Baymont Inn & Suites Effingham
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Effingham
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed there one night, in July, and chose this hotel because we had to make a long drive from Mississipi to Chicago and so it was conveniently located. First we were a little bit disappointed, when we arrived, because we needed to relax, maybe find a good restaurant nearby, and certainly have a good night sleep... All what we saw was a hotel facing the Interstate, lots of trucks, lots of road works, and no sight of any restaurant.
But as soon as we checked in, we knew we were going to like this place. The man at the front desk was really very nice and professional. He gave us the kind of room we asked for: first floor, and facing the Interstate (sounds silly after such a long drive, but in fact, we love to drive, and love the view of highways!). The room was very clean and pretty, and we heard no noise at all from the rooms upstairs (it's a two-floor hotel). The noise from the Interstate was very tolerable - not at all a disturbance. The first-floor rooms have two doors: one going to the parking lot where you can park your car just in front of your room, and a second door going into an interior corridor (for the ice and vending machines). There are chairs in front of each room, outside, so it was nice to sit there and relax. Several workers were sitting there too, chatting and having some drinks. But they made no noise and that was not at all a disturbance.
The outdoor pool is located at the end of the building, with wild bushes behind it, so it's not very "fancy", with a couple of leaves and dead bees in the water... Oh well, it's nature, we didn't mind and enjoyed the pool very much ! Very calm, very relaxing. Had the visit of a stray cat who seems in fact to live there, at the hotel.. .Was very friendly with people, so as we love animals, that was like a bonus - he was like a four-legged ambassador to make sure we would enjoy our stay !
There is a sport bar which serves food also, adjacent to the hotel. We went there for a beer and found it was a very nice place - the people there were families, truck drivers, workers, tourists... Interesting conversations ! We finally ordered some mozzarella sticks - the woman at the bar was really friendly and also very fast. The food was very good.
So we would come back in this hotel with no hesitation , it was a very relaxing atmosphere, beautiful , comfortable room, and friendly people.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank CathyAnne
BW_Raintree_Inn, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor and also thank you for staying with us. Your positive words are very much appreciated and we want to thank you for sharing your experience. We hope to see you again!

Kristen Hodge
Best Western Raintree Inn

Reviewed August 19, 2011

I've stopped here three times on my way back and forth between Mo and MI and have always been happy with it. It's not a luxury resort- It's a well located, friendly, very clean, interstate hotel. As long as you keep your expectations in check, you'll be ok. At $60 a night, it's a great "just-need-a-place-to-sleep" type stop. They are also pet friendly for larger dogs, which can be hard too find.

Also, I really like the Raintree Restaurant next door. The walleye special is always good and they're open late.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EP_AlwaysOnTheGo
Reviewed July 15, 2011

The value for this room was amazing. I was concerned about the noise level because of other reviews but to be honest when you shut the door to the room we could not even hear the noise from the highway (and our room faced the highway). Even in the pool the noise level was low. The room was very clean and I would definitely stay there again. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. King bed was very comfortable too.

Room Tip: Call hotel for pricing
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smiffy1210
Reviewed June 25, 2011

After a full day of travel, I was ready to settle down for the night.

The day had gone smooth, I didn't really want to quit. I "turned down" one lodging exit after another. Finally, I took the exit right after the 198 foot Effingham Cross, going into Effingham, Illinois.

I turned left on Fayette Avenue, passed a gas station and continued toward the Best Western Raintree Inn lobby parking area.

I passed the hotel's restaurant, displaying their specials that night.

Finally, I pulled into the parking lot, parked my car, and got out. Kids laughed and shouted in pleasure as they splashed around in the hotel pool. I grabbed my assault pack and my laptop bag, with their contents, then walked toward the lobby.

A red carpet, with flower patterns, flowed from the wall on my left towards the breakfast station. The tiled floor showed signs of a recent moping. Dark green to dark carpets took up the right side of the entrance. A green chair, with a side table, stood to my right, and a sofa/side table pair stood to the left. The Business suite sat on the corner to the right, and the "living area" for the breakfast bar sat to the left.

I walked up to the reception counter. Its marble looking counter reflected the lights, as well as the items sitting on it. An fruit stand, with 8 to 10 apples stood toward my left.

I caught the receptionist in the middle of a task. She stopped, walked to the receptionist center, and asked me how she could help me.

I asked her if they had rooms available. She replied, "Yes," and asked me for what I was looking for. I replied, "Nonsmoking, one person." She signed me into my room, charged my keys, then gave me details about the restaurant that I just passed.

I signed the guest receipt, grabbed my keys, and walked toward my room.

