“Wonderfully hospitable”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Effingham
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Effingham
Reviewed October 22, 2007

I would recommend the Country Inn & Suites in Effingham to anyone who needs to stay somewhere in central Illinois. The experience was positive from first connection (friendly and helpful front desk staff who recommended a good local restaurant and gave us a discount, though we didn't qualify for anything); to the clean, comfortable, recently updated room; to the great continental breakfast; to checkout (when we were actually thanked for staying there!).

If you're tired of hotel staff who apparently don't care about their jobs or their paying customers, I think you'll find the Country Inn & Suites a very welcome change.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liberty123
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Effingham

Reviewed August 13, 2007

Many of my hotel stays are for myself on business. This trip was with my family, and the three of us needed a room for one night. We wanted to spend the night near the center of Illinois on I-70, and so I looked for a room between Effingham and Greenville. Because there were three of us, I was looking for a larger room or two inexpensive rooms. When I found the Country Inn and Suites, I realized I found a practical and affordable option. The room rate through an online booking service was slightly cheaper than directly through the hotel, and there was an extra $10 fee for the third person. The total cost was about $110.

There are lots of hotels in the area, which probably helps keep the room rates affordable in this small town that dominates the central part of Illinois. There are also lots of restaurants near the hotel, including a Cracker Barrel within walking distance.

Our room had a king bed and sofa bed. The room was sufficient for three people to move around comfortably, and a door to the bedroom provided some privacy between the sleeping areas.
The hotel is decorated like other Country Inns where I have stayed. It's clean and bright. The front porch area has a homey feel. I didn't swim in the pool, but it looked to be clean and well maintained. The desk staff was courteous, even during the very busy time when I checked in. Several people arrived at the same time, but the staff worked through it all, greeted each person as he walked in, and took care of all the business.

The room includes breakfast. I normally don't put much emphasis on free breakfast at American hotels because I choose a place for the room. Besides, most included breakfast offerings are little more than toast and cereal. Not so here. The offerings included omelets, sausage, waffles, boiled eggs, toast, cereal, biscuits, and more. It was actually satisfying. The breakfast area was also kept very clean and the food was always being refreshed.

The Effingham Country Inn and Suites is a great value in a good location at a fair price. (CS)

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelerChriss
Reviewed April 26, 2007

I recently stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Effingham for one week. Since I was booking a block of 5 rooms, I contacted the hotel directly. The manager, Keidrah, was very helpful. The hotel is centrally located, with a Super Walmart and various restaurants (ie Cracker Barrel, TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays as well as fast food places) all with in walking distance. We stayed in a Queen suite room, which had two queen size beds as well as a sleeper sofa and a microwave and mini fridge - which came in very handy. The hotel was very clean, including the indoor pool and the housekeeping staff really went the extra mile to make the rooms nice. They would straighten your toiletries on the bathroom counter and leave candy and specially folded towels on the beds. The free continental breakfast was also a plus with waffles, bacon, sausage, bagels, yogurt, fruit, cereal, etc that was constantly being re-stocked. We saved a lot of money by not having to eat breakfast out. I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely recommend this hotel to others. I do have to agree with my fellow reviewer that the water pressure left something to be desired and it did take a while for the water to get hot....you can't have it all, but this comes really close!

• Stayed: April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Jolene1975
Reviewed February 18, 2007

Typical Country Inn. Room was clean, bed was comfy, lobby was cozy.....only 2 things I will add on the negative side: 1. Shower water pressure is very low......took an extra few minutes to get all the shampoo rinsed out......2. Hotel is in a cluster of 3 other hotels plus a restaurant, and directional signs to the Country Inn are non existent.....drove through another hotel parking lot to get there....no big deal, but in blowing snow was confused...other than that, great place!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ASMTSM04
Reviewed July 11, 2006

lovely room, great cookies in lobby, helpful staff, good location near restaurants, easy access to interstate- good bed- appeared to be newly-built- would definitely stay here again- good value for price

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank rsfred
Reviewed July 3, 2006

This is a hotel that has true suites. There is a separate room with a sofabed for person who wants privacy. My party was made up of four family members and a girl friend of one of my sons. She got the sofabed. One flaw was immediately apparent. This is a design flaw that Country Inns needs to address. There were two vents in the room with the sofabed and it immediately got very cold. There was only one vent in the larger room with the two beds. It was closed when we arrived. It could be opened only by standing on the bed. But even after the vent was opened, the room never got cold. Meanwhile, the girlfriend in the other room was so cold that she needed to wear a winter coat. Since this was June 3, 2006, she didn't bring one!

Other than that the rooms were large and clean. The staff was friendly and gracious.

The breakfast was great and had a large variety, including Belgian waffles.

I used the exercise room. Lots of other people wanted to use it early in the morning and there were not enough machines. One reason was that one of the treadmills did not work. We found that if we unplugged it and then replugged it, it would start up. Unfortunately, it would stop unexpectedly in the middle of it being used.

8  Thank Columbo22