“Great it has reopened! New owners are Fab too!”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Catton
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Crown in catton is a small friendly village pub set within the North Pennines area of outstanding natural beauty. The Crown doesn't claim to be something its not. The community and the people that visit us want a pub, thats not to say we don't do scrumptious food, we try our best! Outstanding views of the Allen valley through the panoramic windows..... And a roaring fire for those cooler nights!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great it has reopened! New owners are Fab too!”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We love this tint little pub in the small village of Catton, thrilled that it has opened again as living in the countryside means we don't get many local pubs. The new owner Andy is great, food is fantastic, really enjoyed my chicken tikka masala when I went in for a meal with my husband, but the best part about this pub, is the atmosphere, the staff are friendly, the locals are friendly and we just love going in there, not only that, we have had some fantastic advise from Simon about our horse :)

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank GeordieJoNewcastle

Sawtry, United Kingdom
“Amazing, warming food!”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We came through the door on a rainy Wednesday evening, soaked to the bone. Within 5 minutes we were warming up by a lovely log fire with hot food on the way, and that food turned out to be some of the best either of us had ever eaten! My girlfriend had the cumberland sausage and mash (which I nicked a little bit of to taste - it was so good that even I loved it and I hate mashed potato) and I had one of the day's specials, a beef stroganoff. (Which was absolutely spectacular.)

The food was delicious, warming and hearty, and frankly, it gave me the strength to tackle the 250 mile drive home! The staff were full of character and made us feel welcome even though we were so obviously from out of town (I'm a soft southerner and she's American), and the decor inside was charming, cosy, and made the pouring rain outside feel a million miles away. The subtle lighting and warm fire made it especially romantic - unexpected, to be sure.

Unfortunately we didn't get to have any beer since we had a long drive ahead of us, but next time we're up that way we'll definitely be sampling some.

Thanks for taking the chill out of our bones!

• Visited April 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Nice to see it open again”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is a lovely old pub and a good stop for walkers. The new owners allow dogs in, which the old ones did not while food was being served. The selection of beer is good and they serve Allendale ales. We had sandwiches and chips, which were good but for a plain brown bread roll with grated cheese I thought a bit on the high side price wise.
Real fire and friendly bar staff. As we regularly walk through Catton we will go again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jayne W
Allendale, United Kingdom
“The Crown at Catton”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Lovely old pub with helpful staff and great ambience.
The food was brilliant that I must return there before the end of the year to enjoy more tasty food at very reasonable prices !

Visited June 2013
1 Thank johannesvonbuch
Hexham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland and Unexciting”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Went to The Crown a couple of months ago with friends. The Crown prides itself on it's locally sourced ingredients. It was music night and the place was full, but fortunately we'd booked a table - unfortunately seated 2 tables from the stage, so conversation was impossible. 2 of us are vegetarians and the menu choice was 1 - pasta penne with mushrooms in a cream sauce. That is exactly what we got - no other ingredients and certainly no seasoning and no locally sourced produce. The chaps went for fish and chips which were nothing special either. Deserts were much of the same. The overall experience was an unexciting and below average meal for an average pub price.

• Visited April 2013
Crowncatton, Owner at The Crown, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that you found your trip to The Crown to be 'un exciting.'

Firstly we do use as many locally sourced ingredients in our dishes as possible.
We pride ourselves on the fact that everything is homemade!
It is interesting that you mention the pasta dish had no other ingredients because It certainly does contain garlic, onions, white wine, and also rocket.
We never would just serve a plain Cream, mushroom dish!
We do also, have a selection of vegetarian starters which can be served as main size portions. But we typically offer one main vegetarian dish because we don't actually sell many vegetarian meals.
We are very willing to meet our customers needs so if anyone has any special requests or would like a different dish either when they are here with us or before they arrive, we do our very best to accommodate.

'Fish & chips were bland' -
We do buy good quality haddock. Our chips are hand cut and our beer batter homemade.
Our fish & chips are a dish that we are regularly complimented on.

Dessert being 'much of the same'
As I am a defiantly a dessert queen I do like to make sure we have a range of desserts on our menu- which would typically include...
Sticky toffee pudding, banoffee meringue, chocolate fondant, fruit crumble, wheel birks ice creams and cheese selection.
I do feel we have a good selection of puddings for everyone.

Lastly, I am very pleased to hear you joined us on an evening when we were full. Obviously live music can be quite loud. It is difficult on an evening of live music to seat people because usually customers that ring earlier will already have requested the tables in the bar area. Therefore there are limited tables left and unfortunately they are very close to the musicians.
I do recall that your party rang late that afternoon and It was made very clear that we had live music playing on that particular evening.

Again I would like to apologise that you felt your first visit to your local village pub was unexciting