“Great oysters but overall expected more for the price ”

Jonah's Seafood House
Reserve with OpenTable
Jonah's Seafood House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 109 Restaurants in East Peoria
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

The husband & I came here for New Years Eve as a special treat. We found the Oysters Rockefeller to be very tasty and enjoyed the herb butter & bread. If we had stopped there, our review would be more positive. Our main dishes (marlin with cream sauce & grouper oscar) didn't seem worth their steep price tag ($25-30 each.) The fish itself tasted good, as did the augratin potatoes but there wasn't much flavor in anything else & the portions were small.

We are familiar with fancy small portion restaurants, but Jonah's seemed more on the average side. Next time we are in Peoria & want seafood we will go to Joe's Crab Shack where the bill was substantially less & the flavors equal or better.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch here while in town for business. After entering, I stood and stood before a waiter finally noticed me and came to the hostess desk to help me. Just then the hostess came up and was hostile to the waiter. I did not need to see that.
After being seated, my waitress was surley, and inattentive. I believe she was an anomoly, as I saw other wait staff being very friendly and attentive to other tables.
For a seafood house, the lunch menu was curiously light on fish.
I had but a limited time so I ordered clam chowder and a salad, both of which were adequate. The salad was not especially fresh tasting, but nothing was especially wrong with it either. The chowder should have been great, but it was adequate at best. The soup had that "slick" look and feel of canned soup. I cannot believe that it was canned, but it surely had that taste. If canned, it was good quality. If it was house made, it was OK - at best. However the presentation sealed the deal, the soup was super thick, and barely warm enough to eat. Served with cold bread and rock hard pat of butter. Meh.
I'll go back if someone else is paying.

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

While overall not the best seafood restaurant in which I've ever eaten, Jonah's has the most delicious clam chowder I've ever eaten away from the east coast! And...it comes with your entree! The other menu items we tried were prepared well, but nothing special. I'd go back just for that chowder!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We recently celebrated my husband's 65th birthday at Jonah's. We had a large family group including 4 in high chairs. The staff was most accommodating and gave us a table with a lovely view of the river. Both the food and service were excellent and they allowed us to bring in a special birthday cake. Great place to celebrate a special occasion.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I've been here many times. I dined here by myself this time - was put at a table in a corner. Had a nice view but WOW- talk about isolation! I wish I had known/realized that there was a separate bar menu. My dinner which was gumbo (VERY tasty) and crabcakes (eh), dessert (good) and two drinks was over $40. Can't do that every night, even on an expense account. Service was friendly but not extremely attentive. All in all, it was just OK.