“promises not kept”

Holiday Inn Effingham
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Effingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 24, 2012

A recent family gathering (memorial service for a deceased cousin) resulted in mass confusion and lots of people moving to another hotel. HGI had promised a block of rooms at a reduced price, but within days of setting this up, everyone who called was told no rooms were available. Turns out the hotel had 'sold' all the supposedly held rooms so most people went elsewhere. Management was no help, totally not understanding. Stay at the hotel was fine, but management not honoring their original promise is off-putting, no matter how good the rooms and service.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Just steps away from the Keller Convention Center, the Effingham Hilton Garden Inn is the choice if you are attending a conference. The in-house mini-restaurant does a very good job of breakfast and dinner items, but you can also easily walk across the street to Ruby Tuesday's or cross the parking lot to TGI Fridays for a change of pace. Also, there is a WalMart right across the street in case you forgot to pack something (like I did). Staff was well above average and everthing was claen, the only odd thing was the TV set in the room was the old tube analog set, not the flat screen HD sets that are standard now in most hotels today.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side face away from the Interstate.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Port-A-Fan
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This hotel definitely has the stamp of the franchise owner, much more than most. The customer service was very friendly & efficient. Rooms appeared recently renovated. Microwave & fridge on mine. Very clean. What was really different, although not off-putting because everything else was fine, was the decor in the place. The decorating reminded me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding- large bronze cherubs holding lights, large topiaries, statues, etc. but even though it wasn't my taste. I'd return because it was clean and relatively new. It was great to have a restaurant/lounge right in the lobby, too.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We chose this property based on the previously reported high ratings. While it was adequate, it didn't meet the high ratings. The service was friendly and check-in process relatively simple. The room was basic and the bathroom quite small. Our stay was also interrupted by a lot of late night/early morning noise - apparently a wedding party. Overall the hotel was decent and adequate for one night.

Room Tip: Highest level less noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Wonderful hotel, wonderful staff, wonderful stay. Staying here was really like staying at a resort. The conference center is fabulous too! I highly recommend lunch at the restaurant inside the hotel. Fabulous food! The sweet potato fries ROCK!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank coldfeet52
Reviewed January 23, 2012

My wife and I were travelling along I-70 when a winter storm hit, and we were rear ended by a semi truck a few miles outside of the Effingham. We were very fortunate to even be able to get a room, but once we were there the staff was fantastic. They were fantastic when we finally arrived (even though was 2 AM at this point) and they helped us in everyway possible. The hotel was also extremely nice, very clean, and had comfortable beds. We didn't get to enjoy the pool or fitness center, but they seemed very nice as well. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank dave123md
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Forgive my schmaltziness, but that is exactly the song in my mind when I entered the stunning, and I do mean stunning hotel lobby on New Year's Day. After driving 500 miles through heavy winds and bitter cold the ambiance of the holiday-decorated and welcoming hotel floored me. Decorated to the hilt (no pun intended), the Hilton did not disappoint us in any way, shape or form. The welcome at the desk was warm as the welcoming cookies. Our room was large, clean and well appointed with the most modern of furnishings. The beds were the best I have slept on in any hotel in the U.S. They were fluffy but firm and the pillows were plump and soft. I do not use pillows in my bed at home to sleep on (I don't know why, I just don't) but here I was the princess and there was no pea. The breakfast the following morning was grand and cooked to perfection by their chef who took our personal order and was a Steeler fan by the way! Get the sausages. I was going to return this way on my way back home in a few days and had planned to stay at a bed and breakfast. I mentally cancelled my plans and on the return trip back, the only thought in my mind was a happy expectancy to get back to my marshmallow pillows in this beautiful hotel. I was happy.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family