“"SO-SO" service & 15% Gratituty added to check”

Niemerg's Steak House
Ranked #2 of 62 Restaurants in Effingham
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Tennessee
“"SO-SO" service & 15% Gratituty added to check”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This was a quicky trip up to ILL on a Sat. and back home to TN on Sun. My son, sisters and brother live in different parts of ILL. so we always stay in the Effingham area and they all come over to see us. Like before, we go out to eat on Sat. night. For this trip we choose Niemerg's Steakhouse. We always stay at exit 160 (several restaurants are there; Ryans, Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesdays, TGIF, etc., several of these we have ate at) Niemergs is located at exit 159. It has been owned/ran by locals for 30 yrs. Parking can be tricky because parking area is shared with a lounge and a Comfort Suites motel. There was a total of 12 adults and 2 small kids in our party. We didn't have to wait long for a table (tables) but it was after 7:30 PM. Hostess took us to the back, set 4 of us at 1 table and the rest at a round table. Did not ask if we would like tables pushed together. (most other restaurant hostesses would have asked this question) She did not ask if we minded sitting at seperate tables either. Waitress came took drink order. A soda (AKA; coke, pepsi, etc.) will be brought to you in a 6 or 8 oz. glass with 90% crushed ice. (my newphew drunk 2 of these and asked for no ice in the 3RD one and they filled the top part with carbonated water...no kidding!) On with the meal; The menu states something about they don't recommend you ordering a well done or done steak due to it being less juicy. Well I don't care to see pink or blood running out of any meat I eat! I ordered a very well done steak with burbon sauce/glaze. Several at the table ordered steaks. 2 very well done, 1 done, 1 med. well done. Out of the 4 only 1 was cooked right. (and it was not mine) My niece ordered the med well done and it was burnt on the out side. She told waitress she would eat it (waitress did not offer to take it back, she just over heard her talking about it to my newphew) and the waitress said Thank you! (when niece said she would eat it but it was no where close to being med. well done) THANK YOU????
My steak, bake potato, and unlimited trips to salad bar cost $12.99. The steak had a lot of fat on it. Burbon sause was real good, came in a seperate little cup and you poured how ever much you wanted on it. Steak was OK, once you cut off the fatty parts and around the bloody/pink parts. Salad bar was good, cold and very clean looking.They did bring a small loaf of bread to table. But once it was gone they didn't offer to bring any more.
We each paid for our own ticket. Instead of letting us put down what we wanted for a tip they added it to each ticket. And it stated 15%. They (employees) knew they screwed up the order and I don't feel like we got the best of service so I'm "guessing" thats why they added the gratituty. (If its good service and the food is cooked right I don't mind leaving a good tip)
Well Niemergs Steakhouse, we had a choice this past weekend where we wanted to eat at, we choose you, but next time (and there will be a next time) we will choose some where else. Your employees ruined your buisness with us! I would suggest if you would like to make it to 31 years; you have a talking to your employees and move some of them on to the unemployment line! The 2 cashier ladies were fine and friendly.

1 Thank TennesseeJustme

Temperance, Michigan
“Greta Find!”
Reviewed January 17, 2009

Two things:

Unbeliveably cheap!

The food was outstanding!

I had a Philly Steak, hadn't had one in years. It was great. My wife had a pork bar-be-que dinner which she raved about. All of this, plus three beers and a loaf of homemade bread included, was 19.00. Great friendly service. Glad I found this place on our trip through Effingham.

Washington, DC
“Mixed food and service”
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Ate here for lunch and dinner. Fried chicken was good at lunch. Dinner was not acceptable. Ate in bar due to crowd in dining rooms. Ordered "special" NY Strip steak. Most was too tough to cut with gristle. When waiter took it I mentioned it had problems and got a shrug of shoulder. Quick service, maybe too quick, but slow to get check when I was clearly finished. Hope th piece of sugar free pie I got to go is better than experience.

Effingham, IL
“Great Affordable Family Restaurant”
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Niemerg's is a great, affordable family restaurant. The resaurant consists of three restaurants in one. First, there is the Brass Rail Lounge (a casual, quiet bar and grill), the dining room (a more formal eating experience with a buffet), and the lunch cafe (affordable and fast). I'm a local myself, and I have never eaten a bad meal at Niemerg's. While Niemerg's showcases their steak, it is actually the fried chicken the locals enjoy. They have a vast menu including pastas, steak, chicken, fish, and breakfast throughout the day. The cafe area is the most affordable. A person can get by having lunch for under $5. The dining room costs a little bit more, but it includes a buffet with your meal. If you eat in the dining room in the evening, there can sometimes be a long line, but you can sit and wait in the bar sipping on some drinks and the hostess will announce your name over the intercom when your table is ready. I would definately recommend eating here. You get a lot for your money and the service is great!

1 Thank jenna32787
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Always good, and a great...”
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Always good, and a great place to take guests. The strawberry pie is awesome!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook