“Good pub”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Catton
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Crown in catton is a small friendly village pub set within the North Pennines area of outstanding natural beauty. The Crown doesn't claim to be something its not. The community and the people that visit us want a pub, thats not to say we don't do scrumptious food, we try our best! Outstanding views of the Allen valley through the panoramic windows..... And a roaring fire for those cooler nights!
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Visited twice from our b&b in Allendale. Excellent staff, very friendly. Nice and cosy on a cold evening with lovely open fire and sofa. Food was good. New owner has plans to open up the lovely view with larger windows so will get even better!

2  Thank Linda R

Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Was down that way over the weekend and popped in for a meal & drink. We were welcomed in and sat beside the coal fire which was great. We ordered our food and everything was home cooked even down to the chips that mum use to make really nice little place and well priced. Would visit again if ever down that way again.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We love this tint little pub in the small village of Catton, thrilled that it has opened again as living in the countryside means we don't get many local pubs. The new owner Andy is great, food is fantastic, really enjoyed my chicken tikka masala when I went in for a meal with my husband, but the best part about this pub, is the atmosphere, the staff are friendly, the locals are friendly and we just love going in there, not only that, we have had some fantastic advise from Simon about our horse :)

1  Thank GeordieJoNewcastle
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We came through the door on a rainy Wednesday evening, soaked to the bone. Within 5 minutes we were warming up by a lovely log fire with hot food on the way, and that food turned out to be some of the best either of us had ever eaten! My girlfriend had the cumberland sausage and mash (which I nicked a little bit of to taste - it was so good that even I loved it and I hate mashed potato) and I had one of the day's specials, a beef stroganoff. (Which was absolutely spectacular.)

The food was delicious, warming and hearty, and frankly, it gave me the strength to tackle the 250 mile drive home! The staff were full of character and made us feel welcome even though we were so obviously from out of town (I'm a soft southerner and she's American), and the decor inside was charming, cosy, and made the pouring rain outside feel a million miles away. The subtle lighting and warm fire made it especially romantic - unexpected, to be sure.

Unfortunately we didn't get to have any beer since we had a long drive ahead of us, but next time we're up that way we'll definitely be sampling some.

Thanks for taking the chill out of our bones!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is a lovely old pub and a good stop for walkers. The new owners allow dogs in, which the old ones did not while food was being served. The selection of beer is good and they serve Allendale ales. We had sandwiches and chips, which were good but for a plain brown bread roll with grated cheese I thought a bit on the high side price wise.
Real fire and friendly bar staff. As we regularly walk through Catton we will go again.

1  Thank Jayne W