“Surprisingly Good Food”

Cuisines: Thai
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Surprisingly Good Food”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Ok, the place is a little tired (understatement). While waiting for our food, I kept trying to figure out what could be done to freshen the place up, as it needs more than a new coat of paint. We sat down at about 8pm on a Wednesday night. There was only one other couple in the restaurant, and for a few seconds, we thought we might bolt, but we remained. Owner was friendly and attentive. We ordered, and she brought us both soup, on the house. It was delicious. We also had the dumplings (wanted spring rolls but she pushed the dumplings and we took that as a hint), Pad Thai, and Mussaman Chicken Curry. Dumplings were tasty, but not made fresh (and she was pushing them that night, as I heard her recommend them to 2 others who came in for take-out). The Pad Thai was delicious and had a wonderful flavor, though no chopped peanuts and very little egg. I have had many versions of Pad Thai and would have to say this one had great flavor. Curry dish was good, with just the right amount of heat. Drawbacks: They have lost their liquor license, so no beer or wine with your meal. Tired decor really needs attention - no, REALLY needs attention. It would be nice to have music playing in the restaurant, instead of dead silence with just the sound of Thai TV coming from the kitchen. Fewer items on the menu, because really, when the place is empty, it's hard to imagine how much of the food could be fresh.

• Visited April 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“A Gem of Place”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Found just off the convergence of two major interstates (I-70 & I-57) on Rt 32 (1/2 mi. west on exit 160), in the midst of every truck stop, fast food restaurant you can imagine is this gem of a restaurant. A "mom and pop" place, where hospitality and the pleasure of the palette are primary. If you like Thai food, you will love this place. So, plan to take a break as you are traveling from here to there and treat yourself to a culinary experience of delight!

• Visited April 2013
Columbus, Ohio
“Effingthai”
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

The food is adequate. Service is fast. Atmosphere is sorely lacking. But for Midwestern USA, this place is okay.

The cowboy and I stopped here on our big roadtrip for a bit of dinner. This fit with our vow to never eat at a chain during a roadtrip.

We started with the chicken satay skewers and spring rolls. No winners in this bunch. However, the peanut sauce was unique -- I believe it had chopped water chestnuts along with peanuts. Not expected but not bad either.

I had the chicken pad mee kow since I was nursing a tender belly. And the cowboy had beef basil extra spicy. Both were fresh and exactly what they should be. But they certainly weren't special.

Oh, I nearly forgot the initial bowl of soup on the house. Pass it up unless you're seriously hungry.

Do yourself a favor and drive 325 miles east to Westerville, Ohio for the best Thai meal in the Midwest at the Thai Grill.

Springfield, Illinois
“Good, mild Thai food”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Pretty good food. I also ate there last year, and I was glad to come back. Both times I did take-out Pad Thai (they don't deliver) and both times were good, although a bit more mild than I'm used to. I also did egg rolls this time, and they were great. The woman who greets you is very friendly, although her English is highly accented so I've had to ask her to repeat her questions.

This time she gave me some cabbage soup to have while I was waiting for my take-out. It was also good, and I appreciated it.

Visited October 2012
Orlando, Florida
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Ita pretty expensive for what you get. The food is good, but tastes premade.

1 Thank Lil_miss_oz