“Too many problems”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Edwardsville
Tennessee
“Too many problems”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Where do I begin? We reserved 3 rooms at the beginning of June for my son's mid-July wedding but when we called ahead for early check-in they only had one room reserved. They couldn't explain it but apologized for the mistake and luckily were able to get that resolved. The king room is small. My wife got up at 3am and bumped into the ironing board as she got out of bed. She reacted and reached for the iron as it fell only to find out that the iron hadn't auto-shutoff from using it 15 hours earlier. When I went to the front desk to ask for pain reliever for her burned fingers and explained what happened the clerk actually charged me $1 for the Tylenol instead of apologizing for the cheap unsafe fire hazard iron. As I left my room one day I picked up the wrong keycard so I had to go to the front desk to get a replacement since I was locked out. The clerk asked for my room number and started recoding the key. When I asked if she needed to see an ID she said "no, I trust you". Are you kidding? It also seemed like the hotel side doors never required your room key to open, even late at night, which was not good considering my son told me "there was a hobo sleeping in the gazebo last night". The breakfast was not good; Walmart "Great Value" brands, bad taste cheap brand coffee creamer, the OJ still had 1/2 can frozen concentrate that wasn’t dissolved sitting in the bottom of the glass dispenser, coffee was empty. I reserved the room with a credit card but gave them a different credit card when we checked in; they charged the first credit card. One of the other guests took the luggage cart (apparently only 1 working cart) out to his car and kept it by his car for over 30 minutes so we took multiple trips to carry our luggage to our car. We had other family members staying as well and they had to wait for the cart.
This hotel may be part of a chain but does not give the impression of a big corporate managed hotel, which could be a good thing ... and I really wanted to like the place as I do like mom-and-pop businesses. But way too many things were not good. Yes, we could have put the iron away and it was my mistake for picking up the wrong keycard, but still. Most of the problems should be easily fixable so if they read this review, maybe it will improve. I selected "average" for a rating because I really wouldn't call it "poor" but we will try another hotel next time. Too bad because it is conveniently located next to Sonic and across the street from a shopping center with plenty of places to eat as well as a Circle K.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Trip_Taker5573

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
White Hall, Illinois, United States
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We spent one night here. It's a decent, basic place. The lobby is inviting and our desk staff (two) were very friendly and cheerful.

The room was very small (king) and I agree with an earlier review that it was about one step to hit something. Not bad though for one night. Only one ice machine in the building worked. Breakfast was an egg casserole, biscuits & gravy. Other basics like toast and OJ.

Our only problem was a cloying scent. Like those scents they try to spray at the car wash. It really bothered my wife. She wasn't able to sleep at all and we felt it necessary to leave early. In the morning, the desk clerk assured me that they don't use any kind of scent and she'd check it out. I sort of guessed someone had snuck a smoke there and they sprayed to cover it.

Other than that, it's a decent basic place to stay. Too small to spend more than a day or two.

Room Tip: Check for scented spray in the room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John K
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I refused to go back to the (un)Comfort Inn with another of my bands, and it was a great choice. Homey and cared for property with free breakfast, free internet, secure parking, friendly service, even real coffee cups available. Comfortable beds and pillows - always the for me.

Room Tip: mixed in a business strip and some nicer industrial buildings, not much to see aside from patches of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steve O
Marion, Illinois
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We attended a funeral mass in St. Louis on Saturday. We were weary. We had stayed at the Country Hearth Inn and Suites a number of times before, and had a problem on one occasion. We decided that we would try it one more time. We were so glad we did! The garden suite on the first floor was away from all the hustle and bustle. It was tucked in the corner of the floor and we could walk right to the lobby. The suite was simply immaculate. I almost felt like it had been cleaned extra due to our previous complaint. Needless to say, with the whirlpool tub and room we indeed had our rest. We went ahead and booked the same suite and other rooms for our son's wedding in July. I hope we continue to be pleased.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Momof2boys777
Worden, IL
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We checked into a room on the 3rd floor during the afternoon. By the time the other guests had checked in, there was a definite lack of sound proofing through the door. We were offered a different room, but at 10:30 p.m. we decided to just go home (we live locally, but needed a get-a-way night). We were charged full price for the room. I asked if anyone from the hotel personally checked out our complaint with that particular room and no one had. The manager was unwilling to refund our $ in part or full. We have stayed at this hotel in the past and enjoyed it, but this is very disappointing since no one from the hotel is willing to at least check out or fix the problem with the room. A full $120 later, we will no longer be using this hotel or decide to send anyone else there. It is very unfortunate!

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 3rd floor garden suites.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julie S

Travelers are raving about these Edwardsville hotels

Edwardsville, Illinois
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Slept less than 2 hrs skin on hands and face are swollen, red and almost to point of bleeding. Spoke to manager on duty and she says that she can't even discount my rate because there is not probable cause. Also, my quoted phone rate was $85 and I am being billed for $90, I am sure that this is before taxes etc. Staff was unhelpful and disorganized. My family will never ever stay here again. If u r looking for a good hotel in Edwardsville Il. I would definately recommend that you looking elsewhere. I would have honestly slept better in my vechile.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank j e
st louis
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Nice hotel close to SIUE great place to stay. Nice breakfast and very nice staff. I think the coffee is great unlike other reviews. The coffees not star bucks but its's free.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cardsfan000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edwardsville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edwardsville
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 3 in Edwardsville
Americas Best Value Inn - Collinsville / St. Louis
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis-Edwardsville
Super 8 Troy IL/St. Louis Area
Doubletree Collinsville/St. Louis

Been to Country Hearth Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!