I opened the glass doors leading into the building containing the rooms. I walked up the green stairs, and turned left toward my room. I pushed the key into the slot, waited for the green light to flash, pushed the handle down, then pushed the door in.

A small hallway ran into the room.

The bathroom stood to my left. The toilet, bathtub and shower areas were separated from the sink and closet area by a wall and door. The closet had an ironing board, and hangers. The sink counter had granite like appearance, items sitting on the counter casted their reflection "within" the counter. Wash towels hung from a rack near the sink.

A maroon carpet ran from wall to wall, blue curtains covered the window on the other side of the bedroom. The door leading to the outside patio stood near the window.

I flicked the hallway switch on. A dark wood, tree ring pattern dresser stood by the wall on the right. It carried a TV, coffee station, and phone… their reflections hung below them "under" the dresser's surface. A plastic garbage bin, with garbage plastic, stood by the wooden dresser… it's reflection inside the wooden dresser stood right next to it.

Two beds stood to my left. A round table, with Best Western, Effingham Illinois information, sat near the window. Two maroon chairs flanked this table. The table's glossy surface reflected the light coming in from the curtains. The air conditioning unit hung on the wall behind the table, and under the curtains.

I ran to the nightstand between the two beds, and turned the lamps on. The nightstand held a radio clock, a remote control and a placard listing the different TV channels. The hotel staff left a customer survey form right next to the placard.

Each bed had three pillows, standing on their sides, two in the back, one in the front. These pillows leaned against the headboard. Paintings of rolling landscapes, with mountain backdrops, hung over each bed's headboard.

I rested my assault pack and laptop bag on the bed, then went back downstairs to get the bags I'll need to do my hygiene and clothing change.

I got situated in my room, then ran down to the lobby. I asked the receptionist where the Chinese Restaurant was. She told me about the China Buffet. All one had to do was to go back out on W Fayette Avenue, and head east. They had a sign marking their location.

You have to pay before being seated at the China Buffett.

They tried to seat me right next to a large group of travelers. I continued to a booth near the wall, on the other side of the enclosure, and sat down. The server came over, filled my glass with water.

That evening, China Buffet had the fake lobster, fake crab, mussels, clams, barbeque beef, stir fry vegetables, rice, etc. for the main course. They had watermelon slices, cantaloupe slices, pudding, Jell-O, cookies, brownies, etc. for desert.

After finishing dinner, I placed a tip on the table and left. The server saw me do that, showed gratitude in his eyes, and said, "Thank you!"

I went back to Best Western and Raintree Inn, got into my room. I set my laptop up, and got onto Best Western's high speed internet. My internet search went smooth. I accessed websites with no problems, and quickly submitted new messages.

I powered my laptop down, and put it back in my laptop bag, when I was ready to sleep.

That following day, I got up and got ready. Items in the bathroom functioned the way they were supposed to function. I got out of the shower, got ready, then walked into the patio.

The sun already started its day, temperatures where in the 60s. The sun's rays bathed the parking lot's tree with its light, then flooded the parking lot and the cars.

I rounded my belongings up, brought them downstairs, and loaded them into my car.

I went back to the room, double checked to make sure that I didn't leave anything, then went to the breakfast room.

I reached for the batter, and poured it into a waffle machine. While the waffle cooked, I grabbed a bowl, filled it with frosted flacks, and poured some milk. I grabbed a hardboiled egg and placed it in a small saucer.

I went over to a table and placed my breakfast on it… then watched TV with the other guests. That morning's receptionist came out with a rag, and wiped the tables down. After eating, I explored the hall on the other side of the lobby. The business suite sat at the corner, and the bathrooms were located down the hall.

I came back around to the lobby and checked out.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank thebesig
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Room was small but adequate. Bathroom was very small. BUT clean. We had a room on the front of the inn which faced a highway. Road noise was bothersome but not insurmountable. Next door restaurant was very mediocre. Would not recommend eating there. Inn offered comp. bk., but we didn't take them up on it. Several truck drivers stayed there parking their trucks on the premises. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: DOn't stay in front of the inn.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank rgrcpa
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed here for one night on our way to Texas from Wisconisn. I had stayed at this hotel approx 12 years earlier and had made a good impression on me back then so I decided to try it again. I was glad I did. Price was right (triple A discount). Clean rooms, great front desk service and even better free breakfast in the morning. Number of eating places around to choose from as well.. Easy on and off the Interstate made this place especailly convenient. Beds were very comfortable as were the pillows. I will definatley come back.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank aguilara01
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We were traveling through Illinois and chose this hotel because we are usually very
pleased with Best Western hotels. The room was ok- it was clean. The shower head
was very nice. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple