“Great dining in a small town!”
Review of firefly grill

firefly grill
Reserve with OpenTable
firefly grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 64 Restaurants in Effingham
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Keller Drive
Description: Firefly Grill is a modern roadhouse restaurant located on the shores of Kristie Lake. Chef Niall Campbell and his wife Kristie own and operate this oasis of American fresh cuisine in the heart of the Midwest. Firefly's menu changes daily and boasts fresh seafood, oak fired steaks and brick oven pizzas. Firefly uses local ingredients whenever possible and fresh herbs and vegetables straight from their very own garden! Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian & All Special Diets - because we make our food to order, many of our offerings can accommodate multiple dietary considerations. Please alert your server and they will guide you to a special choice while ensuring our Chefs take extra care with your dishes.
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We dined at the Firefly Grill while in Effingham for the FunFest weekend! The restaurant was suggested to us by the tourist information centre and although reluctant we were very impressed! The food quality was fantastic and everything was delicious and very fresh at a reasonable price! To our surprise we also found Australian Lamb on the menu which was delicious and by far the best dining experience we had in regional US! They also had many other fresh local & imported ingredients on the menu at a very reasonable price! Would definately dine here again!

NYPR22, General Manager at firefly grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you so much for your compliments! We are so happy that you enjoyed the quality of our food, especially the Australian Lamb! We will definitely share your comments with our kitchen staff – they will be delighted! Please come back and see us again soon! Sincerely, Cara Milewski, General Manager.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Main complaint, they do not allow substitutions. I did not like two of the items that came with my 34.00 entree. They would not substitute something else I would have preferred. Of course I could have paid more for ala carte but did not feel I should have to do so for the price. Most places 34.00 would have bought a salad, entree and vegetable and probably bread, but not here. Not enough food for the money, also presentation is lacking, food is on small plate with no garnishment or embellishment. My steak was good, but that was all I could eat on the plate. The customer is not always right at this establishment. What harm would it have been to substitue fries or regular mashed potatoes and corn for the asparagus and trucker mashed potatoes that came with the dish? Noisy place, feels like a barn. Left hungry and frustrated after a bill of about 100.00 for three people. Will not return there. It is not the wonderful place people write about, especially if you are a picky eater. I could only find one thing on the menu that I would even eat, and was frustrated.Congratulations for losing a customer over your substitution policy.

1  Thank henry n
NYPR22, General Manager at firefly grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Henry, We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit with us & that there wasn't more on our menu that intrigued you. We offer 33 different, made from scratch to order, entrees ranging from $11.50 to $44 for our 10oz Allen Brothers Steak. Is it possible that you received the specials menu only? If so, we certainly apologize. Your experience is extremely important to us & we are always seeking to improve our offerings. Please contact me at 217-342-2002 with any information about dishes you would like to see on our menu. Sincerely, Cara Milewski, General Manager.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have eaten here on a few occasions. It is overrated in my opinion. The food I have ordered has been good, but not over the top great. The prices are high for some items on their menu. It has always seemed to be rather noisy when I've been there for dinner and lunch.

1  Thank Hoosierfan_7
NYPR22, General Manager at firefly grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for sharing your opinion about our restaurant & for the high rating. Regarding the price, our goal is to provide a diverse menu with a large price range to hopefully satisfy all of our customers. We also source incredible local ingredients that are sustainable, beyond organic, and grow many in our garden. Please consider sitting out on our porch area on your next visit with us. It is separate from our main dining area & offers a quieter atmosphere. Sincerely, Cara Milewski, General Manager.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Chef prepared entrees with detail to my vegan preferences. Delicious! Atmosphere is casual with a hint of elegance in rural Illinois. On the edge of town, the area is quiet with a remote feeling.

NYPR22, General Manager at firefly grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

We are so happy to hear you liked the vegan dishes Chef prepared for you! We love hearing from our customers, especially when they enjoyed their experience with us! We will be sure to pass your compliments along to our chefs! Come back & see us soon! Sincerely, Cara Milewski, General Manager.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I read some great reviews on TA before my colleagues went here for a dinner this week. I am allergic to dairy, and made this pretty clear to the server. I was served a minestrone soup with cheese sprinkled on top, and had to send it back. The soup was just OK. I ordered the Asian chicken salad which they told me had only a peanut dressing. When I got home, I immediately got sick and had terrible and scary symptoms over the next 12-16 hours. So, ultimately there was dairy in my salad too. My co-workers got steaks, which they said were good. Overall, this place is likely the only decent place to eat in Effingham. I would give it another try if I were ever back in the area but you have to take people's allergies seriously.

Please accept our sincerest apology & thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take our customer’s food allergies & dietary restrictions very seriously. That said, we will share your experience with our whole staff & it will be remedied immediately. We can assure you that this problem will be alleviated at once & would love for you to give us another try. Sincerely, Cara Milewski, General Manager.