“Classic English seaside stay”
Review of Roslin Beach Hotel

Roslin Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thorpe Bay
Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you want a classic English seaside break with an upgrade, then the Roslin Hotel is the place to stay.

It feels like it has passion and pride built into it, with its careful decor and neat rooms.

The food and drinks were the highlight of my stay here. My soya latte (which seemed to be an unusual request, but taken without difficulty) and cake for elevenses were delicious and the wine (which was part of a compelling list) and seabass I had for dinner were a real treat. Sadly I didn't get the sea view I expected from the website photos to accompany my meal, but I was able to sit out to enjoy an aperitif.

We went to the Palace Theatre during our stay and were surprised by the truly talented young actors who took on Godspell with gusto! We came back to the party end of a wedding reception, which whilst tucked away and hardly noticeable from the bar, was disappointingly apparent when I went back to my seafront room. I'd paid extra for the view, but when it came to it, I was more than happy to switch my single room above the sounds of the Macarena for a peaceful double with a view of the hotel walls and windows. The only thing that let the Roslin down was that the room change wasn't as forthcoming as I would have expected, considering I could hear the lyrics to the music downstairs, it was so loud.

The spa attached to the hotel seems like a nice touch, although I never got to sample it as I was too busy eating fish and chips and ice cream amongst the tat of Southend on Sea and enjoying the old fashioned train on the pier.

Room Tip: Steer away from a room above the main hotel, restaurant and bar if you want a good night's sleep...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,711)

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed at Roslin Beach in November 2012 and again this month, July 2013. Provided us with a very well appointed garden room with a veranda and place to sit out. Provided my mother with a room with walk in shower, grab rails and other modificiations for frail / disabled visitors.

Becca at reception couldn't have been more helpful from taking our reservation to fixing our restaurant booking. All staff very attentive, courteous and friendly.

Had a brilliant dinner for my extended family in the restaurant - something for everyone.

All together a very pleasurable and reasonably priced stay .

Room Tip: 008 for disabled facilities. Good sea view. 504 (no sea view) for private secluded room with small...
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We always stay here when visiting relatives and have had many parties here including my husbands 60th.
The hotel, staff and rooms all live up to expectations and beyond. Food and service is always excellent. Quality and service remains constant.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank KarenM8012
jh123Southend, Manager at Roslin Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

On behalf of the whole team at the Roslin Beach hotel , I would like to thank you for taking the time and leaving such a lovely review . We are passionate about the hotel and the service we offer. We look forward to welcomming you back in the near future

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked at short notice, for one night to make the most of the nice weather. I had booked through booking.com where my room was described as a "family room with a double and a single." When we arrived we only had a double. No bed for my daughter. This was rectified by use of a sofa bed, but it wasn't what I had paid for ultimately. To me, a family room should comfortably have space for proper beds. With the sofa bed down there wasn't much room left for anything else. I think it's a bit cheeky to charge more for this and describe it as a family room.
Aside from this the room was fine. The bathroom needs attention: when the shower is on its spray reaches to the other end of the room! The toilet was soaked. I sacrificed a couple of towels just to keep the room vaguely dry.
We had made a dinner reservation for 6.15pm. I'll spare you the details but the waiting staff were pretty dreadful, didn't seem to know what they were doing, or what menu was available that night. The menu was expensive, and initially I had been happy to pay more for the convenience of eating in, but it quickly became apparent that while happy to charge 5 star prices, the waiters and waitresses were more 2 star. If you are going to charge £20-25 for a mains then people expect a certain standard of service. Carlos would barely speak English, let alone communicate with me over the menu. Needless to say we left, took a taxi to Pizza Express and didn't regret it one bit.

2  Thank Kov

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review, we always remain open to guests feedback as it assists us to identify areas that need improvment. Training is at the heart of our drive for excellence and we are geniunely commited to guests satisfaction.I would welcome a future opportunity for you to experience our usual very high standards at The Roslin

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here recently. Booked the room via Booking.com and got a good price which was a bonus. We had a room at the front with a sea view which was lovely. Staff were very efficient and welcoming. There was a wedding being held at the hotel on the night that we stayed and what was really annoying was that the guests seemed to congregate below our room to smoke all night long (well at least until 3am). As the night was warm we had our window open and the smell of cigarette smoke was over powering. In this day and age I would suggest that the hotel have a designated area for smokers well away from the front entrance to the hotel so that other people aren't inconvenienced. Would I return......? Possibly although when returning to Southend at the end of September I have booked rooms at another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

I sincerely appriciate you taking the time to provide your very valuable feedback and comments about your recent stay. We do infact have a designated smoking shelter at the hotel but this was obviously not used during your stay. I have now put procedures in place to try to stop this happening in future. I do hope that I can welcome you back to stay at the Roslin in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

First experience of The Roslin Beach, based on previous Tripadvisor comments left us somewhat cool overall. I'm beginning to think I am over fussy, but when I arrive at 13:15 I don't expect to be turned away because "Check-in starts at 2 o'clock". We explained politely, that we had travelled up from Sussex and were due at a Garden Party locally and we would like to freshen up before visiting my relatives. All we got was "Check-in starts at 2 o'clock". So, we threw our bags back into the car and left for our Garden Party, somewhat disgruntled. The offer of the Ladies Powder Room and perhaps, we could look after your bags until later, seemed a very distant prospect.
Arriving back at the Hotel much later that evening, we were greeted by a different Receptionist who 'fell over herself' to be obliging and all the Hotels amenities were pointed out to us most professionally.
Our room, turned out to be in an adjacent annex and not actually in the main Hotel, something we were actually quite pleased about, as a large wedding was by now in full swing. Having lugged our suitcases up two flights of stairs, the pleasantly, modern, nicely decorated room was in the roof of an adjacent semi-detached house.
The en-suite Bathroom was fresh and quite large, although there was nowhere to hang our wash bags or Robes and these ended up inevitably on the floor! The heated towel rail was belching out heat, even tho' it was mid summer and baking hot just under the roof tiles and could not be switched off.
The dormer window had a nice view into the windows of the houses opposite and if you stood on tippy toes, you could also see the sea.
Generally the room was nice, a bigger bed would have suited two medium sized people better and a mattress topper that fitted the small double bed would have been even better than the single bed mattress topper we had fitted! The pillows were obviously made for a proper sized double bed and spilled out over the side of the small double installed.
Tea, Coffee & Hot Chocolate making facilities were adequate, but again, the tiny cups make the one size Tea, Coffee etc., overly strong, although two bottles of water were provided one assumes for beverage making, as filling the kettle from a bathroom tap never seems quite right to me.
Breakfast was ok, although a slightly frenzied affair, with wedding guests battling with normal guests (I don't mean wedding guests aren't normal btw!) for the eggs and sausages.
Checkout went fine with the loan Receptionist/Telephonist coping well, until the telephone rang and we were left to our own devices to finish off and left all the things we thought he needed on the counter before walking out without so much as a thank you or hope to see you again.
Overall, we thought that The Roslin Beach was ok for an overnight stop, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't book on a weekend. It seems this is the local Wedding Reception Hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GrumpahGeoff
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We booked for one night because some of my family live in Essex and staying the night made it more enjoyable
I was so impressed I wasn't expecting such a lush hotel
I was dreading sleeping in the heat but we had wonderful air con
We were upgraded to a sea view which was lovely,the bed was large and comfy the bathroom was fine
We did not eat in the restaurant unfortunately as my family had booked elsewhere but the menu looked amazing and the lay out of the tables with the sea view looked great
The buffet breakfast was really fantastic the service in the hotel was second to none
I will definitely be going back

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank platform
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thorpe Bay
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Premier Inn Southend-On-Sea (Thorpe Bay) Hotel
Prested Hall Hotel
Prested Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Feering

Been to Roslin Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!