dishes & pots & pans. I liked it because we didn't have to go out for every meal. The bed was very comfortable & the bathroom was a nice size. The location was perfect for us, since all our family is on the west side of Elgin. It was a little tricky to find the first time. They also have a nice fitness room & a free laundry. they do have a small pantry type store & free coffee. I used their computer in the lobby before we left to print boarding passes & a couple last minute needs. I needed a couple of envelopes & stamps, which I offered to pay for, but they just gave them to me. They also had free wifi in the rooms. We will definitely stay there next year when we go back for Christmas.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elgin
Quality Inn
#5 of 8 in Elgin
4.0 of 5 stars 90 reviews
TownePlace Suites Chicago Elgin/West Dundee

Been to Candlewood Suites Elgin - Northwest Chicago? Share your experiences!