“Very good and well worth a visit”
Review of firefly grill

firefly grill
Reserve with OpenTable
firefly grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 63 Restaurants in Effingham
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Keller Drive
Description: Firefly Grill is a modern roadhouse restaurant located on the shores of Kristie Lake. Chef Niall Campbell and his wife Kristie own and operate this oasis of American fresh cuisine in the heart of the Midwest. Firefly's menu changes daily and boasts fresh seafood, oak fired steaks and brick oven pizzas. Firefly uses local ingredients whenever possible and fresh herbs and vegetables straight from their very own garden! Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian & All Special Diets - because we make our food to order, many of our offerings can accommodate multiple dietary considerations. Please alert your server and they will guide you to a special choice while ensuring our Chefs take extra care with your dishes.
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I travel on business frequently and eat my share of mediocre road food. I was staying at the Hampton just down the road from the Firefly Grill so I thought I would give it a try

It's light and airy with wood dining tables with the "Boos" label. It was pretty quiet early on a Tuesday evening. My server took my drink order promptly and was very patient and answered all my questions while I decided on my meal.

I choose the Onion ring appetizer which I really liked. The onions are sweet, not too thick and covered in a light but crispy breading. The onion is the star of this show, not the breading. It was served with 3 dipping sauces, Ranch, Honey Mustard and Ketchup. The Honey Mustard was good, but I could have drunk a quart of the Ranch dressing which had a slightly different taste then most Ranch dressings, I think it may have been dill. All were a good compliment to the onions.

Next I had a small garden salad with Ranch dressing. A nice mix of greens very fresh as if picked out of the back lot. Loved the taste and texture and served on a chilled plate.

For my main course I decided on the Portabella Mushroom and Goat Cheese pizza. A great blend of flavors, the edge of the crust had a slight taste of garlic, and the meaty mushrooms and tangy goat cheese made a great taste combination.

The prices are a little high for the area but I think that's because the ingredients are so fresh.

I was too full for desert but I really enjoyed my meal and will be back. There were several items on the menu which I would like to try.

There are newer reviews for firefly grill

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were spending the night at a local hotel and needed to get a meal for our room so we could keep our dog company. We called the Firefly and ordered a wood fired pizza and a salad. Both were fantastic; the salad was especially creative, consisting of ingredients grown right there. I can't verify that the restaurant itself is great but if the food is anywhere near as good as our carryout, I can't imagine you could go wrong.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I went to the Firefly for dinner while traveling on business. The building, grounds and decor were very neat, clean and attractive; industrial contemporary.My server Brittany got me a quiet table and I had my drink promptly. The specialty house salad was a bit expensive but delicious and worth the extra cost, their home made bread was delicious and herbed olive oil was included I felt like a steak and since they were out of their "special" rib-eye I got the "prime hanging steak"; this was suppose to be prime tenderloin but to my taste was more like low choice tail cut of the tenderloin. The taste was non existent due to lack of marbling and I would guess aging and it was tough. I mentioned this to Brittany but got no response Maybe I just got a bad cut but for the price this shouldn't happen. I'm not sure I would return.

1  Thank george29938
Jamie P, Public Relations Manager at firefly grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Hi

We are very sorry to hear about your experience at firefly. Is there something something we could do to help with your "undecided" experience?

Jamie

Reviewed June 12, 2014

The Firefly Grill was a short walk from the Hampton Inn where we spent the night. What a great find so close to our hotel. The food, service and atmosphere were all outstanding. The Firefly is a bit more costly than we are used to paying on the road, but you get what you pay for in this case. We enjoyed the freshest tasting salads we have ever been served. The appetizer, main courses, and dessert all magnificent.

Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

You HAVE to stop here and check it out! Amazing food, great service, beautiful atmosphere! And you can go feed koi fish while you wait for your food!!!! Not to mention the meals are made with plenty of herbs from their on-site garden