“Best Garden Inn”

Holiday Inn Effingham
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Effingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 18, 2010

I have stayed at this Garden Inn several times as it is the halfway mark between my homes in Oklahoma and Canada. This is by far the nicest and best run Garden Inn I have ever stayed at. It is even better than some Hilton Hotels I've been to. Rooms are clean and up to date. The front desk staff has always been very polite to me and has upgraded me to a suite at no extra charge( I am a gold member) every time I have stayed here. The food in the restaurant is fabulous and the drinks from the bar are usually very good. The location is perfect-easy access off and onto the highway with many restaurants, including fast food all surrounding the hotel. Also a Walmart supercenter is right across the street and a plethora of shopping within a few blocks. My favorite "home away from home".

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed October 20, 2009

We arrived after traveling 14 hours and simply inquired if there were any rooms available. The woman at the front desk was so rude to us that we would NEVER stay at this hotel because of her unprofessional attitude. Actually, all she would have had to say would have been, "we are very sorry, but we are full" but instead, she would not look at us (I am not ugly) and said NO, go to such and such. She should have been fired.....Oct. 17th evening clerks.....the man was just as rude.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Chante26
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We stayed at this Hilton Garden Inn while on our way to Indianapolis. Although we had stayed at Hilton Garden Inns before, this was a wonderful surprise. The lobby cookies (which have been at all the HGI's) were of better quality and displayed in a more sanitary fashion than the others. The decor was above the other HGI's we have stayed at. Even the elevator lobbies had a beautiful piece of furniture, mirror, and floral arrangement above the norm. We laughed when we checked into another HGI later in our trip and the difference between the decor was striking. The hotel was also very clean.

The staff was just great. It's a rare thing to see everyone from the front desk clerk to the bartender to the maids have the same great attention to service and detail. We had a room service dinner and it was very good. The breakfast is fabulous. Many more items than the usual HGI fare. I heard several other guests expressing the same sentiment...that this was one of the best breakfasts that had ever had. The hotel also had a fenced, lighted courtyard off the bar area instead of the standard concrete slab that we encountered at other HGI's. It made for an enjoyable evening and made the street noise and lights seem quite a ways away.

We had such an enjoyable stay, we're trying to find another reason to go through Effingham, IL. This was definitely an unexpected and very pleasant oasis on the Interstate.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We've stayed in many HGIs and this is the best we've encountered. The manager is always present and looking over things; that makes a real big difference. He manages it as if it were his own (maybe it is!). The front desk is efficient, the restaurant is first class with a great wait staff, and the rooms are spotless. No other HGI has a better breakfast. Wow, for a highway hotel, it's very difficult to find equal. We always arrange our plans to stay overnight at this HGI.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We stopped at the Garden as a resting place on our way from the East to the Midwest. We had previously stayed at a Garden in Canton, OH. As soon as I walked in the lobby, I was pleasantly surprised by the July 4th decorations. The hotel staff was very friendly, the room was very clean and comfortable. This hotel seemed a little more elegant than the Canton Garden. The pool was typical for this chain but enough for a quick dip. Breakfast was not free but was a buffet with made-to-order eggs, pancakes - It was worth the money. I would definitely stay here again. I thought that the hotel would be in the middle of nowhere, but there were plenty of restaurants (TGI Friday, applebees, etc.) and stores (Kohl's, Walmart, etc.) around! Also, the hotel and room smelled very fresh and clean since the entire hotel is nonsmoking and pet free!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2009

After having such a wonderful experience at the Hilton Garden Inn in Augusta, Georgia, I decided on my next trip to the Chicago area, to make my overnight stop on the trip at a Hilton Garden Inn. I researched Hilton's property locations, and found this one in Effingham, IL, a bustling town right off Interstate 57. This was ideal, as it was only 4 hours from my final destination the next day.
This hotel is easy to locate once you get off exit 160. It is to your left, behind a BP station and TGI Friday's. Upon pulling into the parking lot, you see beautiful landscaping, (typical for Hilton properties), and hear soothing, pleasant music piped into the lobby and parking lot. We were greeted by friendly front desk staff, promptly and efficiently, as per my last Hilton visit, and given our key and we were on our way. We were in room 428 and it was nicely appointed and again, as per usual for Hilton extremely CLEAN. I don't travel with my pets, and one thing I don't do anymore is stay at hotels that accept pets. This hotel has a no smoking and no pets clause. AMEN! LOVE THAT! The rooms smell fresh and clean, and are just that, with freshly laundered bedding for you when you come in. Even the duvet is freshly cleaned for you. That has always been my routine..get into the room, pull off the bedspread, and throw it on the floor...knowing they have NOT been cleaned in ages, and have only God knows what encrusted on them. EWW... Believe me, you may quibble over the 100 odd dollars this room cost, but when it comes to being able to sleep and not worry about someone else's DNA on my legs, it matters not to me. I have done the 50.00 a night Quality Inns and Days Inns, and every time, I have been disappointed in their lack of caring about the condition of their properties. With a Hilton property, you can't go wrong. I have been to 2 now, and both, while not identical in furnishings/appointments, are identical in the parts that matter the most. Cleanliness, friendliness, appreciation for your business, quality of accommodations, Consistency in the Hilton properties is what will make them a success over all of their peers.
Back to the room: The bed was the great Hilton adjustable bed, which you get to pick your firmness...the A/C worked great, and was quiet and kept us comfortable on an unusually hot midwest day. The shower worked well, the bathroom was spotless, the internet whizzed by effortlessly. Tv selection, while not like my Dish Network at home was adequate for our needs. They do offer in room Nintendo games for the younger set for 6.95 an hour. My son was going to partake in this until he found a DS game at the nearby KMART instead! LOL
This hotel is near many restaurants and gas stations. Just a few of the restaurants nearby are: KFC, Wendys, Lone Star Steakhouse, Denny's, Long John's, Culvers. So there is something for everyone here.
If you find yourself in the Effingham, IL area, and are in need of fine accommodations, then I highly recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. Beautiful place, and great folks.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank GeorgiaDisneyLover
Reviewed April 23, 2009

My (then-boyfriend, now-husband) and I stayed here for my birthday in 2006. He surprised me with the hotel room, and it was a great birthday gift! We had a suite with a jacuzzi and a king bed. The linens were fantastic...the comforter was very soft and stylish and of course the sheets were very soft. I had my first experience with a curved shower rod here and ever since I've wanted one for my home! The jacuzzi was nice as well. All in all, the room was very tastefully decorated and suited our needs. I can't say anything about the staff, though, since he was the one who checked in ahead of time and I did not deal with them at all. We had dinner at the TGI Friday's next door and did not partake of the breakfast, so I also cannot review the restaurant; however, living in the area, I know it's a popular brunch spot for the local crowd. I was so sad when the Ramada Inn burned down, but I'm happy they have replaced it with such a high quality hotel!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple