“Great Food”

Niemerg's Steak House
Ranked #2 of 61 Restaurants in Effingham
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

I went with my family on our way back to Wisconsin. Was very impressed with the quality of the food for the low price it was. The workers were very nice and friendly. Overall it is a good place to stop and grab a great bite to eat.

Visited August 2014

Davenport, Iowa
“Disappointed this time around”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

We have eaten here and liked it before, but not this time. First they put us at a table that was unlevel so we asked to be moved which they did but reluctantly. Their salad bar is huge and more than adequate. But when our steaks came my husband's medium was almost completely raw and my medium rare was overcooked. We sent them back and mine was still overcooked and his was medium well. My baked potato had a large black spoiled part so only about half of it was edible. We probably will go elsewhere next time.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Nanamary
Bend, Oregon
“A case of: you get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Niemerg's is one of the most popular family restaurants in Effingham. The parking lot was full and there were dozens of people waiting in the lobby on the Friday night we were there. The lounge and bar was packed and people looked like they were having a great time. Food is plentiful and cheap: It's just not very good.

I ordered a decent plate of fried chicken served with mashed potatoes, brown gravy, and mixed veggies. I ordered the 'vegetable medley" for an extra 39cents instead of peas or corn. I now know that somewhere in the kitchen freezer there is a package labeled 'vegetable medley" which they boiled up just for me. My son's grilled ribeye steak was1 inch thick, anemic looking, and devoid of flavor. It's not a good sign when a steak house has steak this bad. My advice is to stick to the fried food.

The blackberry pie for dessert was also a disappointment: full of tapioca with a mediocre crust.

The best thing about Niemerg's was that a glass of Stella Artois came in a specially marked Stella goblet.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank DoctorM
Spring Hill, Florida
“This was a GREAT recommendation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

During the trip from Minnesota to Florida, this was our first night on the road. Soloman at the Comfort Suites recommended this. Interesting "older venue" restaurant that pleasantly surprised us.

Niemerg's has a wide variety of items on the menu, going from a nice steak to burgers. Since we were finishing a three week on the road trip, we opted for the burgers. VERY reasonable and included fries and a SALAD BAR. The salad bar has about 30 items that were all fresh. Wife loved the homemade soup. Had the "Stuff N Such" which had mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and cheese inside. Topped with cheese. Pretty good although slightly over cooked so make sure you as for it done to your liking,

An interesting facility with multiple dining rooms. A nice bar area. Incredibly reasonable.

Definitely a great change from the so many chain restaurants that I usually see on trips.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank hevets
Ligonier
“Treat yourself.........eat here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We are from Indiana and travel the country for our jobs. One of our drivers lives in Effingham and RAVES about this place. We finally had the opportunity to dine here and we were VERY pleased. GREAT food, VERY friendly staff (and I mean everyone) and the prices are better than just reasonable. Do yourself a favor, if you are passing by this area.......Eat here. You wont be sorry.

Visited July 2014