“Im so stoked! I have been driving for...”
Review of firefly grill

firefly grill
Reserve with OpenTable
firefly grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 62 Restaurants in Effingham
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Keller Drive
Description: Firefly Grill is a modern roadhouse restaurant located on the shores of Kristie Lake. Chef Niall Campbell and his wife Kristie own and operate this oasis of American fresh cuisine in the heart of the Midwest. Firefly's menu changes daily and boasts fresh seafood, oak fired steaks and brick oven pizzas. Firefly uses local ingredients whenever possible and fresh herbs and vegetables straight from their very own garden! Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian & All Special Diets - because we make our food to order, many of our offerings can accommodate multiple dietary considerations. Please alert your server and they will guide you to a special choice while ensuring our Chefs take extra care with your dishes.
“Im so stoked! I have been driving for...”
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Im so stoked! I have been driving for days (Cali headed to dc) and have been trying to find local establiments. So far, Ive found a few but none were great. However, this stumble was great. They had a billboard but it wasn't easy to find; off 70 e turn left and then left after the steak n shake between it and the starbucks.

On to the food!
The soup choices were all tempting. I went with curry coconut. It was very rich and full flavored. Next was my ribeye. I was the last diner of the night so my med rare came up quick and went down even quicker.

Overall great experience and I would definetly go back if I head on 70 xc again.

Indiana
“A must-stop if you're nearby”
Reviewed December 21, 2009

You wouldn't necessarily expect to find a high-end dining experience in sleepy Effingham, IL ... but here it is. Try the Firefly Garden mixed green salad and the elk ribeye with blueberry compote - so very tasty. You'll be amazed at the portion sizes and leave very, very happy.

Salem, New Hampshire
“Fresh Foods, Creative Menu”
Reviewed December 19, 2009

When we make long road trips, we try to find places to eat that are not the typical chain restaurants. It's not always easy, because they advertise on billboards and highway signs, you get off the highway and these copycat restaurants are "right there." But today, we got very lucky and found a locally owned restaurant that focues on seasonal, sustainable, and locally grown foods. They make all their own breads, sauces, soups, chips, ice creams and desserts. Hubby ordered a cup of the beef and barley soup and a grilled flank steak sandwich and I requested the "steak of the day" special that came with a salad and a mushroom demi glaze. I resisted the temptation to order the Firefly Souffle Chocolate Lava Cake with house-made coffee ice cream. I almost regret not caving....

The soup arrived and we knew we were in for a treat - it was delicious, full of beef and al dente barley with an extremely well-seasoned broth. By this time, I figured out that all the breads were homemade, so I asked for some bread for the table. Our waiter, Jordan, delivered a half loaf of crusty, delicious French bread. We shared it, although I wanted to stick hubby with a knife when he grabbed a big hunk...LOL

It took a few extra minutes for our main courses to arrive - I'm assuming that cooking fresh foods just takes a bit longer. My steak came as two small sirloin medallions cooked to perfection, surrounded by the demi glaze, and accompanied by a small salad tossed with a very light homemade blue cheese dressing. Hubby's sandwich came on a homemade baguette with homemade potato chips. Both steaks had a hint of smokiness from being cooked on oak. Actually, we got a whiff of what was to come when we got out of the car and walked to the front door of the restaurant. That smoky greeting was a clue to what lie inside for us.

The service was good, the iced tea tasted like a high quality fresh brew, and the atmosphere inside was light and airy, with holiday music adding to the pleasantries. Prices were reasonable - lunch items ranging from a $6 soup, salad and bread combo to $12.95 for the steak lunch that I thoroughly enjoyed. They change the menu every day and have daily specials posted on a board. The dinner menu reflects the chef's heritage - he is from Maine - and there are several yummy-sounding seafood entrees such as fresh Maine Lobster with English Pea Risotto and Grilled Swordfish with Pineapple Cranberry Chutne over Brown Rice.

We will be back, and I will cave. Next time I'm ordering dessert!

San Antonio, Texas
“Great food and service”
Reviewed December 14, 2009

Our old navy unit met here last night for dinner. We were very impressed with the meal and service. Oh and the drinks were great too! We have plans to meet here again it - loved it!

usa
“Tasty”
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Great menu selection; friendly service. Lovely Outdoor seating. Great location, in town, but away from the main drag. A really pleasant surprise.